PDA

View Full Version : Making a neanderthal investment - LN block planes

Victor Robinson
02-24-2010, 3:12 PM
Let's say you're a novice woodworker who wants to give the neanderthal lifestyle a solid chance. And let's say you want to experience what a good block plane is really all about because your Groz low-angle is a POS no matter how much time you've spent tuning it.

Let's say you want to invest in a "standard" LN block plane and you're torn between the 60 1/2 and the 60 1/2R. Being able to shave tenons without a separate plane seems pretty attractive. Both are the same price. What's the downside to getting the 60 1/2R over the 60 1/2?

Matt Radtke
02-24-2010, 3:22 PM
What's the downside to getting the 60 1/2R over the 60 1/2?

Number one, the rabbet version doesn't have an an adjustable mouth.

Number two, rabbet planes are, in general, less robust than non-rabbet planes--to be a rabbet plane, you have to cut away more metal.

Tom Henderson2
02-24-2010, 3:51 PM
Ditto to what Matt says.

The sides of the traditional block plane provide a lot of support to the blade and front end of the plane; by cutting away the sides to allow the full-width blades you lose a lot of stiffness/rigidity.

So I'd recommend the normal block plane, either normal- or low-angle. That gives you the best shot at a good, functioning tool out of the box (although sharpening is still required). If you decide that handtools aren't your bag, the block plane is still the most usefull for occasional touch-ups here and there, or you can always sell it on the auction sites for 80% or better of what you invested.

But beware -- once you use a first-class plane, you won't stop at one....

-TH

Sean Hughto
02-24-2010, 4:54 PM
You'll have both before long, so it doesn't matter which one you start with. FWIW, if I could keep only 1 block plane, it would be my LN rabbet. I find it both versatile and capable.

Kent A Bathurst
02-24-2010, 5:12 PM
....... if I could keep only 1 block plane, it would be my LN rabbet. I find it both versatile and capable..........

No question about it.

I do NOT an argument with what Matt + Tom say about more material being cut away - that is true by definition. From a strictly pragmatic standpoint, I'm just not really certain how much difference that makes in use. I also agree that the lack of an adjustable mouth affects the ability to take really fine shavings - which is why my LA Jack, for example, has an adjustable mouth. For very careful clean-up work, the LA Jack on a shooting board is the cat's pajamas. But on a 6" block plane - being used as a block plane - I'm, again, a bit unconvinced from a practical side.

I have both, and use both routienly - interchangeably in most instances - my only wish is that the rabbet nicker-style had been available when I bought mine.

In fact - if you want a good deal, send me a PM - I'll sell you my rabbet to raise $$ to buy a rabbet w/nicker.:)