PDA

View Full Version : Shop Made A13 Infill - with Ron Brese's help

Brian Kent
02-25-2010, 5:43 PM
About a year and a half ago, on my quest to have a really fine smoother, I read everything I could about about making infills from scratch.

The design I like the best is the A13.

On Sawmill Creek I started asking questions about thickness of brass and professional infill plane-maker Ron Brese started e-mailing me with great information.

To make a long story short, Ron guided me as I made a Brese-style Brass and Cocobolo A13 Infill. I bought the blade from Ron, and then surprised he me with the cap also and thumb screw also.

I won't pass along Ron's methods, but I will say just 5 words if you promise to keep them under your hat: "Drywall Nails and Elmer's Glue"

I finished this in Autumn of 2008 and have never posted the finished product because I wanted to wait until it worked right. Very recently I upgraded my knowledge of sharpening and the products I use and the break-through happened. Full width .001" shavings with a flat, shiny surface left behind on very hard wood (Padauk). So here are some photos, not of the plane when I shined up all of the brass, but the day I learned to sharpen it right and made it work.

I thought it had worked OK until I visited Ron in Georgia last May and used his well-tuned plane. It showed me what to aim for.

Leigh Betsch
02-25-2010, 5:52 PM
Way cool.

I've been making a few planes also, but none to this level of perfection. It gives me some inspiration. I've been reserving the smoother build for an infill plane project rather than a woodie. The problem is I'm selling my CNC mill in about a week and I am not ready to start (and finish) the infill metal yet!

I'm guessing you didn't use a CNC mill for the metal work, did you hand form the shapes?

jerry nazard
02-25-2010, 6:32 PM
Brian,

Stunning plane! Would you share a bit about your sharpening epiphany?

-Jerry

Jeff Wittrock
02-25-2010, 6:42 PM
That is a beautiful plane Brian! I have made a couple of woodies, but have not had the courage to try an infill. Congratulations.

-Jeff

Brian Kent
02-25-2010, 6:43 PM
Thank you Leigh.
I cut close to a line with a jig saw. The final shaping was on a router with a carbide pattern bit, matching the shape of a plywood pattern.

Jerry,
When I went to the Lie-Nielsen traveling workshop, I saw somebody using waterstones. I got some Shapton stones, but he was doing his work on a Norton 1000 / 8000 combo stone.

What was different was that using stones instead of scary sharp, the sharpening happened many times faster. I did not have nearly as many strokes to introduce rounding on the back of the blade. I also did not realize how rough my edges were, even through the surfaces looked polished. I had very highly polished ragged edges.

I know the problem was my technique, and not the scary sharp sandpaper system, but this is working far better for me. With a much sharper edge, the whole plane is smoother, the motion more even, and the final result flat and glassy.

David Christopher
02-25-2010, 7:16 PM
Brian, you have a beautiful plane and it is somthing to be proud of.
from the looks of the pics, it works as good as it looks

Doug Shepard
02-25-2010, 8:13 PM
Great lookin and performing plane but ya gotta give us more on this

I won't pass along Ron's methods, but I will say just 5 words if you promise to keep them under your hat: "Drywall Nails and Elmer's Glue"

Inquiring minds want to know.

David Gendron
02-25-2010, 8:39 PM
That is a great looking/working tool you made there!
On an other note, are working on a rocking chaire? Maloof maybe?

Bruce Page
02-25-2010, 8:45 PM
Beautiful!

Brian Kent
02-25-2010, 10:00 PM
Yes, I am, David, and having an awesome time.

Doug, you would have to contact Ron on this, since I can't distinguish between his proprietary knowledge and what everyone knows.

I confess. No Drywall Nails and Elmer's Glue.

Here are some construction photos once the shell is assembled:

Brian Kent
02-25-2010, 10:03 PM
And some more.

Scott MacLEOD2
02-25-2010, 10:05 PM
How did you affix the sides to the sole. Hoping its not drywall screws or elmers glue.

Thanks, Scott

Brian Kent
02-25-2010, 10:13 PM
That's the part I told Ron I would not share. Sorry.

James Taglienti
02-25-2010, 10:38 PM
That thing looks like it is taking a pretty nice shaving, how much better could Mr. Brese's plane really be!?

Paul Murphy
02-25-2010, 10:48 PM
Brian, that is an impressive piece of craftsmanship! I'm sure you will be rewarded with wonderful surfaces on every project you use it on.

Brian Kent
02-25-2010, 11:14 PM
James, that photo is the first time it worked like Ron's plane. Up until this week I could never get that.

Leigh Betsch
02-25-2010, 11:18 PM
Can you divulge the thickness of the brass sides and sole? Is the sole brass? At cost of brass these days I may have to substitute silver or gold.

Brian Kent
02-26-2010, 12:16 AM
Sure, Leigh.

The sole is 3/8". The sides are 3/16" stock. The cap is 1/2" thick. All Brass alloy 360.

I bought this locally at KH metals. I think they also ship (www.khmetals.com). The total brass stock cost $81, which was a lot better than I had found elsewhere.

The cocobolo was hard to find in thick pieces, so I used 8/4. Walnut would be much easier to find in 10/4. The back part is made in 3 pieces, handle and 2 little side panels. The tote was made with 2 thicknesses of 8/4, glued top and bottom.

Eiji Fuller
02-26-2010, 1:35 AM
gorgeous! Really nice job. How much time do you have in it?

Bryce Adams
02-26-2010, 7:24 AM
Brian,

I have a Brese small smoother kit that I'll get started on soon, and I need to decide how to finish the infill. What type of finish did you use on your infill?

Dave Anderson NH
02-28-2010, 3:33 PM
Very nicely done Brian. I built a Spiers #7 infill smoother a few years ago and it was a lot of fun.

Brian Kent
02-28-2010, 6:02 PM
gorgeous! Really nice job. How much time do you have in it?

I didn't keep track, but every time I do something that I totally didn't understand when I started, it takes about 40 hours. So that's my story and I'll stick to it.

Brian Kent
02-28-2010, 6:08 PM
Brian,

I have a Brese small smoother kit that I'll get started on soon, and I need to decide how to finish the infill. What type of finish did you use on your infill?

This part was really fun. First time around, I rasped, then failed, then sanded through the steps to 320 or 400, then used the Beall's Buffing System which ends with Carnuba wax.

The second time, I had discovered Micro-Mesh Cushioned Abrasives:
http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=11435&filter=micro%20abrasives

I took the wax off with mineral spirits, then started through the Micro-abrasives: 1500, 1800, 2400, 3200, 3500, 4000, 6000, 8000 and 12000 grit. It took a couple of hours while watching TV. As it is now there is no finish at all besides the sanding.

It feels like glass and cocobolo got together and had babies.

Brian Kent
02-28-2010, 6:10 PM
Very nicely done Brian. I built a Spiers #7 infill smoother a few years ago and it was a lot of fun.

Dave, do you have a picture of that, here or on your website? I would love to see that.

Dave Anderson NH
02-28-2010, 7:36 PM
Brian, I don't think I have it on the website, but it was posted here on the creek a few years ago.