PDA

View Full Version : John Lucas of Woodshop Demos, RIP

Ray Newman
02-23-2010, 8:17 PM
Soft and safe by thy resting place:
John Lucas
Woodworker (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/)
Website Host (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/) - Woodshopdemos
Passed away February 22, 2010

Some thought John's passion was for woodworking; John's passion was to inspire the woodworker in all of us by giving us the instruction and confidence to tackle a project, to learn a new skill and to craft a piece that we could enjoy for years to come. John will be missed by many.

I am sorry to check in and fill you in on this news. I know he counted you among his friends. My sympathy go out to Sandy, John's wife and his children and his grandchildren. A memorial service will be held later this spring.

Mitchell Garnett
02-23-2010, 8:44 PM
He will be missed. His demos have been helpful to me and I'm sure others.

Richard Wolf
02-23-2010, 8:50 PM
God Speed.

Richard

Mitchell Garnett
02-23-2010, 8:55 PM
I did a search on Google to see if I could learn more. Immediately after his website, the second hit was headlined "John Lucas joins Gallery of Woodworking Greats." The link was referencing something else but how apropo.

If someone does find an obituary, or more information about the memorial service, please post the info. (remove the link if necessary...)

Russell Tribby
02-23-2010, 9:03 PM
Like many people here I used John's site a lot. He made a wealth of information available for the woodworking community. His presence will be missed.

Gail O'Rourke
02-23-2010, 9:04 PM
I posted the announcement on another forum and Ray was kind to pass it along here.

I emailed with John's wife Sandy, there isn't any other information at this time. A memorial will be held for John in June.

If there is any update or information, I will pass it along.

I had the opportunity to spend time with John in his workshop. I owe much of my woodworking success to his support and teaching. I will miss him.

Bob Marino
02-23-2010, 9:13 PM
OMG, this is terrible news. John was a wonderful, kind and generous man. What a loss to the ww community. He will be missed by many.
My condolances to his family.

Bob

Bruce Page
02-23-2010, 9:17 PM
He will be missed by many.

I always enjoyed his website and tutorials. I spent many an hour there.

God speed

Dan Lee
02-23-2010, 9:25 PM
He was so devoted to passing along instruction in our persuit of craftsmanship.

First Niki now John we are all at a loss

Charlie McGuire
02-23-2010, 9:39 PM
God speed John. I spent an hour on his website just this morning - was thinking of getting his CD. I will miss his on-going story.

Anthony Anderson
02-23-2010, 9:44 PM
Very sad news. I thought John just posted a couple of days ago, so I searched SMC. John did post on the Feb. 22nd. He passed too fast! I didn't get the chance to meet him personally, but visited his website many times. I always appreciated his thorough reviews. Through his reviews, he helped me a lot. He was one of those woodworkers that made it look easy.

It would be a nice tribute to a great mentor of woodworking, if we could somehow ensure that his contributions and reviews (via his website) live on. I am not sure how to accomplish this, but we, as a woodworking community, should not allow his work, and contribution of knowledge, to be lost.

I understand it is soon, but if anyone has any ideas, please post.

Thank you John, for everything. My sincerest sympathy to John's family.

Bill

John Terefenko
02-23-2010, 9:46 PM
What are you guys talking about??? Are you talking about John Lucas of turning fame??? Are you talking about the moderator for the turning forum on the Wood site????

Bob Marino
02-23-2010, 10:05 PM
What are you guys talking about??? Are you talking about John Lucas of turning fame??? Are you talking about the moderator for the turning forum on the Wood site????

Nope, neither one. John Lucas was the creator of Woodshopdemos as well as a frequent forum poster. Here's his web-site. http://www.woodshopdemos.com/

Moderators; please remove link if not allowed.

Bob

John Terefenko
02-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Nope, neither one. John Lucas was the creator of Woodshopdemos as well as a frequent forum poster. Here's his web-site. http://www.woodshopdemos.com/

Moderators; please remove link if not allowed.

Bob

Ok thanks Bob. I just saw the name and wasn't sure. Anyone who contributes like that will surely be missed. Rest in peace John.

Glen Blanchard
02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
I am very sorry to hear this. God speed John.

Steve Bagi
02-23-2010, 10:16 PM
What great source of knowledge. He will be missed. Rest in peace.

Bill Huber
02-23-2010, 10:20 PM
I for one will really miss him and his site, it was one of the sites I spent a lot of time on and learned so much form it.

Thank you John, you will be remembered.

