PDA

View Full Version : Thick wide walnut near Boston?

edward kinslade
02-25-2010, 4:19 PM
I have a hankering to build a couple of maloof pieces.

Where on earth can I get good walnut near Boston?
I would love to go sawmill direct, but....
ideas???
Thanks
Edward

Ed Harrow
02-25-2010, 5:28 PM
Downes and Reader in Stoughton is where I'd start.

http://www.downesandreader.com/

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
02-25-2010, 6:20 PM
Are you willing to go green/rough? I just picked up a couple hundred feet of Maple from a man in Orange, Ma. Its a ways out, if you are in Boston, but there is a fair amount of guys with bandsaw mills in North Central Mass. I believe he wanted $3 ft for the Walnut, I went with the Maple for $1 bd ft. I always have wood stored away for future projects, so drying in the shop or a shed is not an issue. I still have three 12" x 12' 4/4 Cherry boards from the early eighties drying in the shed. I hate to cut them down, so I am waiting for the day I can build a 12' long Cherry dining room table. I just have to build an addition to the house first.

Ken Platt
02-25-2010, 8:08 PM
David, could I get contact info for the guy you'd mentioned in Orange? I'm in north central CT, pretty much on the mass border, so it's not that much of a hike for me, and those are some good prices. Thanks -

Ken

Jim Kirkpatrick
02-25-2010, 8:31 PM
I think I've seen that guy from Orange on Craigslist. Although he's not there now, there are several other sweet listings on CL. Just search for "walnut"
There's a guy in RI selling some premium 2.5" slabs for "$6"....I presume that means /bf?

Don Jarvie
02-26-2010, 12:04 PM
Anderson and McQuaid in Cambridge - Its pricey but convient

Highland Hardwoods in Brentwood NH

Boultier Plywood in Somerville - Mostly plywood but they did have hardwoord also

02-26-2010, 1:27 PM
If you don't mind waiting, I will search for the guy from Orange's number. I wrote it down, and passed it along last month, but will have to do a little hunting. It was a number I got off CL, the price was right,and he is only 10 minutes from rt 2 and 202. Work finds me across most of North Central Mass at times,so I am always keeping an eye out for bandsaw mills. I know of at least a few, but what they have depends on the weather and luck. Frequently I have a project in mind, but sometimes karma determines the wood species. My thought is, just like saving money for retirement, you need to always have some lumber in the "bank".

Jeff Duncan
02-26-2010, 1:29 PM
If your looking to do a project now then green wood isn't going to help you. If you have time to wait several years then maybe. I find it's not worth the savings to buy something I'll probably still need to dry not to mention have to store it somewhere. I paid something like $2.40 bd. ft. for my last order of hard maple and it was ready to be turned into doors right off the truck.
If your looking at finding good quality lumber I would start with places like Downes and Reader, and Highland Hardwoods. Places that will let you poke around and pick and choose the sticks you want. There are a lot of places to buy from but wholesalers (like sawmills) for the most part aren't going to be selling a stick or 2 to the weekend warrior. Now on the other hand if your willing to buy in 1000 bd ft lots, that's a whole different situation.
good luck,
JeffD

Jason White
02-26-2010, 2:49 PM
Are you metrowest?

Jason

I have a hankering to build a couple of maloof pieces.

Where on earth can I get good walnut near Boston?
I would love to go sawmill direct, but....
ideas???
Thanks
Edward

Maik Tobin
02-26-2010, 3:19 PM
I go through both walnut and cherry. I have been to Downes and Reader many times, and I am disapointed every time. Their stock is poor at best and prices are high. Lats time I went to pick up a stick of 10/4 cherry, I was so disapointed that I continued on to NH and Highland Lumber. I was only slightly less dissapointed. I know I am very picky, and I have been getting most of my lumber directly from PA. Last month, I went to Holt and Bugby in Tewksbery and was delighted with their stock and their prices. I ended up buying 165 bf of cherry and walnut at very nice prices. They are closed on Saturdays, but I would strongly suggest you check them out.

02-26-2010, 3:55 PM
If your looking to do a project now then green wood isn't going to help you. If you have time to wait several years then maybe. I find it's not worth the savings to buy something I'll probably still need to dry not to mention have to store it somewhere. I paid something like $2.40 bd. ft. for my last order of hard maple and it was ready to be turned into doors right off the truck.
If your looking at finding good quality lumber I would start with places like Downes and Reader, and Highland Hardwoods. Places that will let you poke around and pick and choose the sticks you want. There are a lot of places to buy from but wholesalers (like sawmills) for the most part aren't going to be selling a stick or 2 to the weekend warrior. Now on the other hand if your willing to buy in 1000 bd ft lots, that's a whole different situation.
good luck,
JeffD

Jeff, you are right about working with green lumber, but wrong about bandsaw mill guys. I know one guy in the next town, he is in his late 70's, he gets together with a couple of buddies, and their tractors and they cut a few logs, and then have beer in the summer, or coffe in the winter. For this man, like a few others that I know, it isn't about a part time income, its a social activity. I have never bought more than 200 bd feet at a time. I have however bought $20 worth of Cherry, because thats all I needed, and that looked good. When I buy Oak or Pine, I usually look for vertical grain that gives me that quarter sawn look, but at a buck or less a foot. There is a real sawmill in Townsend, I used to buy only small amounts from. My point, you don't have to buy wholesale, but you do need storage space. I do have a 2000 sq ft barn/shop and a nice shed for storing wood, not a city shop.