PDA

View Full Version : Tips and Hints Regarding Windsor Institute

Mark Hulette
02-25-2010, 9:39 AM
I'm planning on heading to NH this summer after many years of yearning to take a Windsor Chairmaking class from Mike Dunbar @ Windsor Institute. I'm taking my family so here's my question(s):

Where is a nice, family-friendly place to stay?

What is there to do (besides the beach) for the kids?

Name of good restaurants?

I really appreciate hearing from any locals or anyone that has actually attended the Institute.

Thanks for your input!

Jim Paulson
02-25-2010, 2:24 PM
Hi Mark,

Many of us stay at Lamie's Inn which is about 1 mile from the Institute. I highly recommend it. The restaraunt at the Inn is fine and Mike gives everyone a list of recommended places to eat.

Maine is real close with outlet malls and between NH and Maine there are plenty of things to do. Antique shops, the marginal way path in Wells, Maine, and historical sites are all over too, especially in Portsmouth.

I took the sack back class in 2007 and have enjoyed going back for other classes. Mike and his staff are awesome and you get a lot of guidance along the way. I hope to go back in late April.

Best wishes on your class!

Jim Paulson
http://www.chairsbypaulson.com

Jonathan McCullough
02-25-2010, 4:21 PM
There's a place called Story Land, an amusement park for kids that would make a day trip. Recommended age up to about eleven. There's a tram on the route that takes you to Mt. Washington, which might make another day trip. Then there's the Science museum in nearby Vermont (http://www.montshire.org/). Porsmouth has a children's museum apparently.

Mark Hulette
02-25-2010, 8:15 PM
Thanks for the info, guys! I'm SO fired up about this class/trip!!! First time 'up East' for most of my family so it's going to be an educational outing all around.

I'm making a list of things to do and places to go so these are great suggestions!

Roger Myers
02-25-2010, 8:51 PM
What type of restaurants are you looking for? Style/Cusine/Price? Lot's of real good choices in the area...
For the kids, you also have the musuem of science in Boston (how old are the kids?)...
Boston is just an hour south...and you have lots to do there.
Portsmouth NH is 10 minutes and is a great small city.

I'm only 5 minutes from Dunbar's so I know the area pretty well... PM me with when you are visiting and some more specifics like I asked, or any other questions and I'll give all the suggestions I can....
Roger

Mark Hulette
02-26-2010, 9:12 AM
Thanks, Roger- I appreciate the offer!

On a side note- on the news this morning I heard about a large fire in Hampton, NH involving as much as a city block!! Any news or updates? Hope the Dunbars are okay.

Dave Anderson NH
02-28-2010, 3:39 PM
Mark, most of us NH folks have been out of touch since late Thursday night. I only got my power back about an hour and a half ago. The fire was at Hampton Beach and burned down a hotel and a full block. It was probably caused by the extremely high winds which follwed a major winter rain storm. Winds of 50-60 were common with gusts higher than 80. Lots of flooded roads and tree were down everywhere. If I had to guess, I'd say Mike's is about 4 miles away from the fire at the beach.

Mark Hulette
03-01-2010, 6:14 AM
Mark, most of us NH folks have been out of touch since late Thursday night. I only got my power back about an hour and a half ago. The fire was at Hampton Beach and burned down a hotel and a full block. It was probably caused by the extremely high winds which follwed a major winter rain storm. Winds of 50-60 were common with gusts higher than 80. Lots of flooded roads and tree were down everywhere. If I had to guess, I'd say Mike's is about 4 miles away from the fire at the beach.

Wow! I saw where you all were getting hit pretty hard (again) by the weather but didn't realize that it was THAT bad!! Hope all is well now.

Thanks for the info on the Hampton fire- good to know the Dunbars were a distance away!