PDA

View Full Version : Well there are *some* turnings on it....

Jim Underwood
02-24-2010, 7:10 PM
This telescope stand replaces a rickety aluminum stand that had a way too complicated equatorial mount. This setup is much more steady, and is much easier to use.

I've turned the knob (Walnut) and feet (Black Locust) for this stand, as well as the plastic 1/4" thick x 14" bearing plate between the base and the stand body. That plastic bearing plate was a bugger. Think blue electrostatic plastic "hair" all over the place and you get the picture. I musta been pickin' that stuff off my jacket and jeans and floor for a coupla days...

The body components were all cut with a CNC router and designed in AlphaCAM. Later the roundover was put on with a hand router, then the edges filled and sanded. It's currently in the spray booth getting finish coat put on the raw sides of this 1S birch plywood.

I still have to make some plastic bearings/washers for the telescope cradle, and turn some knobs for the telescope mount bolts, and the base pivot bolt.

It's almost finished. Just a couple more days...

Oh, and the acorn was carved on the CNC. It's there for the family who is to receive this stand. (Single mom with two kids- one of whose name reflects the acorn theme.)

And the last picture is the "prototype". While we were designing this in my office my friend spied these *reindeer cutouts in the floor and quipped, "hey here's our prototype, we don't need to design a new one". The family thought it was hilarious when I demonstrated it.

*My wife calls it the "dog deer" due to the funny shape. I'll have to redraw this thing to make it look more realistic. All I did was follow the original layout from some plans....

Eric Kosanovich
02-24-2010, 7:25 PM
Oh i like that! will have to make me one.

Jim Underwood
02-24-2010, 7:30 PM
Oh, and did I mention, there's a Patent Pending on this thing.. So you'll owe me royalties if you copy it. ;)

I'm talking about the "dog" deer one, of course!:D

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2010, 7:37 PM
Jim - looks great! Do you have some means of limiting the travel in the base? Looks like you have everything mounted to a large diameter set of bearings - was wondering if you did anything to lock in place?

Jim Underwood
02-24-2010, 10:19 PM
The base "bearings" consist of the plastic sheet I turned fastened to the base plate, and several laminate samples glued to the bottom of the body plate. This is backwards from the normal setup which consists of a sheet of laminate glued to one side, and several pieces of teflon fastened to the opposite plate. But it consists of materials I had on hand.... There's a half inch bolt running through it all, and it's tightened enough to keep the body from moving when trying to observe, but loose enough to allow easy movement.

I plan to have a knob either on the top or bottom end of the bolt in order to adjust it without wrenches. Perhaps I'll have one on both ends....

Matt Ranum
02-24-2010, 11:10 PM
That looks really cool! Nicely sized yet not too cumbersome to move.

You kinda went the opposite of what I did. A number of years ago I made a 6" Newtonian reflector scope and put it on a Dobson mount. Never being real happy with the mount my Dad and I made a pipe style equatorial mount. Quite a bit of lathe work in that but a metal lathe.

If I look I may be able to find a picture of it floating around here somewhere if anyone is interested.