PDA

View Full Version : Looking for other Ridgid TS2412 owners

Christopher Welte
02-24-2010, 12:32 PM
I've owned my TS2412 for about 9 or 10 years and I've never (knock on wood) have had any problems with it. I use "slip-it" on the top regularly and it looks and performs as good as the day I brought it home.

I'm having one problem though. Inserts.
When we moved a few years ago, my inserts got misplaced and all I'm left with is my (off the shelf) zero-clearance insert. I now have to cut a series of angles and am having trouble making a custom insert to fit property. Not the outline of the shape, but having it say put in the machine.

I'd like to start making my own inserts with built in splitters, but I'm concerned because the material (of the insert) would be so thin. Has anyone with a TS2412 made any inserts? (Do you have any photos?)

What other successful mods have you done to or with this saw?

Thanks

Grant Wilkinson
02-24-2010, 2:45 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "staying put". I have a different model of Ridgid TS, but I make my inserts out of 1/2" MDF. After cutting the outline, I simply lower the blade all the way, put the insert in place, hold it with the fence, and slowly raise the spinning blade. This has worked for all my blades, whether cutting at 90 degrees or an angle.

Have you tried this?

Christopher Welte
02-24-2010, 3:19 PM
Hi Grant,
Yes, that's how I made my 90° insert...but that was an aftermarket product that I bought directly from Ridgid. Now they want $85 for the same ZCI! I'm not about to spend $85 on a part that 4 years ago was mid to low $20s. (Shame on you Ridgid! 10 years is NOT too long to have a table saw before you start jacking up prices on parts for discontinued models. - sorry for that little rant! :D)

What's happening with my homemade inserts (I've made one from walnut and one from MDF) is that it wants to lift off while the saw is running. It's too light. My factory model insert has a spring clip on the back, underneath that holds it to the table because the insert is only about 3/8" thick. On my homemade ones, I was concerned that anything I use to fasten a homemade clip to the bottom of the insert wouldn't get enough purchase and hold under the tension. (The spring clip on my factory one is pretty strong.) Sure the walnut one would be fine, but I'd rather use less expensive (and more stable) MDF or phenolic material.

Lately, it's enough to make me want to sell my saw and get something more standard...if there is such a thing.

Bill Huber
02-24-2010, 4:28 PM
I make my ZCIs out of 1/2 phenolic and they stay put just fine. I did put a pin in the first one I made because I thought it would want to come out. It didn't so I have not put the pin in the newer ones and they stay put just fine.

About half way down this thread.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=97779&highlight=phenolic

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=101164

Joseph Tarantino
02-24-2010, 5:12 PM
i also have a 2412 and the insert is quite thin. i use 1/2" mdf as shown in the pics. when i make the insert, i put a 1/8" spacer between the saw's original insert and the ZCI blank so the cutter on the router bit doesn't nick the factory insert. then i leave the blank attached to the factory insert, put the factory insert in the saw with the blade below the ZCI and raise the blade up throught the ZCI. positions the blade opening in the ZCI perfectly. HTH. good luck.