PDA

View Full Version : New Rikon 18" is Here

Tom W Armstrong
02-25-2010, 12:06 PM
Hi All,

I know pictures are required for new equipment arrivals so this post is my attempt at pictures. The Rikon arrived today with great delivery service from Amazon. The guys had it out of the truck and in my garage in about 2 minutes. Total cost was $1006.99 thanks to free delivery. I'm working right now, but did get a chance to take off the cover.

Also, what's a good mobile base for the Rikon?

Thanks,

Tom

Mike Cross
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Very nice. How did you get that price? When I checked and it says 1299.00. Looking forward to a review of your new saw.

Mike

Al Weber
02-25-2010, 12:45 PM
I bought four Great Lakes casters and mounted the saw on a 1 1/2 inch plywood base framed with steel L-bracket. This increases the base dimensions keeping it from being so tippy and the casters have a feature that you run a rubber pad down to the floor after you have moved it and it stabilizes the unit. I think the casters were about $70 and the plywood and steel was leftover materials.

John Grabowski
02-25-2010, 1:32 PM
Boy, I cant wait till you get it set up and run some wood through there. Please post your impressions...I just ordered one from my local woodcraft and waiting to pick it up.

I AM VERY EXCITED!!

Congrats,

John G

Tom W Armstrong
02-25-2010, 2:23 PM
Very nice. How did you get that price? When I checked and it says 1299.00. Looking forward to a review of your new saw.

Mike

Well Mike, here's the story. Earlier this month Woodcraft had the saw on sale for $999 and about the same time someone posted on the deals board that Amazon had it for $1069 or so with free shipping. I have a woodcraft store about 30 miles away but I would still have to pay tax and drag it home in the back of my truck. Anyway, I was all set to pay the $1069 and I kept checking the price and at one point Amazon dropped it to $1006.99 for some reason. I pushed the buy button on a Saturday night and the next day it was back up to $1069.

Not sure what games Amazon plays, but their prices on lots of things seem to vary from day to day. Anyway, I got lucky as for me $1006 with no tax and free delivery was much better than the Woodcraft $999 price in the end.

Tom

Van Huskey
02-25-2010, 3:51 PM

Mike

You could slip over to Woodcraft in Houston this weekend, it is on sale for 999 this month and this weekend powertools are 10% off. Most WC are combining so even after tax you should be under 1K but have to pick it up. Might want to check if they have it in stock, if not you could order under the sale and only have to go once. You can order it now and get the 10% as a presale, or pick it up now if it is in stock.

Mike Cross
02-25-2010, 6:51 PM
Thanks, but I called them about a week or so ago and they won't honor the 10% off on top of the sale. I was hoping they would, that would have justified the 300 mile round trip.

David Christopher
02-25-2010, 7:07 PM
congrats on the new saw, I have the little brother to your saw and I hope you like yours as much as I like mine

Van Huskey
02-25-2010, 7:43 PM
Thanks, but I called them about a week or so ago and they won't honor the 10% off on top of the sale. I was hoping they would, that would have justified the 300 mile round trip.

Try calling and talking to someone else. You may also try San Antonio, Austin, Dallas and Ft Worth because I think they are all owned by the same person (I think) if you get one to say yes I bet they all would. I was out of town on business a couple of weeks ago and went to botht eh one in Austin and the one in San Antonio, I could have sworn one of them told me you could stack the sale, pretty sure it was San An.

Tom W Armstrong
02-25-2010, 9:09 PM
Okay, got it unpacked. Looks great so far, all the parts are there and not a scratch that I can find. Seems like it made it here in good shape.

One question. I use NEMA 6-50r outlets in my garage as that's what my other 220v tools use (e.g., Welders) and they are on 30-amp circuits. The Rikon comes with the smaller NEMA 6-15p (220v/15 amp) plug. Can I just change the plug on the Rikon or am I breaking some sort of rule?

Thanks,

Tom

Joseph Tarantino
02-25-2010, 9:33 PM
congrats on the new saw. its a really beautiful piece of eqipment. regarding the plug, i'd check the owner's manual or call rikon tech support. from what i've seen on other forums, they are impressively responsive to their owners.

Tom W Armstrong
02-25-2010, 9:43 PM
Owner's manual has very little on electrical other than very general statements. Doesn't even indicate the plug or receptacle type or amps or circuit parameters.

Just the usual warnings: "Do not modify the plug..."

It's so small it must be the 6-15p, but the 6-30p is the same pattern just bigger, I think. I guess I'll give their tech support a call tomorrow.

Never mind, it is the 6-15 and so I will change one of my outlets (and breaker too) to a 6-20r as it supports both 6-15 and 6-20.

Thanks,

Tom

Jacob Reverb
02-25-2010, 10:53 PM
I have the same saw but I paid ~ 50% more and that was a few years ago!

You're gonna love it...