PDA

View Full Version : Mantle Clock

Rick Moyer
02-26-2010, 8:51 AM
no pics because I didn't build one yet! I am looking for ideas, suggestions, and any tips or assistance you can give. LIke, "be aware of..", or "_____ is the best place to get clock parts", etc. Of course your pics of what you have made would be helpful too. Thanks!

Lee Schierer
02-26-2010, 8:56 AM
Try Klockit for clock parts and clock ideas. They sell parts, kits and plans. They are a quality outfit to deal with.

John Thompson
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Never built one but ditto Lee on Klock-it as I have purchased several small clock faces to insert in round holes from them.. Top notch company and product..

Pat O'malley
02-26-2010, 10:51 PM
+1 for Klockit, I've ordered several times from them, they are very friendly and helpful with ordering. I've also talked with their tech support for a couple of questions, again friendly and helpful...Pat

Gary Breckenridge
02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
I built one of the clocks from Klockit. I built from plans and I changed them a bit. I thought some of the wood pieces should be 3/8 instead of 1/4 and so on to make the door a bit stronger.. They are a first rate company. If you can do an upgrade on the mechanism I would do it.:cool:

Rick Moyer
02-28-2010, 11:36 AM
Gary, I see that most kits you can order "plans only", components, or complete kit. Did you purchase a complete kit, or the plans and components? I am guessing that the complete kit comes with all the material pre-cut? I suspect for using our own wood we would get the plans and components rather than a complete kit, correct?

Myk Rian
02-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I built this small cherry and walnut clock using a movement from Klockit. Has a Westminster chime, but the Daughter turned the volume off. :(
www.Klockit.com

David Thompson 27577
02-28-2010, 3:42 PM
no pics because I didn't build one yet! I am looking for ideas, suggestions, and any tips or assistance you can give. LIke, "be aware of..", or "_____ is the best place to get clock parts", etc. Of course your pics of what you have made would be helpful too. Thanks!

First, decide what movement will be used. Without this decision, you can't know what size to make the mountings.

For example, if you will use a key-wound eight day movement, your clock needs to be much stronger than if you'll be using a battery powered quartz.

(And note that cost will be a big factor in that decision.)

Then look through some catalogs or websites for design ideas. As others have mentioned, Klockit is a good one. I've also used Murray Clock Craft in teh (distant) past with great luck. And there might also be a good craft store in your area that has at least the quartz movements.

Having those ideas, you can decide to design your own, buy plans, or buy a kit.

Greg Coleman
02-28-2010, 3:58 PM
I have this one on my bench now. I changed the moldings slightly. The clock insert is from Klockit. The hardware kit came with the insert, brass feet, handle, and turn buttons to secure the back.

file:///C:/Users/Denise/Pictures/woodstore_2094_135722232.jpg143595

Gary Breckenridge
02-28-2010, 8:50 PM
I bought the plans, glass and works. I made the rest. If I didn't have a shop I would have bought a complete kit which I think is a nice way for the non woodworker to make a clock.:cool:

Rich Huhra
03-01-2010, 9:30 AM
I built this from plans bought a Woodcraft, the works are from Merritts.

Dave Lehnert
03-01-2010, 5:20 PM
I built this clock from WOOD magazine. Maybe 10 years ago. What is neat about it the movement is mounted on a removable board. The clock in the photo is hanging on the wall but flip it around for a mantle clock.