PDA

View Full Version : Disston Plane Blade

David Rinehart
02-24-2010, 9:59 PM
Hey All,
Finally got around to cleaning a Stanley 6C, T13 that I picked up this past fall. Discovered today that it has a Disston iron. Didn't know they ever made plane irons.

Do any of you know anything about these irons? The iron doesn't have the name stamped on the top front of the blade, instead it has the etching like on their saws on the back side.
Just wondering how the would or will compare to an old Stanley iron. I haven't sharpened it yet.
That is the first thing on the agenda Thursday a.m.

I tried out the plane with a sharp iron from another #6 and the old guy worked great.

See ya
David

David Gendron
02-25-2010, 12:33 AM
Is that Iron the same thickness as the other one you have?

Jim Koepke
02-25-2010, 4:08 PM
You may also want to check to see if one side of the blade is harder than the other. It may be a laminated blade. It would not surprise me if someone may have sharpened the wrong side.

jim

David Rinehart
03-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Hey Fellers

Found the answer to my question about this blade.

Talked to the vendor at the local monthly flea market this past Sat. that I bought the plane from. He told me that it was most likely shop made at an older gent that he knew several years ago. Said he had a small machine shop in his back yard and was making them out of old circular saw blades.
After telling me this he said he would most likely have changed out the blade before he sold the plane. He had picked up the plane at a yard sale not too far from where the shop used to be in the 40's.

He did a very good job on this one. I couldn't tell it wasn't factory made. He tempered the business end to such a degree that it holds a sharp edge very well. A lot harder to sharpen than the Stanley blades. It is the same thickness but not laminated.

Anyway, thought you might be instrested in knowing.

David