PDA

View Full Version : Since its show and tell time.....

Matt Ranum
02-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Here is the finished cane that I was working on while inquiring about the best way to label it with a name. I decided to try the water decal but haven't had a chance to pick up the materials for that yet. This cane however isn't going to get it.

I'm not altogether happy with it. I ended up with more flex than I am comfortable with in the handle/shaft joint. My next try will have a larger dowel, a 1/2" that will extend deeper into each part should definitely help. At present I used a 5/16" dowel, and I don't think it has enough meat to it. Secondly the transfer of shape from the shaft to the grip didn't come out quite as I hoped either. Its not terrible, just not what I am looking for. Practice, practice, practice as with anything I suppose. I am getting better at turning a long thin shaft without a steady though, but if I do many more of these I'm just gonna have to break down and build one.

This came out a board of Walnut with a 1/4" strip of Maple added for accent. The handle has a transition on one side to the lighter color of sapwood, hard to tell in the pictures but has an interesting effect when looking at it. Deft Teak finish then 5 coats of clear gloss lacquer.

I also discovered its pretty tough to take decent pics of a stick too. :p

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Very nice work on the cane Matt! I really like the handle - form and colors!

charlie knighton
02-24-2010, 12:46 PM
very nice, i like the handle also

Robert McGowen
02-24-2010, 1:00 PM
Very professionally done!

John Keeton
02-24-2010, 1:05 PM
Matt, you may not be pleased with the function, but if the vote is on looks and craftsmanship alone, I believe you won!! Nice job.

Matt Ranum
02-24-2010, 1:16 PM
Well thanks everyone, maybe its not as bad as I thought.:p Got to be your own worst critic right?;)

Skip Spaulding
02-24-2010, 1:44 PM
Matt, The cane looks great, very nice work.

Bernie Weishapl
02-24-2010, 2:28 PM
Matt the cane looks really nice. Very well done.