PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Custom Service - Does it again

Todd McDonald
02-25-2010, 7:12 PM
Some how I ended up losing my Cap Iron screw. So I emailed LV Customer Service to inquire for a part number so I could pay for a new one. Not so fast..... Read this response:

Unfortunately, you cannot buy this screw anywhere at this time, as it is a Veritas® product. You will note that I said you cannot buy it and that is because we are sending you a replacement Cap Iron Screw at no charge. You should receive it within 6 to 7 business days.

We look forward to hearing from you again.

This makes me smile, especially since they replied within hours of getting my email.

Customer has problem, company fixes problem, customer keeps coming back.

Way to go LV for fixing my problem.

David Christopher
02-25-2010, 7:20 PM
Todd, glad to here LV fixed your problem. Ive delt with LV several times and everything I say about them is good......to bad all companys arent like LV

Callan Campbell
02-25-2010, 9:34 PM
They are great to deal with, even with things go a bit wrong. I got two refund checks from them last year, a few weeks to a month or two past when I had bought 2 products from them. They sent the checks because the price had changed from when I bought them. Didn't even know what the checks were for until I read the polite letter that came with them. They have me as a customer to life

Scott MacLEOD2
02-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Went into Lee Valley with a Large Shoulder Plane I bought off a major online auction site. Came with a bent adjuster, got scammed again. Explained I had bought it used and wanted to buy the replacement part. The guy at the counter took it, said he'd be back in a minute, had to find the part.

When he came back the plane was repaired with a new part. He gave it to me as well as the bent piece. Said he couldnt take anything for it.

And thats why they get a large amount of my disposable income.

Excellent place.

Scott

Mick David
02-26-2010, 10:49 AM
Wow. Great incentive to go there for everything. If only they sold computers, I wouldn't have to deal with the usual BS from Microsoft. (Sorry, wrong board.)

Steve Dallas
02-26-2010, 1:27 PM
Some how I ended up losing my Cap Iron screw. So I emailed LV Customer Service to inquire for a part number so I could pay for a new one. Not so fast..... Read this response:

This makes me smile, especially since they replied within hours of getting my email.

Customer has problem, company fixes problem, customer keeps coming back.

Way to go LV for fixing my problem.

True Story:

I needed a replacement pin for Lee Valley's brass 3-in-1 marking gauge and they basically told me, in a nice way I'll admit, to pee up a rope. I guess they would have had to rob one from a gauge in inventory and didn't want to do that. I was willing to pay for the replacement pin, shipping, handling, etc. and said so. So what I have now is a 2-in-1 gauge.

I was told that they don't have any extras and none were available for sale.

Oh well -totally different experience for me and totally different feeling about their 'customer service.'

John Todd
02-26-2010, 3:25 PM
I'll be curious if the previous poster gets a response, after somebody at LV reads the post (probably the owner!) Such an uncharacteristic situation. I've dealt with them many, many, times, and like most woodworkers could sing their praises for hours. I've gotten unasked for rebates, free replacement parts (even when it was totally my fault!), and countless other courtesies. Most unusual. Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen literally define excellent online companies for me (along with L.L. Bean and Amazon).

Steve Dallas
02-26-2010, 3:39 PM
I'll be curious if the previous poster gets a response, after somebody at LV reads the post (probably the owner!) Such an uncharacteristic situation. I've dealt with them many, many, times, and like most woodworkers could sing their praises for hours. I've gotten unasked for rebates, free replacement parts (even when it was totally my fault!), and countless other courtesies. Most unusual. Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen literally define excellent online companies for me (along with L.L. Bean and Amazon).

I would be pleased to have the situation rectified but if it happens I will still have a little consternation that somebody from L-V would have had to stumble across a post on a woodworking forum in order to solve my problem.

That said, I'll take my help where I can get it. I'm not trying to embarrass the company, just recounting my experience.

Matt Radtke
02-26-2010, 6:04 PM
Not to say that he will see this or be able to fix it, but Rob Lee does have an account here. And he does post.

