PDA

View Full Version : What machines would YOU buy

Van Huskey
02-24-2010, 8:07 PM
Long story short I am building a 2nd shop at my vacation home, well what was supposed to be my vacation home but I can't seem to get my wife to leave.

I have set a soft budget for machines the things that I can't possibly move back and forth several times a year. The budget is $13k and just for fun I wonder what other people would do with the money.

So which machines would you buy with the budget? Assume you had NO machines and you were setting the shop up for hobby work, the money can only be spent on machines and you can't pocket any so if it isn't all spent it goes away.

I see this type of thread in a lot of my other forums where someone has an overall budeget and asks for suggestions, haven't seen a full shop question like this here, thought t could be fun and I would to see other people's approach. Don't be concerened what and how I build just spend the internet money how you would for your imaginary shop.

John Kali
02-24-2010, 8:13 PM
Cabinet saw, jointer, planer, band saw, dust collection system, lathe, and a milling machine. I'm sure that would be close.

Neil Brooks
02-24-2010, 8:16 PM
Long story short I am building a 2nd shop at my vacation home

Awwwwwww, MAN!!!!

Do I HAVE to read any more of this????:D

Chris Harry
02-24-2010, 8:20 PM
Awwwwwww, MAN!!!!

Agreed!

"If my chest were made of glass, you would see how my heart is breaking"

:D

Bruce Page
02-24-2010, 8:33 PM
Cabinet saw, jointer, planer, band saw, dust collection system, lathe, and a milling machine. I'm sure that would be close.

I like the way John thinks!
I'd try to squeeze in a drum sander too.

Brad Townsend
02-24-2010, 8:44 PM
well what was supposed to be my vacation home but I can't seem to get my wife to leave.

This part is kind of ambiguous. Not quite sure what you mean?:D

Maurice Ungaro
02-24-2010, 9:16 PM
Well, I'd add to that a LOOOOONG list of Lee Valley and Lie-Neilsen planes, chisels, etc.....

Glen Butler
02-24-2010, 9:22 PM
Well you are making us all jealous. If I had that kind of money I would buy a wide belt sander for the current shop, and forget about the second one.

Von Bickley
02-24-2010, 9:27 PM
My list would be:

Table Saw
Router Table
Miter Saw
Band Saw
Planer
Jointer
Drill Press

Cameron Reddy
02-24-2010, 9:30 PM
I second Von's list. Except I'd do a shaper instead of a router table.

Greg Hines, MD
02-24-2010, 10:17 PM
I would add a European workbench to those listed above, unless you intend to build one yourself. And clamps...lots of clamps....

Doc

Kyle Iwamoto
02-24-2010, 10:28 PM
Well, since you said that it would be for a "vacation" home, I'd get a PM 4224 lathe, an Alaskan sawill, and a couple chainsaws. A band saw if there's left over monies.

Mike Harvey
02-24-2010, 10:36 PM
You don't say how much "space" you have for these tools. But that could affect what you purchase as well.

Scott T Smith
02-24-2010, 11:09 PM
If I were space (and time) limited, I would purchase a good complement of Festool equipment (MFT, Rotax and a ETS 150/3, vacume system, track saw, jigsaw, domino, Kapex), a jointer/planer combo unit, router table and a wood lathe.

Working off of a MFT and using the track saw is not as fast as a table saw, but unless you will be spending a lot of time in your shop it's a great compromise.

Plus, you can take "most" of the Festool goodies back and forth and use them at both shops (if you're driving).

David DeCristoforo
02-24-2010, 11:18 PM
If you are on vacation with your wife and you want her to leave so you can work in your shop, lack of tools might not be your biggest problem...

Van Huskey
02-24-2010, 11:30 PM
If I were space (and time) limited, I would purchase a good complement of Festool equipment (MFT, Rotax and a ETS 150/3, vacume system, track saw, jigsaw, domino, Kapex), a jointer/planer combo unit, router table and a wood lathe.

Working off of a MFT and using the track saw is not as fast as a table saw, but unless you will be spending a lot of time in your shop it's a great compromise.

