PDA

View Full Version : String Inlay-Part Two

Jeff Willard
02-24-2010, 11:19 AM
Another inconsequential box. Slightly more elaborate-but not much.

Chuck Nickerson
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Very nice! I must have missed part 1.

With any luck, this will give me an inspirational boost. My inlay tools are still in their box. (But it's only been three weeks.)

Jim Koepke
02-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Very nice work.

Due to purchasing a few items at the Lie-Nielsen Tool Event in Portland, I was allowed to pick a DVD as a free bonus. Angie Kopecek (sp?) felt so bad that they had packed the wrong plane for me to pick up that she offered to let me pick a second DVD. So my choice was the two inlay DVDs with Steve Latta.

Of Course, a little knowledge leads to a lot more questions. One thing that I may have missed, if it was addressed in the video, is does one cut the joinery before doing the inlay or are dovetails, mortise and tenon cutting done after the inlay?

Looks like my next tool making project on the list will be inlay tools.

jim

Jim Koepke
02-24-2010, 12:56 PM
Very nice! I must have missed part 1.

With any luck, this will give me an inspirational boost. My inlay tools are still in their box. (But it's only been three weeks.)

Here is Part 1:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=133386

jim

Jeff Willard
02-24-2010, 3:12 PM
Of Course, a little knowledge leads to a lot more questions. One thing that I may have missed, if it was addressed in the video, is does one cut the joinery before doing the inlay or are dovetails, mortise and tenon cutting done after the inlay?

I already had the joinery cut on these boxes, as I had done a few of them for a dovetailing exercise, and to fight boredom during the recent snowstorms. Seems to me to be best taken on a case by case basis, but probably better to wait until the last possible moment, to avoid any possible damage to the design.

Here's a little video that I ran across that utilizes shop made tools. There is also an old FWW article by Garrett Hack that outlines the procedure using similar methods and tools, and it goes into a little more detail than the video. I don't know what issue it originally appeared in-I have it in a book titled Woodworking Techniques.

http://woodtreks.com/making-and-applying-decorative-string-inlay/477/

Andrew Gibson
02-24-2010, 7:10 PM
The stringing looks great. And thanks a bunch for posting the Video! I will have to give it a try next chance I get. Maybe I will have to build a box or something out of my scraps when I finish my current rocker project.

I have some sapele that twisted up on me, but I should be able to square up some shorts for a small box or two out of it... Hmmmmm....