PDA

View Full Version : What to do with 5000 disks?

Doug Griffith
02-23-2010, 8:19 PM
So I just finished a job cutting round holes out of .177" thick white acrylic. Sizes range from .75" to 2.25". The customer got the "outties" and left me with 5000 "innies." I'm having a hard time throwing them away because I think they must be of value to somebody, somewhere. I'm curious what others do with their scrap that isn't quite scrap. Ebay? Etsy?

pete hagan
02-23-2010, 8:41 PM
Wall decor?
mini coasters....
tiddlywinks?

Maybe your local elementary school art teacher would like some..

Dee Gallo
02-23-2010, 8:47 PM
So I just finished a job cutting round holes out of .177" thick white acrylic. Sizes range from .75" to 2.25". The customer got the "outties" and left me with 5000 "innies." I'm having a hard time throwing them away because I think they must be of value to somebody, somewhere. I'm curious what others do with their scrap that isn't quite scrap. Ebay? Etsy?

How much do you want for them? I might have a use for them!

PM me, if you like, dee

Bill Cunningham
02-23-2010, 9:33 PM
Dee... This is a horders worst nightmare:D

Joe Pelonio
02-23-2010, 11:08 PM
I still have a 4' tall pile of 1/8" black acrylic innies, square with rounded corners about 4-1/2" and nearly knock them over every day. I used to save 3/8" circles (hundreds) but finally tossed them.

Darren Null
02-23-2010, 11:32 PM
Poker chips?

Curt Heggemeyer
02-24-2010, 12:04 AM
I woul dbe interested in them if you want to get rid of them. I could use the 2 to 2.25 inch ones.
Let me know if you want to move them.

Thanks,

Bruce Hoffman
02-24-2010, 2:11 AM
There's a big market out there for Round Tuits.

Everyone is always complaining that eventually they'll get a ........

Rodne Gold
02-24-2010, 2:19 AM
Why not laser engrave em with your Co details etc and hand em out as drinks coasters or coffee mug coasters - makes a great promo product.

Andrea Weissenseel
02-24-2010, 3:06 AM
that's a great idea, Rodne I'll remember that. I collect innies also :)

Sizes range from .75" to 2.25"

for these ones it must be at Barbie's :D

Rodne Gold
02-24-2010, 3:18 AM
Heh , I meant the bigger ones :)
However here is a real good idea for the small ones , put a keytag split ring on em , engrave your co details and then also engrave "if lost , please phone (your co's tel no)" IE provide a free return service for the ppl you give it out to - cos if they have lost their keys , all they do is call you to see if anyone phoned to say they were found..you can even promise a small reward.

The thing is , no one wants to put a big cheapy keytag on their already probably overloaded bunch they carry round , however a small unobtrusive tag is easily added and WILL be added if it offers a free value service. Great for goodwill too...
My "scrap" is generally not used unless its quite large , we do keep bits as test pieces and for promo stuff but we have a service that comes round every so often and collects our brass scrap , ally scrap and acrylic scrap and we get about 30c on the $ for the purchase price as scrap - the cheque is normally of a size that is quite useful.

Shannon McMurrin
02-24-2010, 4:37 AM
Return tag idea would work on things like backpacks, laptop cases, purses, etc. Sounds like something I would use (therefore it MUST be a good idea!)

Michael Hunter
02-24-2010, 6:17 AM
There's a game we use for fundraising : buy an expensive bottle of champaign and sell little round discs for people to put their name on and flick at the bottle (from a fair old distance) : the disc nearest the bottle at the end wins it.

The discs used to be cardboard, but now they are Rowmark Lasermax - courtesy of the switch panels I keep cutting.
It is nice that the quality of the discs matches the quality of the prize!

mike holden
02-24-2010, 9:09 AM
Doug,
Check for a local geocaching group and make them an offer for "geocoins" to be placed in caches.
Alternatively, make round "tuits" with your name and number for advertising.
Mike

Randy Walker
02-24-2010, 9:50 AM
Engrave local golf course logo’s on the small ones and sell them for ball markers to the course or put yours on it and give it to the golf course.
Better yet have a plan for them before you start then you can engrave them as you do the cut out work.

Randy Walker

Scott Shepherd
02-24-2010, 10:27 AM
They are white acrylic, you won't see much of anything if you engrave them.

Bill Cunningham
03-04-2010, 8:41 PM
I had a bunch of 1.25" ones a few years ago. Laid them out on some cardboard, sprayed them black (K.Fusion) and lasered them into gag birth control pill hand outs... Guaranteed to be shown to others by the recipient :D
I recently made some more out of wood..
(place disk on inside of left knee, hold firmly in place with right knee)

Tania Duper
03-05-2010, 4:39 AM
Did anyone shout "Bingo"?

Perhaps you can find a local bingo hall who will buy them off of you if you engrave their name/logo on it?

Glue them to a board and call them "target practice boards".