PDA

View Full Version : Mm 20 Set Up

Brian Buckley
10-30-2004, 12:22 PM
My MM 20 should arrive next week. Any tips on setting it up would be appreciated. It will come with a 1" carbide resaw blade. What other size blades should I buy? Is Timberwolf the way to go with smaller blades? My only experience is with the Delta 14" BS.

The MM CU 410 Elite should arrive late Dec. or early Jan. This is when I will need alot of advice and help on setup.

Thanks

Brian

Mark Singer
10-30-2004, 12:36 PM
If you still have your Delta 14" it is nice to keep it and keep a small blade and cool blocks on it all the time. It is a bit hard to run the small blades on a 20" with the Euro guides...I would not go smaller than 1/2".

Brian Buckley
10-30-2004, 12:59 PM
Thanks Mark, I had planned on doing that. So much for getting rid of all the small machines to have some space in my small shop. When the combo arrives, I had planned on keeping my router table also.

nic obie
10-30-2004, 1:03 PM
With the MM20 you won't have any lack of tension problems so I see no reason to run timberwolf blades. Why don't you try a variety of Lenox bi-metal blades. You can buy them from Iturra or Carbide.com.

I have a MM16 with the same euro guides as your MM20 and find that a 1/4", 6tpi, hook, bi-metal blade works best for most jobs (even limited resaw work). It's a good all around blade. Save the big carbide for when you have alot of wood that needs resawing.

Any blade smaller that 1/4" requires the use of Cool Blocks or their equivalent.
MM sells Cool Block guide holders for $75 that you can 'embed' a littler blade in for better control.

Jim Becker
10-30-2004, 1:29 PM
Brian, since it sounds like you're going to keep the 14" saw for detail work (I would have done that if I had the space...) I'd suggest one additional blade for your MM20...a 1/2" carbide tipped from Iturra. Between it and the 1" blade, you'll be able to do virtually all the "heavy" cutting you need including curves and both will last "forever"...err...a very long time. I do have a supply of Timberwolfs for the MM16, but will likely replace most of them with the blade I recommended above. The exception will be something very narrow for details and I'll still buy the 1/2" AS TW for cutting wet wood...one shouldn't use the carbide for that.

BTW, congratulations on the MM purchases! Wonderful machines.