PDA

View Full Version : drum sander advice

Karl Card
02-24-2010, 11:21 AM
Okay a month ago or so I wanted info on the grizzly 18/36 drum sander and it looks like I have just settled with my insurance company so I am about to have the funds to buy one.

What I am wanting to know is if buying the new grizzly 18/36 is the best way to go or buying a used other brand. On ebay i found a jet 16/32 for 439 dollars. I really think I need to go with the 18/36 due to the fact that once in awhile I am sure I will want to sand something that wide.
In remodling my house I will be making all the interior doors and they are 36. But anyway I need some advice if id be better off buying the new grizzly or looking for a used one and what other brands are good for the home hobbyist..

thanks a bunch

Van Huskey
02-24-2010, 4:33 PM
Okay a month ago or so I wanted info on the grizzly 18/36 drum sander and it looks like I have just settled with my insurance company so I am about to have the funds to buy one.

What I am wanting to know is if buying the new grizzly 18/36 is the best way to go or buying a used other brand. On ebay i found a jet 16/32 for 439 dollars. I really think I need to go with the 18/36 due to the fact that once in awhile I am sure I will want to sand something that wide.
In remodling my house I will be making all the interior doors and they are 36. But anyway I need some advice if id be better off buying the new grizzly or looking for a used one and what other brands are good for the home hobbyist..

thanks a bunch

I would suggest the Jet/Performax 22/44 instead. The Performax (then Jet after they aquired them) has been "the" hobbyist sander for quite a few years. The fact the drum moves instead of the table makes infeed and outfeed tables easy. The 16/32 and the 22/44 usually win the comparos in magazines as well. The Grizzly will run you about $1000 shipped, the 22/44 with open stand about $1250 shipped and the closed stand version will be about $1400 shipped.

Drum sanders are one of the machines I would only buy new or from someone I knew since they can be finicky and are easily abused. Not saying YOU should not consider used but thats my MO for drums sanders.

Be aware that a 18/36 will not quite do a full 36", expect 35 1/2" at best to be safe.

Also if you still want the 18/36 I would get the Delta 31-260X instead, can be had for less than $20 more than the Grizzly shipped, has a warranty 5 times as long, includes more than $20 worth of sandpaper and although the same basic machine has several value added features.

Stephen Edwards
02-24-2010, 5:15 PM
I don't have the experience or the knowledge to offer you that Van has. I can tell you that my Performax 16-32 has been used a lot in my shop since I bought it used a couple of years ago. I've been very pleased with the results.

If I were in the market today for a new, open end drum sander, the Jet/Performax 22/44 would be at the top of my short list. I don't think that I'd want one that the table moves for the very reasons that Van points out.

Good luck with your decision.

Blake-Kagen
02-24-2010, 7:35 PM
I've had a Performax 22-44 since 1994 and have never had a problem with it. I've done some pretty hefty and wide sanding with it many times. If it crashed on me today I would be headed to Atlanta tomorrow to get the Jet 22-44.

Karl Card
02-24-2010, 8:29 PM
The Grizzly will run you about $1000 shipped, the 22/44 with open stand about $1250 shipped and the closed stand version will be about $1400 shipped.

WOW... this is why I contributed, this is a perfect example. Now is the jet 22/44 about same price everywhere or do some places have them cheaper than others?

I mean I will do my search but if you know of some places that already have around that price id sure like to know....

Thanks

Gary Muto
02-24-2010, 9:06 PM
I bought my 22-44" a couple of years ago at Rockler during a 15% off sale. I think Woodcraft is having a similar sale this weekend. There is also a local palce that usually beats Amazon prices; http://www.performancetoolcenter.com They ship nationwide and might have free shipping too.