Plus, you can take "most" of the Festool goodies back and forth and use them at both shops (if you're driving).

Just for reference I won't but very space limited but I am limited to 900 ft^2. 30 X 30 and built ground up to be a shop, will have 200 amp service so juice isn't an issue either. I can squeeze in the full compliment of machines my budget can cover.

In the end this is really more for fun to see others would outfit their shop not really straight advice.

John Sanford
02-25-2010, 2:49 AM
Vacation home eh?

Okay, here goes, in order:

I'd drop about 1-1.5k on the bench. Veritas Twin Screw vise on the front, Jameel's Wagon vise on the end, sliding jack, honkin heavy SchwarzBo sorta beast. Of course, depending on lumber costs, you may be able to get on the bench for a lot less. Still looking at @$500-600 for bench hardware though.

Dust Collection and air filtration.

Sharpening Station. 'Lectric Grinders, whether wet or dry, can take up a fair amount of space and are heavy, so you'll probably not be wanting to tote them back and forth.

Delta Midi Lathe. Nothing beats a lathe for relaxation in the shop with something more to show for it than a pile of sawdust/shavings after a session.
Go bigger on the lathe if you like.

16-18" Bandsaw.

Drill Press - 17" floor model would be good.

Sawstop Cabinet Saw. Put a router table in the wing.

Jointer/Planer combi machine.

25-60g compressor. If you like working on cars or are big into finishing, go with the larger.

SCMS, although some folks would go with a Radial Arm Saw instead, but it isn't my cup of tea.

Anything beyond this is starting to get fairly specialized. Hollow Chisel Mortisers, shapers, various stationary sanders, etc, are all tools that excel at what they do, but may not be needed.

Set aside a modest chunk of change for building shop fixtures (DP table, assembly tables, saw horses, etc) and not only do you have some of your first vacation's projects lined up, you'll also be able to quickly bring the shop up to snuff.

One last thing:
Refrigerator. :D

Jim Dailey
02-25-2010, 2:52 AM
Van,

My shops have anyways centered around the table saw with the traditional cast of supporting tools; shaper, jointer, planer, band saw, drill press, router table etc.

As I moved thru time & money allow me to upgrade; Craftsman tools moved way to Rockwell power tools and to Unisaw & Unishaper, and now I've moved to SawStops & Shopbots.

However if I have the $ & a clear slate, I'd look at the high end Euro combination tools (min. of a saw & shaper) & a quality bandsaw like the SCMI's (I really like my 20mm). Add a dust collector, a good shop vac. and I'm with Scott the Festool sanders etc.

And if space was a problem Felder sells a "lazy susan" that you can stand in one place, rotate the tool with one hand & bring the tool to you ;) After all... you're on vacation!!!

jim

Rod Sheridan
02-25-2010, 6:38 AM
I'd repeat my home shop, jointer/planer combo, saw/shaper combo, Oneida cyclone.

Regards, Rod.

P.S I'd make a custom tote to carry my handplanes back and forth

Mike Cruz
02-25-2010, 8:33 AM
This is actually kinda easy. This is your SECOND shop, so you don't need the BEST stuff, you need to be able to get EVERYTHING. Sure you could drop 13K on one really nice piece of equipment, but that wouldn't get you a "shop".

Simple solution: Open the the 2010 Grizzly catalogue, and start at the beginning. You could get:

20" Planer $1500
10" Cabinet Saw $1300
17" Drill Press $500
8" Jointer $600
3HP Dust collector $600 ($1000 for a 2hp Cyclone)
Shaper $ 550
Lathe $ 300
CSMS/RAS/MS (may have to go elsewhere) $500
Downdraft table $500
60 gallon aircompressor with 50 or 100 foot hose $600
17" BS $1000
Mortiser (benchtop) $300

At this point, you are still below $8500. You could upgrade some of the machines, buy doubles of things (two BS's, one for resaw, one for curves), don't forget your ductwork for the DC, piping for air compressor, tools for machines that are otherwise useless without them (gouges for lathe, etc).

