PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw woes...

Brian Greb
02-25-2010, 10:22 PM
So my 12" crapsman band-saw broke back on the first. The power switch broke in the on position ...so that was good at least. and the repair guy will be here on Tuesday(the repair part was on back order). Second problem is it shakes like a banshee... I've tried everything to dial it in and stop the shimmy, but alas there is still a vibration. It does this with any blade, at all tension levels. I have checked the wheels, they are in line. I've messed with the guides no luck. The blades track centered on the wheels. It seems like the frame is flexing at the base, but that doesn't tell me what's initiating the vibration... any ideas on a fix? I'm hoping the repair tech has a clue but my hopes aren't high.

This brings me to the point where i get to my real question. I have a 1/2" re-saw blade with a minor kink in it... can i straighten it back out? and if so how?

Cameron Reddy
02-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Sounds like the one or both of the wheels are out of balance.

Tom Veatch
02-25-2010, 10:52 PM
Since you say it does it with any blade, you have an imbalance in one or both of the wheels, the belt, motor, and/or some other rotating part.
Troubleshooting:
1) run it without a blade. If it does not vibrate, it's the upper wheel thats imbalanced.
2) run it without the belts so the lower wheel isn't turning. If it doesn't vibrate, it's the lower wheel and/or belt that's imbalanced.
3) if it still vibrates with just the motor turning, it's the motor/pulley that's the problem.

And, it could be a combination of one or more of the rotating components out of balance.

Once you've isolated the unbalanced component(s), then you can approach correcting the problem.

Pete Hay
02-25-2010, 11:14 PM
Had the exact same problem with mine. Turned out to be a deformed aluminum motor sheave. Replaced with a cast iron one and it's back being as smooth as when new, which wasn't perfect..