PDA

View Full Version : Where to start reading

Nick Mastropietro
02-23-2010, 10:48 PM
Just as I am getting fimiliar with woodworking joinery, cabinet and drawer construction, I realize there is an entirely different aspect of this hobby, finishing. I know less about finishing than I did about furnature making. In fact I recently realized I don't even know how to ask the right questions. There are truly no shortcuts, so I need to crack the books. That leads to this question - Where should I start? what are some good books on finishing?

John Schreiber
02-23-2010, 11:38 PM
Finishing did not come natural to me and I'm still always afraid I'm going to mess up a project when it comes time to finish it. The book which I keep on my shelf is Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6EJ4U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0877429847&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QCP25APFJY6ACT20MDG). He doesn't take the recipe approach so much as really teaching the differences between finishes and how they work together (or not). It's not a book to read for entertainment but I learned a lot from it and refer to it regularly.

Dan Mitchell
02-24-2010, 2:01 AM
Finishing did not come natural to me and I'm still always afraid I'm going to mess up a project when it comes time to finish it. The book which I keep on my shelf is Understanding Wood Finishing by Bob Flexner (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H6EJ4U/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0877429847&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1QCP25APFJY6ACT20MDG). He doesn't take the recipe approach so much as really teaching the differences between finishes and how they work together (or not). It's not a book to read for entertainment but I learned a lot from it and refer to it regularly.

+1 on that. And I'd be stunned if your local library didn't have it (I have cards to 3 systems here, they all have it) so you can "check it out" (a library pun) before committing to buy a copy.

Jim Rimmer
02-24-2010, 1:14 PM
+1 for Flexner's book.

Scott Holmes
02-24-2010, 11:48 PM
Another vote for Flexner's book.

Roger Jensen
02-25-2010, 12:25 AM
I have 6 or 7 of these books and the only one worth keeping is Flexner's. It tells you everything you need to get started and everything after that is trial and error anyway (or "test boards" as they call them). You will also learn a lot on this forum. Do searches on the type of wood you're working on and you'll find a lot of information. Some of it will be conflicting, but you'll learn to find the names of members that make suggestions consistent with the way you like to work and you'll use their advice. Soon you'll be helping new folks.

I'm still looking for the ultimate HVLP book, but I think it will be a DVD and not a book. So much of HVLP is technique and I don't think a book can capture it effectively. Someday...

Roger

Phil Phelps
02-25-2010, 6:57 AM
[QUOTE=Roger Jensen;\

I'm still looking for the ultimate HVLP book, but I think it will be a DVD and not a book. So much of HVLP is technique and I don't think a book can capture it effectively. Someday...

Rodger, what is it about a HVLP that you'd need a book to understand? What trouble are you having? Post a few questions and let's see if the "board" can help.

Tony Bilello
02-25-2010, 11:12 AM
.......... I realize there is an entirely different aspect of this hobby, finishing. I know less about finishing than I did about furnature making. ............ That leads to this question - Where should I start? what are some good books on finishing?

There are some short-cuts that may be better than 'books'. They are called catalogs and they are backed up by technicians and engineers in the laboratories that make the stuff and best of all, they are readily available by phone.
Start looking at some catalogs like Sherwin Williams, Mohawk finishing products, ML Campbell, Gemini, etc. They will have Product Data Sheets or something similar which explains each product. After you have read them, call tech support (NOT a salesman) at one company, explain what you are doing and what you want to achieve. Listen objectively, very objectively with no preconceived notions. Then re-read the catalogs and the product specs again. It will now make more sense. Then do this with each company. In a few days, you will know more than most people on here about general finishing.