PDA

View Full Version : How much horsepower for a router lift?

keith micinski
02-25-2010, 11:40 PM
I have been looking for a quicklift on Craigslist forever and I may have finally found one. Unfortunately I wanted to get one for the Milwaukee 5625 but this one is for the bosch 1617. I have a raised panel bit but have never used it and 99 percent of the time I just use the router for trim and edge detail work. I want to get a lock mitre bit in the future also and maybe a tenoning bit. I currently only have a 1 1/2 hp Makita 1100 router mounted in my table and it has always done the job for me as near as I can tell. I don't really think I need 3 1/4 horse but I hate to limit myself. What do you guys think? I also need to mention while budget isn't a deal breaker it is a factor and I would rather not spend hundreds of extra dollars on a lift and router if I don't have to because I really don't use my router as often as my other tools.

Mike Reinholtz
02-25-2010, 11:48 PM
While my router table doesn't have a separate lift, I do run the big Milwaukee and regularly spin raised panel bits with back cutters without issue. Although I have a shaper as well for raised panels, I have more panel bits for the router and so far haven't been disappointed. I use the above table crank the Milwaukee has incorporated into the base and have been pretty happy with it. I should state I am no where near a production shop, so if time changing bits is a factor the lift might be nice, I've just never found the need. I have no experience with that Bosch so I can't help you there.

keith micinski
02-26-2010, 12:18 AM
After rereading it looks like the quicklift will also accept the PC 890 and a dewalt 618 so I have a couple of 2 1/4 hp options. This is kind of nice because it gives me a lot of options for getting a good deal on a router also.

glenn bradley
02-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Dad runs a Triton 2-1/4HP in the table. Comparing it to my 5625/PRL is like comparing my hybrid tablesaw to a 3HP cabinet saw. The smaller tools do the job and rarely complain. The more powerful tools do the job more easily and inspire more personal confidence; at least for me.

P.s. . . . JMHO . . . Buying a smaller router just so it will fit the lift seems backward to me. I would run the 5625 without a lift in preference to the smaller router with a lift. YMMV as the lift function may be more important to you than the cutters power. I ran the 5625 without a lift for quite awhile and only got the lift when a good deal came along.

keith micinski
02-26-2010, 12:36 AM
Actually the lift is the main reason for this. My current router table has a great fence but the router plate has warped because it was some cheap plastic router plate. Plus the fine adjustment and above table bit changes really seem like nice options. As I said the 1 1/2 hp power I have been dealing with seems to have gotten the job done so going up to 2 1/4 would still be an upgrade for me. Plus this would end up being about 250 to 275 cheaper then the Milwaukee and the quick lift for it.

Randal Stevenson
02-26-2010, 12:49 AM
It really sounds like your mind is made up already.

If all you really do is edge and trim work, then this would work for you. BUT, if you enjoy woodworking and your long term goals include lots of raised panels (verses smaller bits, more passes, and occasional raised panels), then you may be better off, building a new top (plate less), and saving up for a larger router, and/or lift.

I could have got by with a 2+hp router, but I got a deal on the 5625 a few years ago (Black Friday thing), and then decided the lift was a good option. (I am young, but history of knee problems in the family)

keith micinski
02-26-2010, 12:57 AM
Ya I think you are right. I probably have made my mind up. An extra 3/4 horse and a lift are a pretty nice upgrade from what I have now. Plus I really don't see myself ever making more then a raised panel here or there and as near as I can tell the 2 1/4 horse is way more then enough to run most other bits I might ever come across.

Van Huskey
02-26-2010, 1:26 AM
Although you have your own opinion and it is your money but I will throw my hat on the monster router band wagon. I would suggest a PC 7518 the way I look at it there is a reason it is the first router a lieft or accessory is designed for.

Chip Lindley
02-26-2010, 2:12 AM
Router Lifts are quite convenient but not really a necessisity! Big routers such as the P-C 7518 can be adjusted quite well in their own base, bolted beneath a sturdy router table. I used such an arrangement for years with P-C 690 routers before being blessed with a couple of bargains:

JessEm router lift on CL for $100, and a P-C 7519 single speed router on ebay for $89. Both in very good condition. Even after shipping added another $40, still gloatworthy. No way I would have paid List for either one. Just not worth it! Not to me!

Cody Colston
02-26-2010, 10:23 AM
I have a PC 895 in my table. I got it for the built-in lift but it went kaput after about a year. I was able to get a Rousseau lift for around $100 at Amazon and have been using it for a couple or three years now. It works great.

I have no problem raising panels with the 2 1/4 hp router. I raise them in three passes with the final pass just skimming the wood to clean up any unconformity.

Variable speed is needed for running the larger panel bits but I think even a 1 1/5 hp router would work fine for occassional raised panels, especially if multiple passes are done.

If you are making so many raised panels that a 3 1/4 hp router is needed, you would probably be better off with a shaper, anyway.