Charles R. Smith
02-27-2010, 4:31 PM
Steve,

Whenever I get unexpectedly bad customer service (i.e., 'unexpectedly' because some companies always give bad customer service), I give them a second chance. I figure there might be a hidden reason; maybe the person was up all the previous night with a sick child, or their spouse just lost their job. When I screw up, I want a second chance to make it right, and I figure the other guy deserves the same.

Here's my LV story from this week...

I was in the Burlington store a couple of days ago, to get a plane blade or something that would tame some the grain in some curly maple, that was giving me terrible tear-out. A salesperson (Tony - gotta love the guy!) talked me into the LV bevel-up smoother with a 50 degree blade. He assured me that if I didn't like the way it worked, I could return it within three months. So, I bit the bullet and got it. One pass with the smoother, straight out of the box, and the curly maple was glass-smooth, ready for a coat of finish. Tony knew their plane was so good that I wouldn't be bringing it back!

Charles (who wonders if there is a support group for people addicted to LV tools)

Rob Lee
02-27-2010, 5:02 PM
I would be pleased to have the situation rectified but if it happens I will still have a little consternation that somebody from L-V would have had to stumble across a post on a woodworking forum in order to solve my problem.

That said, I'll take my help where I can get it. I'm not trying to embarrass the company, just recounting my experience.

Hi Steve -

Normally, I would have got this faster, but I'm in Germany at a show right now. Sorry for your issue - it's definitely not normal. Pls give our service dept a shout, and ask for Gerald (service manager) - he'll get you set up.... though any else should have as well...

Don't know why it wasn't handled correctly the first time... but will look into it...

Cheers -

Rob
(11:01 pm here....!)

Todd McDonald
02-27-2010, 6:24 PM
Customer has problem, OWNER fixes problem, customer keeps coming back.

Steve Dallas
02-28-2010, 7:41 AM
Hi Steve -

Normally, I would have got this faster, but I'm in Germany at a show right now. Sorry for your issue - it's definitely not normal. Pls give our service dept a shout, and ask for Gerald (service manager) - he'll get you set up.... though any else should have as well...

Don't know why it wasn't handled correctly the first time... but will look into it...

Cheers -

Rob
(11:01 pm here....!)

Will do. Thanks. I'll ask for Gerald.

Bruce Campbell
02-28-2010, 8:02 AM
One of the things I'm amazed at in the woodworking community is the wonderful customer service of the vendors. Granted it's a fairly small and well linked customer pool that buys what would be considered in the wider consumer world higher end products that are expected to work well the first time.

That being said, shouldn't some of the responsibility come upon us as well as the vendors? If I'd bought a 3-in-1 marking gauge and it came with a bent pin or whatnot, I'd be on the horn immediately to LV customer service and expect satisfaction. Having lost a pin, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they found a new, unusual, and polite way of telling me to pee up a rope for a small replacement part on a 25 dollar item.

Given how small the item is and as such how easily lost it could become, I'm mildly surprised that they don't stock replacement pins but I could also see how difficult that could be from an inventory/manufacturing perspective. At 25 bucks this product is competing against three different typically more expensive products, any one of which is typically at least twice as much money.

Not trying to knock Steve. I wasn't on the call and he was obviously willing to pay for a replacement part, shipping and all. I'm just wondering at what point we do our part for these vendors who provide the great customer service on products that for the money are flat out incredible compared to the wider world of consumer products.

All that being said, and especially with Rob's reply back on the issue, I'm going to quit waffling on what marking gauge I want and order a 3-in-1 this morning. Of course that probably answers the question on our responsibility as consumers of these items, this community is fiercely loyal and responsive to our vendors.

Tri Hoang
02-28-2010, 8:39 AM
I've got stuffs from LV a few years now and had nothing but great service from them. Very organized, responsive and courteous. They are in my top 3 list that I go to for ww needs.

Rob Young
02-28-2010, 10:00 AM
-- snip --
All that being said, and especially with Rob's reply back on the issue, I'm going to quit waffling on what marking gauge I want and order a 3-in-1 this morning. Of course that probably answers the question on our responsibility as consumers of these items, this community is fiercely loyal and responsive to our vendors.

Order two just in case you loose parts... ;) :rolleyes::D

Just to pile on, always had good service from LV. Even when stuff get backordered, they are nice to me. And the staff they had at the KC WoodWorking show booth were very nice and knowledgeable.

