PDA

View Full Version : Think this'll work for a "spray booth"

Troy Turner
02-25-2010, 3:15 PM
I've got the room in my shop to finish projects via spraying. Most are water based finishes, but I do have a few projects that I need to paint and prefer to spray using an interior latex. The wind tends to blow out here in West Texas on occassion http://community.woodmagazine.com/i/smilies/16x16_smiley-wink.gif so I can't do it outside and my other half doesn't want me to use the other building we have because of the overspray. I see her point..not that I have a choice..but anyhow.

We removed an older vent-a-hood about a month ago. Haven't looked at it's CFM, but it has two blowers and moves quite a bit of air. It was setup to vent back into the house, but has the capability to be vented up and out. It's a 36" hood. If I set it up in the corner of the shop to vent out, would it work to take care of the overspray? I'll take the necessary precautions for myself (respirator, goggles, etc.), just don't want overspray all in my shop and on my tools.

Nothing big like an entertainment center or anything, but just some shelves and other smaller projects that will fit directly under the hood.

Thanks for your inputs...

Troy

Eric DeSilva
02-25-2010, 3:37 PM
Something I've always wanted to investigate was using one of those surgical curtain tracks. I don't have enough space for dedicated spray area, but if I was finishing, I could cordon an area off. Be nice to just whip a curtain around me. In conjunction with an exhaust fan like you have, it might be enough to control mist/overspray.

Eric DeSilva
02-25-2010, 3:46 PM
Well, I went and looked. If you have a corner you could use, you could pick up 2 sections of 8' length and one 2' x 2' 90* bend for about $75 from this place: http://www.medicalproductsdirect.com/hanprivscree.html. They say you need 2 rollers per foot, so figure four packs of rollers at $22/pack, some cheapo clear plastic sheeting and you would be in business.

Troy Turner
02-25-2010, 4:22 PM
I was thinking a couple of shower curtains myself...