PDA

View Full Version : Progressive pitch dovetail saw

Mark Buchanan
02-24-2010, 3:28 PM
Does anyone own the LN progressive pitch dovetail saw? If so how do you like it?

Thanks
Mark

Gary Benson
02-24-2010, 3:41 PM
Mark,
I do not own the LN progressive pitch saw, but have used several including a close friend's many times. I have a Wenzloff and an Adria, but I have used an original Taran, several of Rob Cosman's, and the new Vertitas saws. They are all good, each has their advantages/disadvantages. In my opinion, you will get used to whichever one you get. Bottom line, pick a good saw, then practice.
Gary

Jim Koepke
02-24-2010, 3:55 PM
Mark,

I tried one at the Lie-Nielsen Tool Event last week. It worked OK, but I was not used to the pitch change and to me it seemed one would need to develop a progressive sawing stroke to work with the progressive pitch saw.

Your profile does not list your location. You may want to look at the Lie-Nielsen web site to see if they are planning an Event near you.

It is such a great service to let people actually get their hands on tools before they commit to buying. There is a lot more going on that is also beneficial for the attendees.

There are other "traveling tool shows" that I do not know about but if anyone else knows about them and how to find their schedules, hopefully they will post the information.

jim

Richard Magbanua
02-24-2010, 5:45 PM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3469/3887324391_4eeb124a12.jpg

I purchased one last year. I liked it okay but wasn't too impressed at first. It took a while to get used to the progressive pitch part. I had just gotten comfortable with my LN coarse rip carcass and I think I was used to the feel of a consistent pitch. Awesome saw BTW. With the progressive pitch that consistency wasn't there. In use it works very well and cuts pretty fast. I've since gotten used to it a bit and I think it was very helpful with cutting carcass dovetails in 1-in walnut stock. Could I have used my rip carcass for that? Probably. I'd say definitely try them both out. Either way, it seems to be about getting used to what you get. Be sure to make a hundred or so cuts before you decide.

Here's what I wrote about it in my blog last year...

http://richardmagbanua.blogspot.com/2009/09/breaking-in-new-saw.html

Let us know what you decide!

David Gendron
02-24-2010, 7:58 PM
I do have one and it is for sale... And not because I don't like it, it just doesn't fit my big hands well! As for the way it work, it is good, Start easy and cut some what faster then the 15ppi one!

Darnell Hagen
02-24-2010, 9:41 PM
Own it, use it, love it.

An expert with a different opnion:

http://eccentrictoolworks.blogspot.com/2009/04/heres-my-pitch-on-pitch.html

Still, I love mine.

Andy Pedler
02-25-2010, 2:04 AM
I bought one of the progressive pitch saws at the LN event in Oakland a few weeks ago. A friend of mine bought the fixed pitch version. We both tried out both saws at the show.

I'm a beginner user of hand tools and I liked the feel of starting the cut with the progressive pitch saw. To me it was easier to make a few very short strokes using the finer teeth at the toe of the saw to start the cut. Once the kerf is started you can use the full length of the saw and it cuts fairly smooth.

That said, the fixed pitch saw cuts much smoother once you're into the cut.

Both are just beautiful tools. I have precious few tools that are of any real value but this is certainly one of them. It is fun just to pick up and I've taken some time at the end of every session in the shop to just practice cutting with the saw.

So I would say that if you are comfortable with handsaws and starting your cuts, the fixed pitch saw is the better choice. But if you're like me and still not steady letting the saw do the work at the start of the cut, the progressive pitch has its advantages.

Andy Pedler - Newark, CA