Also, adding Byrd heads to the Planer and Jointer would help getting you to your budget.

Hey, this is turning into a Grizzly ad: How To Outfit Your Shop For Under 10K! :D

Ryan Welch
02-25-2010, 9:17 AM
Unfortunately 13k doesn't go as far as one would think. You can easily drop half of that in hand tools alone. However, as a start I would buy a new unisaw with integrated router table, Grizzly 15" planer (spiral head), 8" jointer (spiral head), 17 " drill press, 19 " bandsaw, oscillating spindle sander, 3 hp dust collector, jet 16-32 drum sander, a 4.5 smoother, a medium shoulder plane, and 60 1/2 block plane, a #7 smoother, and a full set of LN saws and chisels. If anything left over buy clamps........lots of them

Mike Cruz
02-25-2010, 10:11 AM
Yeah, Ryan, in my list I didn't mention hand tools and clamps and the like because the OP asked specifically about machinery that can't easily be transported. Of course, you could spend a grand on clamps alone. Planes, markers, screw drivers, scrapers, wrenches, you name it, could fill blow the budget without any machinery at all. In my list, I mention a Grizzly TS, but there is enough of the budget left over in my scenario to swap that out with a Uni or Sawstop. I just put a list together that would be easy...all from Grizzly.

Paul Murphy
02-25-2010, 10:12 AM
One way or the other (if it were me) I would have the capability to face joint wide lumber. Either a combo J/P, or a dedicated wide jointer, and there are plenty of listings for used wide jointers at the various dealers.

I have a 16" jointer in a shop of ~900 sq. ft'., and it is worth the floor space to me.

It's so easy spending someone elses money.;)

David Roberts,Fitchburg,Ma
02-25-2010, 11:31 AM
Could I suggest another way to think of your summer woodworking, maybe something completely different from your usual work. We all like machines, but how about for summer you only do handtools, or maybe only work on a lathe. You could plan over the year for one summer project, and then come summer only concentrate on that one thing, and spend more time with the wife. Or find a project you can do with the wife, and buy some tools for her.

Sean Nagle
02-25-2010, 12:05 PM
David has the right idea. If it were me I'd go "neander" at the vacation home. Equip it with a great bandsaw and solid workbench. You can double up on the handtools or just pack a bunch to go with you. Maybe even focus on turning with the addition of a lathe.

900 sq ft for a vacation home shop!!! That's twice the size of my one and only shop. That's sick.

William Nimmo
02-25-2010, 12:55 PM
For me, the machine I would buy for my second home , would float and have a place to keep the beverages cold.

Logan William
02-25-2010, 1:10 PM
+1 on that! Then if you want to feel productive while tanning buy a sketchpad and take it with you so you can draw out potential projects while drinking a cold one

Russell Smallwood
02-25-2010, 1:13 PM
David has the right idea. If it were me I'd go "neander" at the vacation home. Equip it with a great bandsaw and solid workbench. You can double up on the handtools or just pack a bunch to go with you. Maybe even focus on turning with the addition of a lathe.

900 sq ft for a vacation home shop!!! That's twice the size of my one and only shop. That's sick.

+1 But bandsaw for sure.

brian c miller
02-25-2010, 1:17 PM
Man, Not only is your budget way bigger but so is your shop... :(

Stephen Saar
02-25-2010, 4:18 PM
I only have one thing to add:

YOU SUCK!

But congrats, I hope to be able to do something like that one day as well.

-Stephen

Van Huskey
02-25-2010, 4:57 PM
For me, the machine I would buy for my second home , would float and have a place to keep the beverages cold.

Well got that already, sitting on a 12k lb lift in the "front yard". Then again I don't think you can live in my neighborhood without a boat, in fact I am one of the few with only one, I think the average is about 2.5.

