PDA

View Full Version : jet 8" jointer/ planer combo ?

mike graveling
02-25-2010, 2:52 PM
has anyone here bought one of these units? and if so how do you like it ? i would be ony using the jointer part of it, as i already have a planer and i have seen mixed reviews on the product, but it is in my price range and i can't seem to find a used one in my budget either.

Victor Robinson
02-25-2010, 3:33 PM
Are there any $199 Ridgids left in your area? Though the Jet combo machine does 8" wide, I think going with the longer tables and overall stability of the Ridgid is a better move. At least, that's what I did. :). Even had the JJP on order but canceled.

Callan Campbell
02-25-2010, 3:38 PM
Mike, I also have only read mixed reviews of this and the larger 10" model. It seems the motor is barely good enough for the 8" and really bogs down with the 10" according to what I've read around here and other places. I think the same motor was used for both of the J/P units, so your buying the smaller one is probably a big plus. I'd love to see one placed halfway between these and the much larger ones like from Grizzly. Rikon makes something along those lines with two different models, but they are pricey compared to the little Jets. My biggest grip is that I've never seen one of these set-up at a store as a demo unit that you can turn on or run a trial piece through. I think they're universal motors on these Jets, not induction, is that correct? If so, might be a similar noise output to a "lunchbox" style planer when you're under a load with a cut.

Van Huskey
02-25-2010, 3:40 PM
has anyone here bought one of these units? and if so how do you like it ? i would be ony using the jointer part of it, as i already have a planer and i have seen mixed reviews on the product, but it is in my price range and i can't seem to find a used one in my budget either.

I don't have one but a set up the 10" version for a friend. You can query me for more specifics either in the thread or via PM but I will give you my general impression.

It took some time to get setup correctly. Had to set the knives (normal and only 2) but they just seemed harder to set than most, probably due to the fact they are relatively thin. The tables took some time to get coplaner, think my buddy had to get instructions emailed from Jet as they weren't in the intsructions.

When it was resonably well set up it did a fine job, both edge and face jointing. I am not sure I would want to face joint much wider than about 6" due to power but could probably do 8" for the one off board, just not all day long. The short feed tables limit the length of board unless you add some in/outfeed support. The fence is a little "flexy" but was able to get it locked in at 90 deg with no problem. One negative is it does not move across the table so you are edge jointing at the same spot on the knive all the time and no rabbets. Light passes and patience work wonders.

In the end it is a solid value for price and as long as your expectations are resonably tied to the cost of the machine it will serve you well assuming you are willing to take the time to set it up correctly and understand that it will take a little more time and frustration than most 700 pound jointers.

Van Huskey
02-25-2010, 3:46 PM
I think they're universal motors on these Jets, not induction, is that correct? If so, might be a similar noise output to a "lunchbox" style planer when you're under a load with a cut.

Yep, universal motor. Ear muff loud but when you consider my friend is using a shop-vac for dust collection you would need them anyway.

Couple of notes on DC, you may have to sand the DC fitting it was too big for his rigid vac. The other thing is it does leave a little dust on the table, but maybe more suck than a vac might fix that.