PDA

View Full Version : Festool Question

Waymon Campbell
10-30-2004, 9:04 PM
OK all you Festool junkies (you know who you are), Santa is definitely bringing me my first Festool this XMAS. My question is, for y'all that have both the Rotex 150E and the ETS 150/3 ROS, which one do you find yourself reaching for when final sanding? If your like me and run all your stock through the planer and jointer (so you really don't have to hog off a lot of stock with the ROS), would the 150/3 be a good choice?

Enlighten me, oh lime green gurus :D .

Dennis Peacock
10-30-2004, 9:11 PM
Sorry Waymon....but I don't have the Rotex. I have the ES125 which I use 90% of the time and I have the 150/3 which I use the other 10% of the time. For a 6" ROS.....I'm pretty partial to the 150/3. Just my 2¢ worth.

Greg Mann
10-30-2004, 9:14 PM
If you really don't see a need for the added features of the Rotex go ahead and save the money. I believe the Rotex originated as a solid surfacing solution, three tools in one, so to speak. Its success as a woodworking tool was probably an unexpected bonus. Just my guess.

Mark Singer
10-30-2004, 9:19 PM
I have the 150/3 amnd really like it. It does fine work and has varible speed.

Gary Max
10-30-2004, 9:25 PM
I have a 150-3 that I use for all our final sanding now. It does a outstanding job. Make sure to tell Santa to order some extra disk---220 and 320 are nice.

Todd Burch
10-30-2004, 9:30 PM
I have the 150/3. It's a good sander. I really considered the Rotex, and almost ordered it instead, but, I already have two 7" grinders and 2 belt sanders... If you want to trek out here to the shop, you are welcome to test drive it.

As a matter of fact, tell me ahead when you are coming over and I'll be sure to have a few cabinets worth of parts ready for you to perform the test drive on... Until you go through about 10-12 discs of each grit, you REALLY don't have a feel for it. I'll do this favor for you, good buddy!!

Todd

Steve Clardy
10-30-2004, 9:38 PM
I've got the 150/5 sander. Have only wore out about 6 discs so far. Can't seem to get used to the non vibration on it yet.:confused: lol

Read in the catalog the difference between the 150/3 and 150/5, but can't recall what it was. Something about the orbit travel was the only difference in those two models. Dennis P's sander looked identical to mine when i viewed his at the barbecue.

Steve:):)

Jason Roehl
10-30-2004, 9:42 PM
Read in the catalog the difference between the 150/3 and 150/5, but can't recall what it was. Something about the orbit travel was the only difference in those two models. Dennis P's sander looked identical to mine when i viewed his at the barbecue.

Steve:):)

150/3 = 3mm orbit; 150/5 = 5mm orbit. I have the Rotex and really like it. It's probably overkill for a home shop, though (I use it for refinishing floors as a biz). The main difference is that it has a second orbital motion--they call it "eccentric," which is much, much more aggressive than a regular RO motion (which is the first, less aggressive option on it).

Lloyd Robins
10-30-2004, 9:45 PM
I love my 150/5. It does a nice job finishing, and it handles heavy duty jobs also.

Waymon Campbell
10-30-2004, 10:14 PM
If you want to trek out here to the shop, you are welcome to test drive it.

As a matter of fact, tell me ahead when you are coming over and I'll be sure to have a few cabinets worth of parts ready for you to perform the test drive on... Until you go through about 10-12 discs of each grit, you REALLY don't have a feel for it. I'll do this favor for you, good buddy!!

Todd

Gee Todd, thanks alot :) . Noth'in like having to work for your review :D .

Jim Becker
10-30-2004, 10:21 PM
Waymon, I specifically bought the 150/3 to compliment the Rotex. Both are outstanding tools, but the 150/3 is perfect for taking things right up through the grits for finish sanding. It also shares the same 6" abrasives as the Rotex which is more economical, IMHO. The 125 is a nice sander, but it takes 5" disks.

