PDA

View Full Version : Aligning band saw wheels

David Peacock
02-25-2010, 11:48 PM
I recently purchased a Jet 14" bandsaw. In trying to get the wheels aligned, I can't seem to get there. Using a long stright edge, the wheels are off more on top than the bottom of the same wheel. How do I get the wheels the same at the top and the bottom?
The blade tracks on the center of the top wheel and to the outer edge of the bottom wheel. Any help appreciated.

Dan Forman
02-26-2010, 5:38 AM
Here's how it's done on an MM16, should be similar on the Jet. Scroll down to "steps to adjust coplaner" http://jwsjoinery.com/jws/bsm.htm

Dan

Myk Rian
02-26-2010, 7:31 AM
On my Delta, I loosened the lower wheel and pulled it out on the axle a smidge. Not sure if a Jet allows that.

Marty Paulus
02-27-2010, 8:20 AM
On my delta I made the wheels parallel first using the blade tracking screw. Don't worry about how the blade tracks at this point. If the wheels are not co-planer then the blade tracking doesn't really matter at this point. Each move of the wheel may require a small move of the tracking screw to keep the wheels parallel.

lowell holmes
02-27-2010, 8:47 AM
I aligned my Jet bs by shimming it on the top wheel. It is not recommended that you do so on the Jet, but I did it anyway. I read thet the Jet bearings and axle on the top wheel would not tolerate the extra force caused by the shimming.

Having said that, I used shim washers at the local corner hardware store. The bolt on the wheel is a reverse thread. You loosen the nut by turning the wrench clockwise. It is a quick and easy task after you decide to do it.

I did it three years ago. I've had no failures yet.

Check the following link.
http://www.ehow.com/how_5689640_align-jet-bandsaw-wheels.html

There are other links if you google it.

Paul Atkins
02-27-2010, 12:26 PM
I'd think Jet should take care of it before you try to fuss with it. There is no excuse for a saw to be off right out of the box. Of course they might think it is within the specs.

lowell holmes
02-27-2010, 6:36 PM
After re-reading your post, I suspect your wheels are not in the same plane. Mark Duginske's book (The Bandsaw Hnadbook) addresses this.

The wheels should be in the same vertical plane. The wheels are co-planar whwn they are in the same plane. According to Duginske, excessive blade tension can cause the wheels to be non-coplanar.

The blade tracking is adjusted by skewing the top wheel. So the top of the wheel may not be in the vertical plane.

IIRC, Fine Woodworkiing has addressed this in articles.