PDA

View Full Version : Small Shop Layouts

Jim VanBramer
10-31-2004, 1:30 AM
I love to see all the posts of peoples wonderfully big shops ... unfortunately I don't have that luxury at all. I'm currently trying to set up shop in a single car garage. What I'm looking for are examples of successful layouts in spaces comparable to that. Anybody out there willing to share??? :D

Richard McComas
10-31-2004, 4:07 AM
Jim check out he Woodonline website for the ideas shops. There are 5 shop layouts for samll shop that may give you some good ideas.

Mike Evertsen
10-31-2004, 6:59 AM
grizzly has a shop layout program that might help.

http://www.grizzly.com/workshopplanner.cfm?

Frank Pellow
10-31-2004, 7:20 AM
The best example that I ever saw of an inovative use of a one car garage for a workshop was written by Mathew Teague and it is in Fine Woodworking's Tools and Shops issue of 2002-2003. The review does not appear to be online (at least, I can't find it) but here is a pointer to that issue of the magazine and back issues can be ordered.

Kelly C. Hanna
10-31-2004, 7:41 AM
On my site you can go to this page for my old 12x16 shop. It got written up in Wood Online's shop section in 2001. It was cramped at best, but it sure was fun working in it.
http://www.hannawoodworks.com/oldshop.html

Jim Becker
10-31-2004, 10:01 AM
Jim, IMHO the best shop layout for a small shop is..."no" layout. Complete mobility is the key to flexibility and the tool corral concept is the best thing since sliced veneer for maximizing space when working on projects. Other than some cabinets on the wall, nothing should be "nailed down" and everything should be on locking casters. Honestly, even for larger shops, the lesser used tools shouldn't have a permanent spot and it's often convenient to be able to move even the larger tools for "special needs".

You should also pay attention to the height of your tools to insure they are all complimentary and will not interfere with material movement. Don't depend on the "factory height" to necessarily be right in that respect. You may need to block up some things to unify surface heights.

Multi-function workstations are also useful in the small shop. This includes things that "rotate" as well as thoughtfully designed storage systems that make tool access easy. An example might be a swing-up work surface for use as a router table (as in the NYW garage workshop project).

Using a "french cleat" system on the walls also makes for added flexibility. Check out the Idea Shop #5 that WOOD Magazine featured last year (and is also detailed online) for some great ideas in that vein.

Bob Marino
10-31-2004, 10:26 AM
Agree that in a small shop, mobility is a key solution, one of them anyway. Everything that can be on wheels, should be on wheels.
One of my projects that is way overdue is for a complete garage/shop reorganization.

Bob

Bart Leetch
10-31-2004, 10:40 AM
Hi Jim

You can click on the button next to my name & go to my web site on the first page is a floor plan. My shop is small about the size of yours. Be aware my web site is a free site & does have pop ups (free isn't always completely free just close to free).

Below is the URL where you can download the free software Easyshop Shop Designer to do floor layout of your tools. This is the program I used to make the layout on my web page..

http://www.inthewoodshop.org/software/software.shtml

Christian Aufreiter
10-31-2004, 11:00 AM
Hi Jim,

you already got helpful suggestions but led my add a few thoughts.
IMO good planning is really the key to prevent wasting of space.
Do you already know which projects you want to build? Which tools do you have and which will you get in future?
Do you prefer hand or power tools?
Personally, I don't see big use of a shop layout program but it's probably worth a try. IMO flexibility, mobility and organization are extremely important in a small shop. I agree that everything should be on wheels, except maybe for the hand tool workbench.
I'd make sure that most things have the same height so that you can use the workbench as an outfeed table, for example.
Can you "outsource" some things like a dust collector, lumber storage?
One thing I'll add to my smallish shop is "temporary storage". Basically, I have shelves, boxes, etc. where I store my tools. But when working I tend to leave a mess on the workbench ... cordless drill, power cords, hand tools - everything laying around. So I'll install some kind of pegboard where I can store tools temporarily. When a project is finished each tool goes back to it's box, shelve, etc. but during work I can easily hang them above my bench.

Hope this helps,

Christian

Bart Leetch
10-31-2004, 11:03 AM
[QUOTE=Jim Becker]Jim, IMHO the best shop layout for a small shop is..."no" layout. Complete mobility is the key to flexibility and the tool corral concept is the best thing since sliced veneer for maximizing space when working on projects. Other than some cabinets on the wall, nothing should be "nailed down" and everything should be on locking casters. Honestly, even for larger shops, the lesser used tools shouldn't have a permanent spot and it's often convenient to be able to move even the larger tools for "special needs".

I agree with Jim up to a point. :) :eek: It depends on how small the shop is or how narrow the shop is. At this time I am in the process of designing & building a cabinet that will set next to my 12" RAS & share work top space with it & will hold 4 bench top tools a CMS & Mortiser on top & a portable planer & spindle sander underneath one on each end as well as 2 banks of drawers to hold all my mechanic tools that are in the mechanics roll around tool base & top box that now occupies that space. There is no way at this time that I could move my table-saw because of lack of space even though it is on lockable swivel casters. But there is coming a time when I'll be able to roll it back & work from both sides of my bench/out-feed table if I need to.

At this time the only space I have for these tools is at the back end of my shop behind where I stand to push material through the table-saw. When I need to rip long sheet goods I have to set the tools down on the floor or move them out of the way which is no easy task in a small shop. SOLUTION find a way to make the tools accessible yet easy to put away out of the way of other tools. :)

A shop layout program is especially helpful if you have floor model tools if most of your electric tools are hand held tools & are stored in boxes & stacked in a corner when your not using them & you maybe have only 1 or 2 small bench top tools & a bench this shouldn't be a problem. :D :D :D

Sam Chambers
10-31-2004, 1:35 PM
Bart:

My basement shop is about the same size as yours, wih a similar layout. I was wondering if you have dust collection ducting in your shop, or if you lug s long hose from machine to machine?

Bart Leetch
10-31-2004, 11:03 PM
Sam I have a couple of shot runs of 4" PVC with blast gates.