Steve Dallas
02-28-2010, 12:10 PM
One of the things I'm amazed at in the woodworking community is the wonderful customer service of the vendors. Granted it's a fairly small and well linked customer pool that buys what would be considered in the wider consumer world higher end products that are expected to work well the first time.

That being said, shouldn't some of the responsibility come upon us as well as the vendors? If I'd bought a 3-in-1 marking gauge and it came with a bent pin or whatnot, I'd be on the horn immediately to LV customer service and expect satisfaction. Having lost a pin, I'd be pleasantly surprised if they found a new, unusual, and polite way of telling me to pee up a rope for a small replacement part on a 25 dollar item.

Given how small the item is and as such how easily lost it could become, I'm mildly surprised that they don't stock replacement pins but I could also see how difficult that could be from an inventory/manufacturing perspective. At 25 bucks this product is competing against three different typically more expensive products, any one of which is typically at least twice as much money.

Not trying to knock Steve. I wasn't on the call and he was obviously willing to pay for a replacement part, shipping and all. I'm just wondering at what point we do our part for these vendors who provide the great customer service on products that for the money are flat out incredible compared to the wider world of consumer products.

Bruce, it is a nice guage, very well made. Note that it is pretty small and I don't think it can function as your only gauge. I'd love it if they had a six or seven inch stem for this gauge. The stem is only 4 1/2" long.

Dave Anderson NH
02-28-2010, 4:18 PM
For any company which services a small to medium market (relatively) and is selling items which are not life necessities, but are rather competing for disposable income, excellant customer service is a must. Lee Valley, Lie-Nielsen, TFWW, and a number of other top companies in the field of woodworking hobby goods fully realize and understand this fact. I forget whether it was Tom Lie-Nielsen or Rob Lee who told me years ago that the other was not the competition. To them, the competition is fishing, hunting, golf, NASCAR, and any number of other liesure time activities which compete for the same dollar. Smart men, and both Tom and Rob are very very smart, understand their success depends on pleasing the customer and having him report to those he knows. Word of month, both good and bad, in the age of the internet can either make your job easier or be the kiss of death.

While I commend top of the line service and those who provide it, I can't help but wonder whether those who don't provide this kind of customer service don't have a death wish for their business.

Steve Dallas
03-01-2010, 6:49 AM
Order two just in case you loose parts... ;) :rolleyes::D

Just to pile on, always had good service from LV. Even when stuff get backordered, they are nice to me. And the staff they had at the KC WoodWorking show booth were very nice and knowledgeable.

I definitely plan on getting more than one if that option is available.

James Taglienti
03-01-2010, 8:46 AM
These guys are really outstanding. My mini marking gauge was acting wacky so they overnighted me a new one. Then I got a personal letter of apology a few days later. Simply above and beyond. By far the best treatment that I have ever received from customer service.

Steve Dallas
03-18-2010, 10:47 AM
Update: LV sent a replacement pin free of charge. All's right with the world!

Mark Roderick
03-18-2010, 10:59 AM
As you'll hear from many others, your experience was 180 degrees the opposite of typical for LV. Their customer services is unbelievably good. Their customer service is as good as, or better than, any company of any kind in the world, in my personal experience.

Let's put it this way, in all my dealings with Lee Valley for 20 years, I have never been anything short of amazed at how good their customer service is.

Steve Dallas
03-21-2010, 7:50 AM
As you'll hear from many others, your experience was 180 degrees the opposite of typical for LV. Their customer services is unbelievably good. Their customer service is as good as, or better than, any company of any kind in the world, in my personal experience.

Let's put it this way, in all my dealings with Lee Valley for 20 years, I have never been anything short of amazed at how good their customer service is.

I was honestly surprised at the flat "no" my request initially rec'd, but am happy it all got worked out. I certainly won't hold it against them.

Todd McDonald
03-21-2010, 8:08 AM
I got my cap iron screw within 4 days of the email and was in business for the next weekend. And for my lost cap iron screw, well I ended up finding that.:p

Rob and all Lee Valley employees you are a true first-class organization.

By the way the 3 saws I bought are great. I love the fit/finish, look and feel in my hands.

Thanks.

Todd