PDA

View Full Version : Hickory Vessel 22 1/2" tall

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-24-2010, 5:13 PM
Here's our latest collaborative vessel. It's 22 1/2" tall 10 1/8" dia. Hickory with a few accents.
I know the opening is a little to large and a little out of proportion. The reason for this is the piece of wood had a large shake in it that we had to cut out. We just thought the wood was to spectacular to not to try to salvage something out of it even if it wasn't the perfect forum.

Leo Van Der Loo
02-24-2010, 5:25 PM
That's just beautiful Joe, both the form and the wood, thanks for showing it :-))))

Robert McGowen
02-24-2010, 5:43 PM
That is very nice, Joe. It turned out well, especially for having to work around the flaws in the wood.

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2010, 5:47 PM
Love it! Great looking wood - amazing size and finish! Very nice work! Thanks for sharing!

Mike Minto
02-24-2010, 6:24 PM
excellent vase, joe! form, the grain and color, and that glossy finish - bravo!

Frank Van Atta
02-24-2010, 6:37 PM
Beautiful piece. Nothing wrong with the opening size - it looks like an amphora without the handles.

charlie knighton
02-24-2010, 7:19 PM
very nice...

Bill Bolen
02-24-2010, 8:10 PM
Outstanding Joe. You guys are really knocking them out. What did you use for a finish? Not only glossy but sure brought out the color in the Hickory...Bill...

Donny Lawson
02-24-2010, 8:21 PM
Extreamly nice.I think it's a great design and the wood pattern is well maintained.
Donny

tom martin
02-24-2010, 8:27 PM
Beautiful piece- I love the way the heartwood contrasts at the top and bottom. Nicely done
Tom

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2010, 8:34 PM
Beautiful Joe. Love the wood, form and finish.

David E Keller
02-24-2010, 8:41 PM
I think this is my favorite piece of any that I've seen you post. The added coloring picks up the natural tones in the wood, and the grain is fantastic. I don't mind the size of the opening at all... I think this piece really works.

John Keeton
02-24-2010, 8:50 PM
Really nice wood on this one, and like Bill, the coloring on this one works nicely. I am not much on the brightly colored ones you do, but you do them well!!;)

neil mackay
02-24-2010, 8:54 PM
I know the opening is a little to large and a little out of proportion. The reason for this is the piece of wood had a large shake in it that we had to cut out. We just thought the wood was to spectacular to not to try to salvage something out of it even if it wasn't the perfect forum.
[/QUOTE]

Joe, at the end of the day beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Definitely I agree with the sentiment that it was worth saving, fine looking vase, you can put it on my mantle.

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-24-2010, 9:18 PM
Outstanding Joe. You guys are really knocking them out. What did you use for a finish? Not only glossy but sure brought out the color in the Hickory...Bill...
Thanks William.
We use gloss varnish. Finish is right off the brush, with no rubbing or buffing at all.

Curt Fuller
02-24-2010, 9:23 PM
I think this is my favorite of all from this series of collaborations. The colors really enhance the natural color in the wood. At that size I would bet it's even more spectacular in person.

Doug W Swanson
02-24-2010, 11:19 PM
Joe,

I think you are being too hard on yourself about the form. I think it looks great the way it is.

It's a beautiful piece.

Doug

Joe Meirhaeghe
02-25-2010, 8:16 AM
I think this is my favorite of all from this series of collaborations. The colors really enhance the natural color in the wood. At that size I would bet it's even more spectacular in person.
Thanks Curt
I must say that I agree with you. This one is number 10 in our series & it's my personal favorite. Your also right as to the pictures really don't do this one justice, the wood really is spectacular on this one.

Gary Chester
02-25-2010, 1:35 PM
That's a beauty!!!!

Dave Ogren
02-25-2010, 1:45 PM
Joe,
Absolutely Wonderful !! just the way it is. I think your work is always great. Thanks for the inspiration.

Dave