PDA

View Full Version : Small project - Small tools?

Bob Borzelleri
02-25-2010, 11:30 AM
I've been wondering about those cute little turning tools (9-10" overall length or so) for turning small goblets with thin stems on a full sized lathe.
While doing final cuts on stems, my detail gouge is starting to feel like a pry bar what with an overall length of two feet or so up against a 1/4" stem.

Who uses what length tools for small stuff?

Aaron Wingert
02-25-2010, 3:29 PM
I turn fairly small stuff...Primarily duck calls and turkey calls. Nothing as small as the fancy hollow form finials that a lot of talented folks make though. All of my tools are normal sized tools. I've tried the mini tools and haven't found them to be nearly as easy to control as my larger/longer tools. That's probably because I like to have a firm "anchor" with my lathe handle hand against my hip or gut.

Steve Schlumpf
02-25-2010, 5:08 PM
Bob - about a year ago I picked up a set of mini tools - brand name of Wood River. They were blowing them out at the time or something as they had them priced around $22. I am pretty sure these tools are the same thing - at least they look the same!

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=16048

I use them for the final shaping on finials. They work really good - you just have to have a tool rest that allows you to get in close to the work!

Received a flyer from Woodcraft the other day an just now checked to see what they had to offer. The set of mini-turning tools mentioned above is on sale for $21.99 from Feb 28 through March 27. So, if you want to pick up a mini set - this would be a good time. Item # 143718

Gary Conklin
02-25-2010, 6:13 PM
Funny I was just working on this very same thing today, looks like PSI has a BB set for about $30.00

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCMINI2.html

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2010, 6:17 PM
I am going to get a set. The ones I had were used and about sharpened out.

Frank Van Atta
02-25-2010, 7:14 PM
Funny I was just working on this very same thing today, looks like PSI has a BB set for about $30.00

http://www.pennstateind.com/store/LCMINI2.html

I turn a lot of miniatures and small pieces and use this set daily.

Ryan Baker
02-25-2010, 7:24 PM
My vote is for full size tools for small work over miniature tools. (Reasonably sized of course ... it's not the place for that 3/4" Thompson gouge...)

That said, the Woodcraft set looks like too good a deal to pass up. May have to grab a set of those.

Alan Zenreich
02-25-2010, 7:32 PM
I started with a set of Robert Sorby mini tools for pen turning.

I like the small tools for small work.... except... a small skew is a difficult thing to master because the point and heel are so close together. I believe it's actually easier to learn skew technique with a larger tool.

I generally use full size tools, and my wife now uses the Sorby mini-tools and the much larger EasyWoodTools mini carbide chisels. She's learning to work with some larger chisels (HF inexpensive set) for practicing skew technique and learning her sharpening skills. Small tools don't last very long when you're a novice sharpener <vbg>

Jeff Nicol
02-25-2010, 7:52 PM
I have a set of small tools that I got on e-Bay for about $12 with free shipping at the time. They are like the ones you can get from Pennstate and like the ones they sell at Woodcraft. Set of 5 tools and they work fine, but I have made roughly 40 other small tools for mini's and other finial work. I think I use a 1/2" skew for a lot of the small stems and finials as there is still enough mass to absorb vibrations and a bigger handle to hold onto without much extra weight. I was at Woodcraft today in Minneapolis and saw the set the Steve mentioned, they are a nice looking set.

Good luck,

Jeff

Bob Borzelleri
02-25-2010, 8:30 PM
Thanks all for the thoughts. I guess, in the final analysis, Jeff is right. You can't have too many tools.:) Thanks to Steve for the link to the Woodcraft mini set.

Scott Hackler
02-25-2010, 8:36 PM
I bought a set of 3 mini hollowing tools for the small stuff I was working on and they seem to do the job, but you definitely have to adjust to a lighter cut becuase the vibration can be a killer. I revert to my Sorby Hollowmaster as much as possible and like it much better than the small tools because of the shear mass of the tool.

kenneth walker
02-25-2010, 9:00 PM
I use the biggest tool for the job that will fit. The smaller the bowl or vase the smaller the tool I use but still keeping the dia of the tool to it's maximum to keep vibration down.

Gary Conklin
03-14-2010, 2:23 PM
Woodcraft now has their mini tools on sale for $21.99

http://www.woodcraft.com/Catalog/ProductPage.aspx?prodid=16048