PDA

View Full Version : Help with prt file

Margaret Turco
02-25-2010, 2:03 AM
Hi,

Does anybody know of a program I can use to open a prt file? I think they are drawing this gasket in 3d and I need to open and/or convert to 2d to run on the laser. They also sent a dxf but it's not opening right. :mad: I'm just getting frustrated now....

Thanks for your help!

Rodne Gold
02-25-2010, 2:39 AM
Just post the 2 files as attachments and maybe someone here can help you.

Margaret Turco
02-25-2010, 3:00 AM
OK, the prt was an invalid file type and I had to zip the dxf because it is too big, but here it is. Again, any help is appreciated!

Niklas Bjornestal
02-25-2010, 4:05 AM
Hi,

Does anybody know of a program I can use to open a prt file? I think they are drawing this gasket in 3d and I need to open and/or convert to 2d to run on the laser. They also sent a dxf but it's not opening right. :mad: I'm just getting frustrated now....

Thanks for your help!
prt is usually "printer" files, eg. you get it if you select to print to a file and contain information specific to the printer.

It can also be (from google)
1) a corel presentation template file
2) a Solid Edge (CAD program) part file
3) a unigraphics (CAD program) part file

Stuart Orrell
02-25-2010, 4:08 AM
Hi Margaret,
I thinkt the .prt file would be a Unigraphics 3d or possibly a PRO Engineer CAD file. Probably Unigraphics in this case.

I was able to read the dxf file into Solidworks but there wasn't much in it (See attached pdf). Just data points with dimensions and the drawing frame and notes. (A couple of dimensions may have not come through).

Looks like it is scaled at 2:1 according to the title block.

My thoughts are that they must have had a layer (with the geometry on) turned off when exporting the file.

I would ask them to send it to you again, scale 1:1, with all layers on but when exporting the dxf, make sure that the options are set for an older version of autocad such as "2000". This usually gives a file that most software can read.

Hope this helps,
Stuart

See attached pdf file.

Keith Outten
02-25-2010, 7:47 AM
Could be a PartWizard file. PartWizard is a program used for CNC Routers.

Darren Null
02-25-2010, 8:09 AM
XNView says it could be a HPGL-2 file & there's a file association, so it'll open it if it is. If you want to zip it up and attach the file, I can see if it will open, to save you installing it.

Joseph B. Chritz
02-25-2010, 8:43 AM
Taken from Stuart's Draw.pdf file.
It's a Unigraphics file.
Nice job Stuart.

Margaret Turco
02-25-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks guys! I get the same thing as Stuart's pdf file when I open in Solidworks Edrawing viewer. I would really rather not have to re-draw the outlines of the gasket since it's obviously somewhere. I'm a third party in this so can't contact the engineer directly, but have asked them to send it again.