PDA

View Full Version : Jet JJP12 combo J/P fence mod

Curt Harms
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I know there are some Creekers who either have the Jet JJP-12 J/P or are interested in one. Here is my solution to the fence tilt direction irritation. Before I got the Jet JJP-12 I had a Bridgewood 6” planer. The fence on the Bridgewood tilted “forward” creating an acute angle between the planer bed & fence. The Jet fence tilted “backward” which I didn't like as well, probably in part because I wasn't used to it. Hence my question in another thread. I got inspired and whipped up something to make the fence tilt both directions. The Jet fence is mounted on a hinge along the bottom edge and will lay flat on the planer bed. I wanted the fence to have travel from 45 degrees one way thru vertical to 45 degrees the other. The fence stops are kinda cheesy IMO so doing without them isn't the end of the world—I use a speed square I trust to set the 90 and 45 degree angles. I probably could have welded T shaped pieces on the square ends to rig 90 degree stops but eh, it doesn't seem worth the hassle. I probably won't move the fence from vertical more than 3-4 times a year but when I need it I need it.

Material is 1”X1/8” steel. I could have used heavier but thought I'd try this first. It's the same size & thickness as the supports my invention replaces. The first pic is the original fence support on the left and my “invention” on the right before painting.

The second pic is with the fence in the vertical position. With the bolt in the middle hole the fence will travel from vertical to about 47 degrees back. With the bolt in the flat end hole, the fence will travel from vertical to about 47 degrees forward.

The third pic is with the fence tilted back from the beds. You can see why the head of the bolt close to the fence has to flush, or close to it.

The fourth pic is with the fence tilted forward.

Dimensions- All hole spacings are center to center. The center of the hole on the pointed end which attaches to the fence fitting is 1/2” back from the point. The hole diameter is 15/64”. This hole needs to be countersunk so the head of the bolt which attaches the fence to the 'adjusters' fits flush or nearly so. If this bolt head is not flush, it will interfere with the fence tilting back. The 2nd hole is 3 15/16” center to center from the hole on the pointed end. The 3rd hole is 7 7/32” from the hole in the pointed end. The 2nd and 3rd holes are 5/16”. These dimensions are close but if you decide to make 'em you're on your own:). The “L” shaped bracket on the fence can be adjusted forward or back as needed to make things line up. There doesn't seem to be any play or give in the fence so it does what I was hoping for. The only thing I feel I gave up was the stops and as I said I wasn't that impressed by them so don't see them as much of a loss. There are no changes to any factory part so if I don't like the change, it takes about 5 minutes to restore the factory configuration.

Dave Lee NC
02-24-2010, 10:34 AM
I just bought a JJP-12 and this looks like a worth while mod. Thanks

Fred Voorhees
02-26-2010, 5:44 AM
Well Curt, you told me you were going to do such a thing and what do you know.....you went ahead and did it. Nice job. For such a simple little amount of trouble, it seems like this opens up some nice options. I think I'll copy your little idea on my JJP-12.