PDA

View Full Version : This is so much fun!

Mark Stutz
10-31-2004, 12:19 AM
This was so much fun! :D Now I know that to most of you this is old hat, but this is really the first big pile of fluffy stuff produced in the course of actual woodworking. I really have been struggling, and have been helped beyond imagination by all of you guys and gals. I had a chance to see what sharp was like when I visited Dave Anderson's shop!
I would never have belived the difference in the finished surface compared to sandpaper! :D Now I have to round the corners a little to avoid marking the surface, though nothing a little scraping won't take care of.
I can really envision myself looking to use hand tools more and more. Had some tunes on, no dust mask, and no ear muffs! If only the learning curve wasn't so steep. :( Iguess that should be part of the fun as well.
Unfortunately, there were probably too many electrons sacrificed to post the completed project here!

Tyler Howell
10-31-2004, 6:13 AM
I know what you mean mark. Ditto on all the help from the good folks.;)

I'm still learning sight recognition. What make and model machine are you driving there.:confused:

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2004, 6:43 AM
Jeez......now we're losing another one to the dark side..... ;)

Dave Anderson NH
10-31-2004, 7:09 AM
There is little that can compare to the satisfaction of producting a pile fo fluffy shavings in the shop. It does take practice but it gets easier each time you do it. More practice will develop the muscle memory ever quicker.:D As for posting a project which used both Neander and "other" methods, go ahead. Few if any of us are completely wedded to hand tools. Heck, you've seen my shop Mark. Almost half of the space is devoted to the finger eaters.

Ted Shrader
10-31-2004, 9:55 AM
Jeez......now we're losing another one to the dark side..... ;)Ken -

An infrequent posted on the Neander board, I am a devoted fan of tools powered by electrons. However, there are some times that a hand tool is "just the ticket" and can't be duplicated by power tools.

Mark - That is a great pile of shavings!!!

That said, I am off to the shop to cut drawer bottoms on the PM66 and assemble the drawers with a brad nailer. Don't see a saw or hammer in my hand today. :) :D :)

Regards,
Ted

christopher webb
10-31-2004, 9:58 AM
hand tools seperate us from just wood grinders to craftmen.....

good shavings.
chris

christopher webb
10-31-2004, 10:03 AM
" For Furniture That you will keep in the Family"

Jim Becker
10-31-2004, 10:12 AM
Almost half of the space is devoted to the finger eaters.
Dave, you should only be feeding them electrons...fingers are not good for their diet! (nor your fingers, come to think of it...) :o

As to the original thrust of this thread, I also get great joy from the gossimer curls that I can get with my L-N block plane. One of these days I'll move on to a larger tool that is also capable of such things...

Mark Stutz
10-31-2004, 11:06 AM
Tyler,
That's a LN 4 1/2. I have an older Stanley 5 that I'm working with and a new Record 4 that's very frustrating. The LN was a gift, and gives me a nice benchmark when I'm trying to fettle the older ones. Now that I know how...thanks, Bob ...I'm starting to resole a nice transitional that was given to me as well.

Mark

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2004, 12:08 PM
Just so I won't be taken incorrectly......I only jest about "the dark side". I have nothing but respect for the labor, knowledge and skills of those who chose to use "neander tools"! I, myself, have some of those tools and use them when that is the tool and method to achieve desired results. :)

Tom LaRussa
10-31-2004, 12:52 PM
I, myself, have some of those tools and use them when that is the tool and method to achieve desired results. :)
Ken,

I hate to have to tell you this, but you just qualified yourself as a neander -- or at least as much of a neander as most of us around here. :eek:

Welcome to the enlightened side... :D

Ken Fitzgerald
10-31-2004, 9:30 PM
Ken,

I hate to have to tell you this, but you just qualified yourself as a neander -- or at least as much of a neander as most of us around here. :eek:

Welcome to the enlightened side... :D

Doggonit........I'm out of the closet again. :confused: .........wait until SWMBO finds out that there are more tools I need :( .........Nah....I've got to finish the new shop first....... :D

Bob Smalser
10-31-2004, 11:20 PM
Tyler,
... when I'm trying to fettle the older ones. Now that I know how...thanks, Bob ...I'm starting to resole a nice transitional that was given to me as well.

Mark

My pleasure...but it sure don't please everyone ;) :

Originally posted by DM:
Wonderful information again, Bob.

First the lesser know chisels take a rise in price...
then the transitionals...
and now the last great secret is exposed...
hope I can find the short sweep I'm after before everyone reads this post :D :D

Don't be telling people this stuff! You'll ruin it for the rest of us! Once they all know how to turn a $1.50 garage sale throw away into a far better tool than you can buy any place today, they'll be bringing them into the Antiques Roadshow and the fun will be over!

Such is the down side of going public...and for me, too.

But the flip side is I'd rather have those old tools go to users to be given new life rather than sit on some collector's shelf. Plus, more and more marginal-condition ones saved means there'll be a greater number of them around several decades from now.

Dan Gill
11-01-2004, 9:54 AM
Looks like fun. But I want to know how you got light and dark shavings from that board. Was it walnut on the outside? :D

Mark Stutz
11-01-2004, 9:09 PM
LOL :D It's a new species...sycanut or walmore! :eek: ;)

The walnut is in the background and the sycamore is in the foreground.

Erin Raasch
11-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Now I know that to most of you this is old hat

Nah! I don't think this stuff ever gets to be old hat . . . there's just some deep-seated satisfaction with seeing that nice pile of shavings after a good day in the shop. :p

Erin

Chris Padilla
11-02-2004, 12:16 PM
See, Mark, those are frothy shavings! Like the head on a good mug of root beer! :)