PDA

View Full Version : Wiki: Help needed

Darren Null
02-26-2010, 11:30 AM
As requested, a wiki to serve as a pool of shared information has been set up. This particular model is new to me, & I'm still getting to grips with it: I went for the one with most toys. Some notable ones are:
--> Directory (a list of useful sites, broken down into categories with a short description for each...a 'group bookmarks')
--> File repository (for CDR files, patterns, templates, useful utilities whatever)
--> Image galleries (photos of work done, add photos to tutorials, etc)
--> A FAQ system
--> A forum...I don't expect to get much use out of this as I don't want to be competing with SMC, but it may be useful for internal Wiki biz, so I switched 1 forum on
--> Calendar
--> 'MyTiki', which is a sort of lightweight combination of the above for personal use; where you decide who shares the files/info. I haven't nailed the security down yet, so I'd advise some caution in what you put in here right now.
--> Spreadsheet. An 'experimental' feature in this version of the wiki. In theory, it's possible to put the fabled speed/power/material database online, once I figure out how to work it.

So. Help needed: It's obviously too big a job for one person, so if anyone would care to step up and offer to help administer it that would help tremendously. Many hands make light work etc.

Information needed:
Anything that would benefit the group, really. Of particular interest would be:
-Useful links
-Files
-Organised collections of information
-Tutorials
-Materials information
-FAQs
-Manufacturer information
-Software information
-Suppliers information (please be sure to specify the country/continent)

Legal/tactical/intent info:
-The purpose of this site is not to compete with SMC in any way. I see it more as SMC's 'Appendix A', or a complimentary reference work, but without the searching for info.
-The site is currently on a free server and the operating costs are nothing but time right now. The account it's on will cope with a fair degree of expansion. So it's free for now & the forseeable future. It's possible that the site will have to go onto paid hosting if it gets really popular, but if that happens, the charges will be both transparent and very reasonable (I'm the webdesign equivalent of a coupon-clipper).
-I'm still working on the licensing & TOS, but it boils down to 'please play nice' and 'you can use stuff from here for whatever you feel like; personal or commercial'
-If you upload files, can you please make sure that 1) you have permission from the copyright-holder (you, ideally) and that 2) You don't mind people using it for whatever they want.

Please PM if you have questions/want to help. darren(at)lasered.info also.