My Sympathy goes out to his family.....

John Stevens
02-23-2010, 10:22 PM
John Lucas was knowledgeable, diplomatic, discrete, modest, intelligent, and he had a great, understated sense of humor. I owe much to him, for what he taught me about woodworking via his web site. I'm sure many others can say the same. I'm also grateful for his years of service to his country in the Navy. We all mourn his passing, but our loss is nothing compared to his family's. My sincere condolences go to his wife, children and grandchildren.

Regards,

John

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2010, 10:34 PM
John's contributions to the woodworking world will be missed.

He was always humble and sincere in my few dealings with him.

Terry Hatfield
02-23-2010, 10:38 PM
He will be missed.

glenn bradley
02-23-2010, 11:52 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. John was a true gentleman.

Jim Dunn
02-23-2010, 11:54 PM
Prayers for John and his family. I used his sight alot and always found it helpful. Many thanks John.

Joe Scharle
02-24-2010, 8:21 AM
He will be greatly missed.

Michael Wildt
02-24-2010, 10:04 AM
I've always admired him and his dedication to woodworking. My prayers go out to John and his family. He will be truly missed be many many people.

Lori Kleinberg
02-24-2010, 11:13 AM
I too, have spent plenty of time reading on his website.
My condolances to his family.

Vince Shriver
02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Very sad news.

Ted Miller
02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
What a great man:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/providence/obituary.aspx?n=john-r-lucas&pid=139986386

Garth Keel
02-24-2010, 11:47 AM
All will miss him

Fred Voorhees
02-24-2010, 4:16 PM
Terrible news. If you were/are a woodworker, you sooner or later got around to seeing Johns extensive website and visited it often after that. I know that I personally checked it out often and was amazed at the things that you would see on there on occasion. The woodworking community certainly mourns one of its titans. Rest in Peace John.

Rod Sheridan
02-24-2010, 5:43 PM
My condolences to his family.

John was a great source of information which he shared freely with anyone interested.

I'll miss him..............Rod.

Don Selke
02-24-2010, 9:20 PM
As busy as John was, He would always promptly answer my e-mails and questions in a prompt manner. He was truly a great guy and gentleman. We are losing a great generation of gentlemen.

Scott Coffelt
02-25-2010, 10:32 AM
RIP John,

You really helped a lot of woodworker's, new and experienced with your teaching.

Thanks

Jim Becker
02-25-2010, 7:51 PM
I was very sad to learn of this news. John was a wonderful contributor to the woodworking community for a very long time. He will be missed. I hope that his online resources will remain available to so many who benefit from them.

Gary Herrmann
02-25-2010, 9:49 PM
His was the first web site woodworking site I discovered after this one. Condolences to his family.

Gail O'Rourke
02-28-2010, 7:50 PM
Sandy, John's wife, has checked in on this thread and passes along her utmost thanks to all those who have been so kind. She is touched by your sympathies.

Sandy is working to try to keep the website up and will continue to sell John's CD's until the inventory runs out.

Thanks all,

Gail

Christopher Stahl
02-28-2010, 10:16 PM
My condolences to his family. I really enjoy visiting his website and decided to order his CD. RIP John!

Charles Wilson
03-13-2010, 5:45 PM
My condolences to his family.

Chuck

Neil Brooks
03-13-2010, 6:25 PM
My condolences to his family. I really enjoy visiting his website and decided to order his CD. RIP John!

Mine arrived today.

Hope it helps the family.

My condolences to them, too.... :(

Rich Konopka
03-27-2010, 10:03 AM
I have been so busy with work and nearly no time in the shop. This morning I was trying to figure out how to connect up the parallel guide for my Festool MFT and I went out to John Lucas's website to learn he had passed away last month. Wow !! I was floored. I express my deepest sympathies to John's wife Sandy, family and his friends.

I had the pleasure to meet John a few years back when he graciously opened his shop door to host a Festool Fest. It was such a nice event and to meet someone like John who was so knowledgeable in woodworking.

John I am going to miss you and the contributions you have made to the woodworking community. Rest in peace my friend.

Rich

Mike Cutler
03-27-2010, 10:24 AM
My sincere condolences to John's family. John was a class act and a truly great teacher.He will be very much missed.
God speed John.

jeremy levine
05-13-2010, 11:22 AM
I feel like a fool for posting now but it is a great loss. I was planning an overseas trip for my family and really hadn't been checking SMC or Woodshop demos for most of Feb and March.

He had (has) a really nice site. Very sad