Van Huskey
02-25-2010, 5:18 PM
Unfortunately 13k doesn't go as far as one would think. You can easily drop half of that in hand tools alone. However, as a start I would buy a new unisaw with integrated router table, Grizzly 15" planer (spiral head), 8" jointer (spiral head), 17 " drill press, 19 " bandsaw, oscillating spindle sander, 3 hp dust collector, jet 16-32 drum sander, a 4.5 smoother, a medium shoulder plane, and 60 1/2 block plane, a #7 smoother, and a full set of LN saws and chisels. If anything left over buy clamps........lots of them

The budget is only for machines, my overall budget includes building the shop, machines, hand power tools, hand tools, finishing, routers/tables, vacuum clamping DC etc etc. The building budget is about 25, 13 for machines and 12 for everything else.

But even with machines 13K doesn't afford a dream shop just a solid complement of basic machines of solid hobby quality. Your list is pretty similar to by basic plan.

I actaully ahve a pretty good idea what I will get but wanted to see what others would do with a clean slate this is my general plan for tools:

1. PM2000 TS I'll add an Incra, overarm guard and router station, then make a large outfield table and use the PM fence on the outfield table where I will use it with another router in the outfeed table for a dedicated dado/groove setup.

2. PM 15HH planer

3. PM 882 HH jointer

4. Either a PM or Jet 17" DP

5. Jet 22/44 drum sander

6. Laguna LT16HD (I need resaw height not thrat depth)

7. probably a Grizzly OSS/disc sander

Actually, having a second shop 700 miles from my other is not all its cracked up to be, sure it lets me work year round BUT if I lived in one place the budget would let me do so much more in one place. I don't have all the HOA issues since here I have to build the shop to exactly match my house even down to the same brand and style windows. With the budget at "home" I could have so much more capability since I could replace machines and have stuff like a 16" jointer, 24" planer, 37" wide belt etc. In the end my biggest joy is buildng ground up with the layout, cabinets, electrical and DC placed just how and where I want it.

Thanks for the replies it has been fun.

Philip Johnson
02-26-2010, 7:37 AM
I think rather then duplicate my home shop I would make my vacation shop something different, something fun and relaxing. Maybe mske it a turning area or a hand tool shop or carviing area, Just an area to get away and relax and not worry about making too much just a bit of sawdust. That would give me something to look forward too when I am on vaction that I can't do at home.

Phil

Mike Heidrick
02-26-2010, 2:09 PM
My second shop building would cost more than 12K to build the building I am betting. That might just be the concrete and wiring bill. You priced a building out cheaper than this? I am all ears!

Jon Endres
02-26-2010, 2:39 PM
One of two thoughts:

Either I'd duplicate as closely as possible, my existing shop contents, so that you're not thinking "sure would be nice to have my OTHER [widget] but it's 700 miles away", or...

Set up the new shop completely different. Focus on something else, since it's a vacation home, maybe something relaxing - hand tools only, maybe a carving setup, maybe a CNC or laser setup, or a top-of-the-line lathe and bandsaw. Either way, only about half to 2/3 of that budget should be put toward machines, the rest toward hand tools, supplies, accessories and all those "little things" that add up quick. Just for a lark, and when I had a lot LESS crap in my shop, I added up the replacement cost of all my machines, and the replacement cost of all the other stuff, right down to drill bits and sandpaper, and only about half the dollar amount was bare machine costs.

Erik Christensen
02-26-2010, 5:28 PM
cyclone DC (clearvue my preference)
table saw
festool track saw
jointer
planer
drum sander
bandsaw
radial arm saw
shaper

Jason White
02-26-2010, 5:38 PM
Yeah, I can't help but be sickened by this post a little bit too. :o

Awwwwwww, MAN!!!!

Rich Engelhardt
02-26-2010, 6:45 PM
Well - I don't have a vacation house, but, I do run a second shop onsite when we rehab a house.

My # 1 concern/priority is theft.

I believe I'd equip a vacation shop with an eye towards how easily someone could make off with the tools when I wasn't around.

Either that - or - I'd take fishing back up again and forget about the shop until I got home...