Greg Mann
10-30-2004, 10:22 PM
Waymon,

You didn't think this would be easy did you? 10 posts and now you have four sanders mentioned with satisfaction; Rotex, 150/5, 150/3, 125. What are these crazy Germans doing making so many good sanders? Oops, I forgot, they are coming out with a 125 Rotex too, make that five.:D :D :D :D :D

Frank Pellow
10-31-2004, 12:12 AM

How did you do that with your avatar Jason?

Jason Roehl
10-31-2004, 9:18 AM
How did you do that with your avatar Jason?

Check this thread in the OT forum:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=13386

I just got a little bored...

Hmmm....now I have to say something pertinent to this thread....I've got it! Jim, I wasn't aware that the ES150 and the Rotex used the same paper--that's good to know. Although, I could've used a Rotex 125 a couple weeks ago when I refinished some stairs--the risers were just a tad small for the Rotex 150 (used it anyway), and a regular ROS just wasn't aggressive enough to remove the finish in a reasonable time (even with 60 grit).

Jim Becker
10-31-2004, 9:26 AM
The paper compatibility was one of the reasons I went with the 150/3 + Rotex combo, Jason. If I found I had a lot of situations where I needed a smaller unit, then I'd look at the alternatives, but with building furniture, I try to pre-sand components as much as possible which makes the size of the pad less important. I do know I get a better finish with the Festool sanders than I did with the PC sanders. That is likely due to lower vibration and abrasives that stay clean.

Greg Mann
10-31-2004, 9:59 AM
The paper compatibility was one of the reasons I went with the 150/3 + Rotex combo, Jason. If I found I had a lot of situations where I needed a smaller unit, then I'd look at the alternatives, but with building furniture, I try to pre-sand components as much as possible which makes the size of the pad less important. I do know I get a better finish with the Festool sanders than I did with the PC sanders. That is likely due to lower vibration and abrasives that stay clean.
Jim and I are thinking along parallel lines here. The compatilbility of paper, along with the possibilities of expanding the application range led me to the same combination of Rotex and 150/3. I find the Rotex is very capable of fine work but LOML has a little problem not tipping it. Part of that is she has been battling illness for a long time and her previously great motor skills have been diminished. I think the 150/3 will be easier for her.

In another thread, the question came up about sanding in corners. Like Jim, I like to sand as much before assembly as possible but when I need to corner sand I am going to experiment with the linear sander as the next piece of the puzzle. There again, by using it as a flat sander and as a moulding or detail sander, I fet expanded application range. Just theory at this point because I have not had a chance to try it yet. Give us enough time, Waymon, and we'll fill that stocking to the top.;)

Waymon Campbell
10-31-2004, 5:02 PM
Give us enough time, Waymon, and we'll fill that stocking to the top.;)

From your mouth to LOML's ears...or something like that!

Dave Avery
11-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Waymon,

I have the Rotex and love it - I actually have gone from loathing sanding to almost enjoying it. Not mentioned yet in this thread is the Rotex's ability to act as a polisher. I use the Festool polishing pads with the Beall buffing compounds. It works great. I haven't had the guts, however, to try it on my vehicles........ Dave.

Chris Padilla
11-01-2004, 1:16 PM
Waymon,

I sold my 150/5 to Jay St. Peter because I wanted the Rotex (Unka Bob found me a discounted one, too!). It is by far the most verstile sander/polisher I now own. You may have also noticed a Makita 7" polisher/sander I put up for sale (and sold) in the classified section. You can use the Rotex for everything INCLUDING final sanding.

I have yet to put enough time on the Rotex to inform you if I see a need for a 150/3 in my future but I'm not so sure right now that I need one. I actually planned to get a 150/3 at the beginning but we'll see...we'll see. If I were you, I'd vote for the Rotex (a lot more money but it does a lot more things) and then see maybe for X-mas '05 if you need a complimentary 150/3.