PDA

View Full Version : 30 things I’ve learned since I bought my laser

Randy Walker
02-25-2010, 10:41 AM
Not long ago there was a thread about 30 things I wish I knew before I bought my laser. Now I would like to explore the other side of that thread. 30 things I’ve learned since I bought my laser. Things like, how you developed your market, the things you do all of the time to support your market, the great successes, the great failures and how you recovered. Some things you expected, some things you didn’t expect and so on.
I ask, because I have spent the last year learning everything that I can (SMC has been a GREAT resource) and now that I am planning to jump into the market head first.

Thanks to all
Randy Walker

Rodne Gold
02-25-2010, 10:49 AM
That would require a list far in excess of 30 items and is essentially a treatise on how to run a laser engraving business - I recon you wrung out all the juicy stuff you can by reading the boards :)
What would be nice is a wiki tho - if anyone has the time and inclination to make one.

David Fairfield
02-25-2010, 11:47 AM
Well I'll start with 10

1 Remove the autofocus plunger
2 then ALWAYS deselect autofocus! :o
3 Most people are quality-blind.
4 Quality blindness can be to your disadvantage or advantage.
5 "Laser cut" is equated by most people with "cheapo"
6 Mr. Murphy and the Epilog rotary tool are good friends.
7 Lasers are very attracted to Mr. Murphy, make sure you are always there to intervene, especially when cutting Acrylic.
8 The likelihood of Mr. Murphy making an appearance increases with the value of the item engraved and/or as a deadline approaches or as your attention waivers.
9 People are capable of spelling their own names incorrectly.
10 Wierd geometric / structural stuff happens when a 2d graphic goes to 3d cut parts.

Dave

Scott A Whitehouse
02-25-2010, 11:50 AM
Rodney,

I think a wiki would be great. Wish I had the time to set one up.:(

Scott

Darren Null
02-25-2010, 2:53 PM
Wiki duly set up:

Anyone fancy moderating/helping to fill it up?

Also, has anyone got a usefully indexed FAQ or organised body of information we could kick off with? It'd take more time than I have to manually copy & paste info from here

Joe Peacock
02-25-2010, 8:37 PM
Some things I have learned for sure.
1.) Don't forget to refocus when you change material thickness.
2.) If you are cutting thin material, be sure you don't accidentally load two pieces.
3.) Check your spelling! (twice!)
4.) Turn the exhaust fan on before you start cutting.
Joe

Mark Noll
02-26-2010, 6:40 AM
Thanks for the work you put into setting this up. Guys like you help more than you know.

Scott Shepherd
02-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Darren, can you explain how that works a little. I've not participated in a wiki to this point. I signed up but I'm a little confused. Do you create new pages some how with data or is it all one document that people will add to?

I see I have a person Tiki, but there's also a Wiki. So do I Tiki or Wiki? Can I Wiki on my Tiki or would I Tiki on the Wiki?

I am so confused :confused::confused::confused:

Dave Johnson29
02-26-2010, 11:04 AM
1.) Don't forget to refocus when you change material thickness.
2.)
3.)
4.) Turn the exhaust fan on before you start cutting.

You would be a rich man if I gave you a dollar for every time I have failed to do those two. :o

Darren Null
02-26-2010, 11:35 AM
Darren, can you explain how that works a little.
I am also quite new to this wikiing gubbins. The way this particular one works is the tiki bit is a sort of personal mini-wiki, whereby you can share files /contacts/info amongst a limited group. The wiki is the open-to-all public info; and the tiki is if you want to get a limited workgroup together for a particular project, or something like that.

Do you create new pages some how with data or is it all one document that people will add to?
Anyone registered can create an article or add info in a variety of ways. Other registered users can correct mistakes/add more info/update with current info, and the wiki keeps track of version history and who has edited what; just like wikipedia. Unregistered users can read all the public information...so we don't have to bother logging in if we just want to look something up quickly.

So as not to thread-jack (bit late, but I'll bolt the door now), I've started a wiki thread here:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133988

Keith Outten
02-26-2010, 12:15 PM
Gentlemen,

I removed the link to the Wiki for the same reason that we don't allow links to Blogs and other Forums. Before anyone asks me to explain please go to our Frequently Asked Questions thread in the Support Forum.

Sorry

Jack Burton
02-26-2010, 12:17 PM
A large percentage of people that call will never use your services...even if you price it next to free......

Darren Null
02-26-2010, 12:38 PM
Gentlemen,

I removed the link to the Wiki for the same reason that we don't allow links to Blogs and other Forums. Before anyone asks me to explain please go to our Frequently Asked Questions thread in the Support Forum.

Sorry
No problem. Apologies for the infraction. And thank you for leaving the bulk of the info and the contact email in place.

Scott Shepherd
02-26-2010, 12:41 PM
It can be listed, just not as a link, correct?

Darren Null
02-26-2010, 12:44 PM
Doesn't matter really- how to get there bears a remarkable resemblance to the contact email at the bottom of the wiki post.

Randy Walker
02-26-2010, 11:54 PM
Rodne you are so right I have gained amazing insight from the post on SMC. I have gone from “how do I turn it on” to “how would you like to pay for that”, all based on information gleaned from the posts here. I have also learned that with a laser it is easy to make beautiful things that every one loves. It is not so easy to find people willing to pay for those beautiful things. I have learned that while B2B may not be making beautiful things it can make beautiful paychecks. I think one of the most difficult things I am learning is how difficult it is to get the word out to those that need your service. By creating this thread I was hoping others might share some insights on defining and reaching customers. I’m sure there are many here that would benefit from insight such as this. It would be easy to spend lots of money on newspaper ads and direct mail, driving around all day making direct contact but I’m sure there are better ways.

Randy Walker

Rodne Gold
02-27-2010, 1:15 AM
Best way to get the word out is hire a dynamic rep , give em a great commision and supply em with nice sample packs.