Van Huskey
02-26-2010, 6:55 PM
My second shop building would cost more than 12K to build the building I am betting. That might just be the concrete and wiring bill. You priced a building out cheaper than this? I am all ears!

Nope, maybe my writing but the budget for the building is 25,000. Thats with me doing a lot of the work.

Site prep/plans/permits/concrete will run me about $8,000. Framing to black in will be about $7,000. Roof, rollup door and siding about 5,000. Electrical, insulation, drywall, trim, paint and garage floor treatment about 5,000 more. Based on building the house which I GCed and did a lot of the work on, I should be able to meet budget but I am sure I will do some upgrades and end up closer to 30.

Van Huskey
02-26-2010, 6:58 PM
One of two thoughts:

Either way, only about half to 2/3 of that budget should be put toward machines, the rest toward hand tools, supplies, accessories and all those "little things" that add up quick.

Thats almost exactly where I am at, 13k for machines, 12k for everything else. I am an OCD planner and actually have the budget planned all the way down to abrasives.

Van Huskey
02-26-2010, 7:11 PM
Well - I don't have a vacation house, but, I do run a second shop onsite when we rehab a house.

My # 1 concern/priority is theft.

I believe I'd equip a vacation shop with an eye towards how easily someone could make off with the tools when I wasn't around.

Either that - or - I'd take fishing back up again and forget about the shop until I got home...

Funny you mentioned that since I hadn't even given it a thought. Gated neighhood with REALLY nosey neighbors. If somebody is gonna steal something from this neighborhood I would think it would be one of the well into 6 figure Fountains, Scarabs or Searays that size nicely on trailers during the winter, without so much as a hitch lock. I can't compete with boats so I'm gonna have the best "man cave" on the block! :D

Ray Bell
02-26-2010, 7:56 PM
This one's easy, 10K for a second summer home (maybe shack) for the wife, and then 3K for a lathe, and bandsaw. As long as the wife isn't going to be there, you wont even need a shop. Set it up in the living room:D

Mike Heidrick
02-26-2010, 8:28 PM
Nope, maybe my writing but the budget for the building is 25,000. Thats with me doing a lot of the work.

Site prep/plans/permits/concrete will run me about $8,000. Framing to black in will be about $7,000. Roof, rollup door and siding about 5,000. Electrical, insulation, drywall, trim, paint and garage floor treatment about 5,000 more. Based on building the house which I GCed and did a lot of the work on, I should be able to meet budget but I am sure I will do some upgrades and end up closer to 30.

Looks good!

Mike Heidrick
02-26-2010, 8:30 PM
Funny you mentioned that since I hadn't even given it a thought. Gated neighhood with REALLY nosey neighbors. If somebody is gonna steal something from this neighborhood I would think it would be one of the well into 6 figure Fountains, Scarabs or Searays that size nicely on trailers during the winter, without so much as a hitch lock. I can't compete with boats so I'm gonna have the best "man cave" on the block! :D

Tools are much easier to get rid of vs a boat.

Chad Stucke
02-26-2010, 10:19 PM
I think the duplication is good to some effect necessary.
I always seem to happen on to tools without a real plan.
I guess that I would just duplicate what I already have.
However I have picked up some things I would of never bought if they were not thrown into the deal when buying something else.
You may consider a 1 year window to equipt the shop.
If you must, invest it in gift cards that don't expire to avoid loosing the $.
Good luck
Chad

Joe Shinall
02-26-2010, 11:24 PM
My vacation home is my shop so I can't really say anything in this thread :rolleyes:

Van Huskey
02-28-2010, 9:22 AM
You may consider a 1 year window to equipt the shop.

Chad

I was hoping to be able to pick up some CL deals when I am getting closer to finishing the shop but CL timing never seems to work for me. I haven't seen anything worthwhile in a LONG time. Then today looking over the last couple of days I could have gotten maybe half my machines in a couple of days, plus a brand new tilting spindle shaper and 1hp feeder for $1800... I just wouldn't have any place to keep it until the shop is finished, when I am getting closer I can impose on some friends to kepp them for a couple of months just not yet.