PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Board

merrill worthington
02-24-2010, 1:46 PM
I am in the process of making a Cherry Mantle. Had a piece set aside for the top that is about 8 inches wide by 1 inch thick by about 7 feet long. I am ready to put the top on and it has developed a pretty good twist the full length of the board. I would rather not get a new board so I was wondering does anyone have any suggestions on how to flatten the twist out? I think it is to much to plain out because most of the thickness would be gone, would it help if i were to rip it into 3 strips and glue it back together? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Gary Breckenridge
02-25-2010, 12:54 AM
Remember that wood will do what it wants and when it wants. A fireplace mantel is a visual centerpiece of an often used room and it will be your work on display. Get a new piece of cherry.:cool:

Danny Hamsley
02-25-2010, 1:42 AM
Twist is usually terminally hopeless. At least if you cut the board down into shorter lengths, you can use it for other projects.

John Thompson
02-25-2010, 11:53 AM
The board is screaming at you to get a new piece... if you don't it will be screaming... "I told you so".. it isn't thick enough to do major surgery on.. it's not going to recover from terminal twist illeness.. so the reality is let it go!

Jerry Marcantel
02-25-2010, 12:04 PM
Merrill, I'm new here and this is my first involvement with any posts other than viewing others posts. I've had a very small cabinet shop since 1978 and my experience with twisted wood is even though you rip it down to smaller widths and glue it up again, the twist will still be there. Re: when you rip a twisted board, you just put the twist back on the edge that is being cut by the saw. The next piece wount be any better. In other words, the blade is square to the table, the fence is supposed to be square to the blade, but the wood still has that awful twist, and each cut will just transfer that twist right back into the edges. Glue it up trying to keep your clamps on a flat surface. As soon as you realease the clamps, the wood will spring back to the twist. Been there, done that.
One solution other than replacing the wood. If it's thick and wide enough, go ahead and rip it to the smaller widths you mentioned. Then joint one flat (width)on each piece, then joint one edge on each piece. Go back to your saw, rip the unjointed edge, and then if your saw raises high enough, cut the flat that hasn't been jointed yet. If your saw doesn't raise high enough, make one passe about half the width, and then flip the ends and make the second pass. Now, when you glue up the board, it should be flat if you alternate the end grain when gluing. I hope this isn't too confusing, but that's how I solve my twisted problems.... Jerry (in Tucson)

Dave Norris
02-25-2010, 1:10 PM
Depending on how long you need it and what kind of edge you want, you could try cross cutting it into 3 or four pieces. Face joint each piece on one face and one edge, then glue it back together using half-lap joints. That might save losing a lot of thickness or width, then resurface the board once it's back in one piece.

merrill worthington
02-25-2010, 1:11 PM
Thanks for the all the input, it looks like I will be better off to just get a new board. I was just hoping someone had a soulution that I didn't know about. Thanks again.

glenn bradley
02-25-2010, 6:25 PM
Thanks for the all the input, it looks like I will be better off to just get a new board. I was just hoping someone had a soulution that I didn't know about. Thanks again.

I'm late to the party but you have made the right decision; new board. I gave up trying to change a boards mind along time ago and am happier for it.

Tony De Masi
02-25-2010, 6:47 PM
I gave up trying to change a boards mind along time ago and am happier for it.

Amen to that.

Tony