PDA

View Full Version : Swedish Silicon Steel Bandsaw Blade Wanted

Richard Amabile
02-25-2010, 6:04 PM
I am looking for a Swedish silicon steel 0.025" thick 3/8" 3 TPI bandsaw blade of high quality. I will need it to be about 94". Anyone know of a good source for this? I believe Timberwolf indicates they use Swedish steel. But, I am not sure it is the quality I am looking for since I have heard both good and bad about their blades. It will be used primarily to cut 2" walnut on an old Powermatic 14" bandsaw.

Pete Bradley
02-25-2010, 7:46 PM
You're looking for what Suffolk calls Timberwolf. Other companies sell the same band, but I'm not aware of any right now (the guy near me recently went under). For 2" Walnut a 3/8"X4PC band from Suffolk would probably be even better.

Neil Brooks
02-25-2010, 7:48 PM
I believe Timberwolf indicates they use Swedish steel. But, I am not sure it is the quality I am looking for since I have heard both good and bad about their blades.

I haven't been everywhere, nor read nor heard everything, but ... I've never heard anything bad about TW.

I *love* mine. Have found NO faults with it.

Leigh Betsch
02-25-2010, 8:18 PM
maybe Laguna, IIRC.

Richard Dragin
02-25-2010, 9:04 PM
I can recognize a Hal Taylor recommendation from a mile away....

You want the Timberwolf blades from Suffolk.

brian barnum
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
We run Timberwolf in our sawmill an on a GO555 bandsaw. Awesome performance and the guys at suffolk know there buisness very well. I would not buy from anyone else.

Stephen Edwards
02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Here's another vote for Timberwolf and Suffolk Machinery. In fact, I put a new one on my G0555X, today.

Neil Brooks
02-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Here's another vote for Timberwolf and Suffolk Machinery. In fact, I put a new one on my G0555X, today.

Pretty much no matter WHAT you were coming from, but ... particularly if it was the OEM blade .... Oh, Boy, are YOU gonna' be happy :D

That's my setup. I got four different TW blades.

I haven't installed my riser kit, yet, so ... I'll either be buying a WoodSlicer and switching back and forth wrt the riser ... or ... will have to buy four NEW TW blades ;)

Stephen Edwards
02-26-2010, 9:58 AM
Pretty much no matter WHAT you were coming from, but ... particularly if it was the OEM blade .... Oh, Boy, are YOU gonna' be happy :D

That's my setup. I got four different TW blades.

I haven't installed my riser kit, yet, so ... I'll either be buying a WoodSlicer and switching back and forth wrt the riser ... or ... will have to buy four NEW TW blades ;)

I've been using the TW blades since I bought the BS two years ago. The blade that came with the saw was never even installed. I bought the riser block when I ordered the BS and installed it when I put the saw together. So, I've got two brand new stock blades (one for without the riser and one with the riser) that came with the original order. Neither one has ever been on the saw.

The new TW blade installed yesterday was installed just because it was time for a new blade. This BS is set up just for resawing.

You're right, I'm happy with their performance for my purposes. They're affordable and work as advertised.

Cody Colston
02-26-2010, 10:02 AM
I can recognize a Hal Taylor recommendation from a mile away....

That was my first thought, too. ;)

Rick Huelsbeck
02-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Name of the place is POPCO (Says he is using the same stock as Suffolk uses) and it's a true Mom and Pop business, I bought 2 blades from him and put the first one on my Rikon and I'm convinced it's the best blade I've ever used. The one and only TW I've bought I opened up put on the machine and watched as every revolution of the blade it would move about a 1/4 forward on the wheel, no matter how much you tensioned it, it was there. Took it off and put it on the floor and about 2 feet below the weld for about a foot is a 1/4 lump while the rest of it sat flat on the floor:mad:. Well when I can get 2 blades from POPCO for less than that one blade cost and it cuts straight as an arrow I'm pretty much done with TW. BTW, one pass of less than 1/64 of an inch through the drum sander and wood is as smooth as can be.

Richard Amabile
02-26-2010, 5:44 PM
Thanks for all the input. It looks like Timberwolf may be the way to go after all. Most of you seem quite pleased with their blades. I may also look into POPCO as a backup. But, I will start out by ordering some Timberwolf.

Stephen Edwards
02-26-2010, 5:53 PM
Name of the place is POPCO (Says he is using the same stock as Suffolk uses) and it's a true Mom and Pop business, I bought 2 blades from him and put the first one on my Rikon and I'm convinced it's the best blade I've ever used. The one and only TW I've bought I opened up put on the machine and watched as every revolution of the blade it would move about a 1/4 forward on the wheel, no matter how much you tensioned it, it was there. Took it off and put it on the floor and about 2 feet below the weld for about a foot is a 1/4 lump while the rest of it sat flat on the floor:mad:. Well when I can get 2 blades from POPCO for less than that one blade cost and it cuts straight as an arrow I'm pretty much done with TW. BTW, one pass of less than 1/64 of an inch through the drum sander and wood is as smooth as can be.

Rick: Thanks for the info on POPCO. I visited their website. It appears that they primarily cater to the meat industry. Will they make blades whatever length a person wants? Have you used their blade long enough to evaluate the durability of the blade over time? Thanks.

Rick Huelsbeck
02-26-2010, 6:33 PM
Rick: Thanks for the info on POPCO. I visited their website. It appears that they primarily cater to the meat industry. Will they make blades whatever length a person wants? Have you used their blade long enough to evaluate the durability of the blade over time? Thanks.

I've only had it for a few days and I can't tell how durable it will be, but am quite pleased by them. Yes they will make it any length you need, I use 111" blade and that was not a problem for him.

Stephen Edwards
02-26-2010, 8:40 PM
I've only had it for a few days and I can't tell how durable it will be, but am quite pleased by them. Yes they will make it any length you need, I use 111" blade and that was not a problem for him.

Thanks, Rick. Perhaps I'll try of their blades sometime. The pricing that you described certainly sounds good. Let us know how the blade holds up, over time, please.

I've had really good experiences with the TW blades and the service from Suffolk Machinery. I'm wondering if perhaps that you, unfortunately, just happened to get a lemon of a blade from Suffolk. If your POPCO blade doesn't hold up well over time, I would encourage you not to completely rule out the TW blades. They have a lot of satisfied customers.

Thanks again for the info.