PDA

View Full Version : Plexiglass Question-Shield

Patrick Britt
02-24-2010, 8:10 PM
I know, I know this is a woodworking foum.

I am building a shield for my benchtop router that folds over for cutting with an exposed bit.

Does anyone know what the more maleable form of plexiglass is called(ie-if a router bit made contact it would not shard out or shatter). I will design not to do this, but want to be as cautious as possible.

I generally use a coping sled, but when using a big apogee bit, etc. (on styles for a door,for instance). I am trying to drive as much risk out as I can.

ps-I use a Bosch RA1131 benchtop router.

thanks, Pat

Patrick Britt

Patrick Britt

Bob Fraser
02-24-2010, 8:22 PM
Hi there Pat

Maybe find some Lexan - it is "softer" than PlexiGlass.
(it is a polycarbonate, PG is an Acrylic)

Lexan has much higher impact stats than PlexiGlass, which makes it good for things like shields. You will hear or read things like " A haffa inch of Lexan will stop a Magnum Bullet", I've never tried that but it does make an effective shield in my shops. (it is usually used in face masks)

On the other hand, Lexan does not have the scratch resistance that PlexiGlass does, and can "fog" sooner if it is subject to abrasive dusts or something rubbing on it .

I have to mention that I haven't had PlexiGlass splinter on me when I have dinged it with a blade, but I do know that Lexan will have a more absorbtive effect,
and would be less likely to splinter or throw pieces when hit by a spinning blade..

Jim Rimmer
02-24-2010, 9:09 PM
I did a lot of searching on the web a few weeks ago for work. I had a "shop lawyer" tell me that we couldn't use plexiglass for shields because OSHA says you have to use Lexan. Well, after many searches and lots of boring gov't regs, there is no OSHA statement that I could find that specifies what material. We use a lot of plexiglass but are switching to Lexan as we change them out. The bowls on a lot of Filter-Lubricator-Regulator combos are polycarbonate material and a lot of face shields I looked at on safety supply websites are alsopolycarbonate. IMHO it is because they don't splinter. (FWIW, I am the safety manager)

Joe Kieve
02-25-2010, 7:38 AM
Just a little side-note about Lexan. When you cut it on a table saw, be sure to hold the leading edge down real tight because it has a tendency to ride up on the saw blade. Then when it comes back down, look out because it's coming back at you. :eek:
All that said, just be careful cutting Lexan on a TS.

joe

Stephen Edwards
02-25-2010, 9:10 AM
I like using lexan in the shop. You can buy small pieces in different thicknesses from several dealers on ebay. It machines very well, IME.