PDA

View Full Version : New Sprayer type

Jamie Schmitz
02-25-2010, 8:11 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDouUhPjS8Y

Could be good for small project. The video says that price would be tiered. $389. for a gun that would not be repairable and $449. for one that would be able to be repaired + more tip options. Available in May

Peter Quinn
02-25-2010, 8:20 PM
Huuuuh? How do they do it?

Jamie Schmitz
02-25-2010, 8:26 PM
Good question. I would have to guess that there would be a suction tube hooked up to the motor.

glenn bradley
02-25-2010, 8:45 PM
I'm betting on a Wagner-like diaphragm design.

johnny means
02-25-2010, 9:23 PM
Think I'll pass. I have tried those wagner guns before and wouldn't put myself through the frustration again. Those things work in theory and in the hands of pitchmen, but not in real life.

Larry Fox
02-26-2010, 8:30 AM
Said it several times and will again, each of our projects involves multiple thousands of dollars in tools, sometimes multiple hundreds of dollars in materials, and multiple tens of hours in time and effort. Why would we ever approach the last (or next to last if you are rubbing out) step with anything less than high quality finishing tools amd materials. Maybe I am on a rant here but there seems to be a lot of discussion about getting away with the bare minimum at the finishing stage. I definitely get that most hate to finish but this is the part that people see first and can make or break a project. You can have the best joinery, wood, craftsmanship in the world but if you have a bad finish job - that's what gets noticed.

This gizmo is $389 for a gun that can't be cleaned / repaired. Huh? I don't think that it is going to provide more than a few hours of good service before a purchaser will wish he could tear it down and clean / rebuild it.

I think the $$ is better spent on a decent turbine outfit if one is after portability or a decent conversion setup if they are not.

Sorry for the rant guys - it's early and snowing AGAIN here in Philly.

Robert Reece
02-26-2010, 8:49 AM
Looks like junk to me. I am not buying anything that "can't be repaired" and at $450 for the one that can be repaired, we'll I can put that money towards a system that is bullet proof.

Mitchell Andrus
02-26-2010, 8:58 AM
Well said. Except that it has a battery it's not anything new. Airless spraying has been around for decades. My 5 gallon industrial model has passed at least 200 gallons without repair. Corded wins, unless you have to paint a boat on a desert island.

Really.... when was the last time you couldn't plug in at a job site?

Can you imagine painting a house with this? It's got to weigh 6 pounds+ with a full container.

Glen Butler
02-26-2010, 9:26 AM
That kind of money will buy a decent HVLP and a small compressor. I have run my HVLP on a small compressor, and it does fine for small jobs. By small I mean a stain grade set of stairs and a railing; about 200 square ft. of spraying. If you are considering buying a tool like that it has to be for a small job. Ergo . . .

Jason Roehl
02-26-2010, 11:19 AM
As a painting contractor, I see all kinds of uses for it. Basically, for me, it would be an airless touch-up sprayer. You know, for that one door in a new-construction house that got broken or back-ordered and showed up 2 days before move-in and the carpet is all in already and your equipment is all cleaned up.

I could also see this as being good for spraying small woodworking projects--there is a broad range of tips available for airless use, including fine-finish ones. And the advantage of airless over HVLP is that thinning is virtually never necessary, which means more material per coat, fewer coats. Just because you thin a material 10% does NOT mean that you can put on 90% of the wet film--thinning 10% can mean the viscosity drops by 50%.

Would I spray a whole room with it? In a pinch, but not on a regular basis by any means. As useful as a full-sized airless sprayer is, even the smallest ones we use can be a pain to drag out and use for a small job from time to time.

If it's durable and well-built, $450 would be a bargain in my book.

BTW, based on the video, it sounds like it's a piston-pump, not a diaphragm.

Jamie Schmitz
02-26-2010, 2:34 PM
You can have the best joinery, wood, craftsmanship in the world but if you have a bad finish job - that's what gets noticed.

Excellent point and I agree whole heartedly. I almost did not post this here but figured you know that saying there is a tool for every job. This is a tool mainly projected towards the house painters who would have to go into a house and spray just one or two doors (especially louvered) or one cabinet like the above commenter mentioned. Also if you were a cabinet builder and had to touch up a cabinet door on site this would also be another use.

Glen Butler
02-26-2010, 5:34 PM
As a painting contractor, I see all kinds of uses for it. Basically, for me, it would be an airless touch-up sprayer. You know, for that one door in a new-construction house that got broken or back-ordered and showed up 2 days before move-in and the carpet is all in already and your equipment is all cleaned up.

I could also see this as being good for spraying small woodworking projects--there is a broad range of tips available for airless use, including fine-finish ones. And the advantage of airless over HVLP is that thinning is virtually never necessary, which means more material per coat, fewer coats. Just because you thin a material 10% does NOT mean that you can put on 90% of the wet film--thinning 10% can mean the viscosity drops by 50%.

Would I spray a whole room with it? In a pinch, but not on a regular basis by any means. As useful as a full-sized airless sprayer is, even the smallest ones we use can be a pain to drag out and use for a small job from time to time.

If it's durable and well-built, $450 would be a bargain in my book.

BTW, based on the video, it sounds like it's a piston-pump, not a diaphragm.

I didn't realize it was an airless. I can see the benefit for a painting contractor. Brushing a door suuucks. and it looks terrible. I just did two doors and some casing last tuesday. This little system would have been nice. But not repairable? No good. Is there a system just like this but that plugs into the wall?

Mark Bolton
02-26-2010, 8:16 PM
I would agree with Jason here. I dont think anyone (likely Graco included) would be expecting anyone to use this as their sole form of spraying finishes. He even says in the video that its for small jobs. It would seem to me that this sprayer would be mainly geared toward the painting and general building contractors out there for small jobs spraying latex paints or stains.

We are building contractors and even a full sized airless can give you fits if its not taken care of. In fact, against my better judgement we bought a cheap wagner for a small job that we didnt want to send the big sprayer out on. This was about 10 years ago. The sprayer works well to this day even though it sits in our construction trailer for many months on end unused. The key with them is they have to be cleaned well, and put away well. Filter your material and they will work without a hitch most every time. It doesnt compare to a full on airless but it also isnt the lug-out, clean up.

My skepticism with the cordless would be that no sprayer works well with a diminishing volume. No matter how good the batteries are, they are discharging from the second the trigger is pulled. This would mean that the pattern and finish would change over the course of the battery life.

If it were me and they are calling out 4 quarts per battery I would cut that in half or better. As Jason said, it does sound like a spindle style pump to me similar to the wagner.

Mark