PDA

View Full Version : looking for info

Tim Hughes37
02-25-2010, 9:54 AM
I watched a video from Ed Davidson that showed him making a pendant. He was using a backer plate from Ed Joyner. Has anyone ever used one of these and does anyone know where to find one? Any info would be appreciated. Looked like some pretty neat tool to have and turned out some interesting pieces.

Al Wasser
02-25-2010, 10:11 AM
It's Richard Joyner. I have had one for about a month. Fun to play with and makes some neat pendants. If you want one drop Richard an email @ richardj1169@yahoo.com. Cost is about $46 delivered. He does not have a web site that lists the backer plate (unless he has added it recently)

Paul Douglass
02-25-2010, 10:15 AM
It's Richard Joyner. I have had one for about a month. Fun to play with and makes some neat pendants. If you want one drop Richard an email @ richardj1169@yahoo.com. Cost is about $46 delivered. He does not have a web site that lists the backer plate (unless he has added it recently)

I have one. Have only used it once so far. It is very well made and works as designed. There is a thread on the International Assoc. of Penturners (IAP) that shows how it is used and how to buy it.

Tim Hughes37
02-25-2010, 10:17 AM
My bad, I knew it was Richard but was doing my best to remember Ed's real name instead of yoyospin. Anyway, thanks for the contact information. I want to get one and play with it. Looks like it will make some pretty and different items. Thanks again.

Bernie Weishapl
02-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info. Was looking for one.

Norm Zax
02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
How does Richard recommend attaching the blank to the plate?

Alan Zenreich
02-25-2010, 11:58 AM
My wife and I are using Richards pendant backer plate... it's very nicely made. We've combined it with an MT2 bottle stopper mandrel from Ruth Niles (and a home made draw bar, eccentric turning wants to loosen up everything).

Ted Calver
02-25-2010, 2:15 PM
I have one and am about to order another. They are great. You attach the blank to a piece of sacrificial wood and then the plate with double sticky tape. Works just fine. Watch Ed Davidson's videos. You will need a stopper mandrel as Alan says. Now there is no scrap of wood in the shop that is too small to save and I have female relatives I never knew about asking for pendants :)

Scott Lux
02-25-2010, 3:14 PM
I have one and love it too. I've made nine pendants so far. My wife and her friends are placing "orders" now. Buy it, you won't be disappointed. I know, you can do pendants without it, but it sure makes them easier.

Lux

David E Keller
02-25-2010, 6:12 PM
I've got one also... definitely get the delux model. I've used double stick tape with good success. I use a piece of corian for the sacrificial backer and it works well. I ordered mine from the IAP thread in the classifieds.

Jack Gaskins
02-25-2010, 6:20 PM
How does Richard recommend attaching the blank to the plate?

Double sided turners tape form CSUSA or the double sided DUCK tape from WalMart.

Rob Holcomb
02-26-2010, 6:07 AM
Is the video from Ed Davidson showing him making a pendant online somewhere? I did a search but didn't find it.

Alan Zenreich
02-26-2010, 7:07 AM
Not allowed to post links here (sigh), but here's how you can find the videos.

Go to YoYoSpin dot com.
Go the the video page
Halfway down the page are the two pendant videos.

Rob Holcomb
02-26-2010, 7:11 AM
Thank you Alan!

BILL DONAHUE
02-26-2010, 5:19 PM
I've had Richard Joyner's pendant backer plate since late November and have made quite a few pendants and all with great ease. The highlight of my experience was taking my two daughters, ages 13 and 16 to a bead shop so they could make their own necklaces for them. The response of women who have seen them is overwhelming. Even last night at a reception at a museum people were commenting on my wife's pendant. Here are some of our recent collaborations.