PDA

View Full Version : Scottsdale, AZ Points of Interest

Mark Hubl
02-23-2010, 10:40 PM
Well heading to Scottsdale in the morning for 7 days. Usually go at the end of March and catch some baseball. This year we are going for a friends wedding so no baseball. Anything turny related going on in the Scottsdale area this week? I know there are many galleries, any specialize in wood or turning? Can't wait to get in the cool desert.

Frank Van Atta
02-23-2010, 11:55 PM
The Woodworking and Wood Carving show was last week.

Mark Hubl
02-24-2010, 12:10 AM
Yeah, I saw that. Bummer.

Jason Clark2
02-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Stuart Batty will be here on March 13th for a demo and the 14th-18th for classes. Sounds like you'll be gone by then. Not turning related but I'd check out Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West if you haven't visited yet.

Jason

Tim Hughes37
02-24-2010, 12:45 PM
Might want to check out the 5th Ave. shops in old downtown Scottsdale. They might have some galleries or small stores. I grew up in Scottsdale and as I remember there were some very interesting things in that area. It's just south of Camelback on Scottsdale Road, just down from Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall. I'm jealous. I'd like to head there myself.

Chris Stolicky
02-24-2010, 1:52 PM
If you are in to turning pens or shaving brushes at all, drop in to see Tony at Pen Works. He is up in Cave Creek. Its not that far from Scottsville.

Mark Hubl
02-24-2010, 5:14 PM
Thanks guys. I am going to hit some galleries. Been to FLW's a couple of times. I am a fan, great place to visit.

Ryan Baker
02-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Stuart Batty will be here on March 13th for a demo and the 14th-18th for classes. Sounds like you'll be gone by then. Not turning related but I'd check out Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West if you haven't visited yet.

Jason

Bummer. I'm going to be out there until the 8th. I seem to always just miss events out there. Oh well. Probably won't have time anyway.

Dave Carey
02-25-2010, 9:25 PM
Have you ever visited Arcosanti the planned community of architect Paolo Soleri? It's a bit north but it's financed through the sales of his bells. They used to be bronze but apparently now are ceramic as well. One of the places the bells are cast and sold is not too far north of Scottsdale. Interesting designs and might give you some inspiration for when you're back at your lathe! Here's the web site for the foundry/shop. Haven't been there in a long time but if it hasn't changed much it's an interesting stop. http://www.cosanti.com/