PDA

View Full Version : Magnetized tools

bob svoboda
02-24-2010, 9:28 AM
I'm fairly new to turning, but firmly in the grasp of the vortex. I was reading some back posts and saw one about demagnetizing tools. I was wondering why it is undesirable to have them magnetized--I keep mine on magnetic bars above the lathe for convenience. I'm guessing it might have something to do with filings clinging to the tool after sharpening-I use a wet sharpening system and wipe the tool with a towel after touching up. I appreciate any enlightenment that can be given.

Richard Coers
02-24-2010, 9:35 AM
You can get a little extra drag across the tool rest when the tool is magnetized and is trying to stick to the rest.

bob svoboda
02-24-2010, 2:59 PM
Thanks Richard. I'll have to check that out carefully. Might answer some other questions.

Robert McGowen
02-24-2010, 3:09 PM
You can get a little extra drag across the tool rest when the tool is magnetized and is trying to stick to the rest.

I used to have mine hanging on a magnetic strip also, and stop using it because I found out that there a LOT of extra drag when sliding across the tool rest!

Brad Vaughn
02-24-2010, 4:33 PM
I'm fairly new to turning, but firmly in the grasp of the vortex. I was reading some back posts and saw one about demagnetizing tools. I was wondering why it is undesirable to have them magnetized--I keep mine on magnetic bars above the lathe for convenience. I'm guessing it might have something to do with filings clinging to the tool after sharpening-I use a wet sharpening system and wipe the tool with a towel after touching up. I appreciate any enlightenment that can be given.

Ok got to ask How do you de magnet tools?
Could not find the thread on this.
Has me thinking :cool:

Steve Schlumpf
02-24-2010, 4:52 PM
Actually just had this subject come up a month or so ago - http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=128923&highlight=de-magnetize

Check and see if any of the offered solutions work for you.

Ryan Baker
02-24-2010, 10:13 PM
My tools live on magnetic racks. I have never had anything more than a barely detectable magnetic effect, and I have definitely never had a tool create extra drag on the tool rest due to being magnetized. It's a non-issue as far as I am concerned.