PDA

View Full Version : Source for UV reactive clear acrylic?

Tor Amundson
02-25-2010, 9:13 PM
I use the fluorescent plastic colors (red/blue/green/orange) from Tap and other usuals all the time. Now I have a customer asking about a plastic he saw at a dance. He brought a sample by to show me. It was a 3/16" clear acrylic (I think), very much like good ol' clear Acrylite, only when it was under a UV bulb it lit up really nice. The way the engraving marks showed it up I suspect it was cast instead of extruded, but I could be wrong.

Trying normal clear acrylic under a black light gets no reaction whatsoever, so this stuff must have had some kind of UV dye or other optical brightening agent in it.

Does anybody know of a supplier who sells such clear UV reactive plastics? Either clear or only mildly tinted is fine. The ones I know about only sell the brightly tinted varieties. My customer wants me to make a bunch of pendants out of them for him to sell at his dance events and I'd sure love to take that order. :)

Joe Pelonio
02-25-2010, 9:36 PM
Go back to Tap and ask them for a scrap of "Green Edge" clear to try. I have used it for things and it lights up like the fluorescent with normal light, never tried the UV but tap does sell it.