PDA

View Full Version : Tight radius base

Nicholas Bukky
02-23-2010, 7:54 PM
For a project delivering on thurs day I had to create this curved base.

It fits around a 2in radius on the corners of an 8 in tall platform.

I glued up a 4.75 thick 12in long 7.75in wide block of poplar and did a lead in cut with the large profile bit in one pass very slowly.... I did get some tearout on the face of two of the corners and wondered if anyone could suggest a better way to get a cleaner cut. All in all it came out well it is getting painted so a little filler never hurt:) A little time on the band saw and with the sanders and they will be ready to install!!

Thanks for looking,
Nick

Guy Mathews
02-23-2010, 8:58 PM
Nick

Use a climb cut and cut in multiple passes. With climb cut your cutting edge is turning into the project so it presses the grain against the wood.

In Visual Mill I have the option of leaving stock on using a profile cut. Not sure which SW you use. Basically you make a pass and setup to leave on say 1/8. Depending on how sharp your bit is you can make the next pass and remove the remaining stock. On a project such as yours, I would do it in 3 passes. The last pass would be to remove .03 or less. Virtually no sanding required for a piant grade finish with this method.

Guy

james mcgrew
02-24-2010, 7:33 AM
you are getting pretty good with that router!!

jim

Bob Savage
02-24-2010, 11:57 AM
That's very cool, Nick!

I'm having some tearout issues of my own, cutting curly Maple. Need to learn more about climb cutting and setting up finishing toolpaths that Guy's talking about.

I've also encountered my first "burned" (blackened) corners inside some vcarving, using this Maple. Need to figure that out too.

Nicholas Bukky
02-24-2010, 9:08 PM
Thanks Guy for the input. It was the first attempt at something like this and that 1.625x2.5 tall bit spinning around made me:eek: (I use Aspire)

I have been a woodworker for a few years and knew better than to do it in one pass but not savey enough with my software/timeframe for job to do any testing. Usually I fly by the seat of my pants and turn these types of projects finished in a few days with only two hands!

Jim the router leaves a lot to be desired in cut quality. I get to much runout/vibrations but it is better than doing it by hand.

Bob have you tried turning down your spindle speed that might be what is causing you the burns! Do you ever get on the vectic forum there is a lot of good help there for you!!!

Thanks,
Nick

Bob Savage
02-24-2010, 11:27 PM
Bob have you tried turning down your spindle speed that might be what is causing you the burns! Do you ever get on the vectic forum there is a lot of good help there for you!!!

I've had pretty good luck running the router at about 16k rpms so I really haven't experimented. Obviously, this small detail work in maple showed me it's time to experiment. The burns were annoying, but the tearout/shredded edges were actually worse. It only happens when going against the grain, so maybe I need to take shallower passes or something since profiling goes around the piece and I don't know if there's such thing as an approach that goes one way on one side of the part and then the other way to avoid this kind of tearout. Sounds complicated. :)

I do visit the Vectric forum every few days, but should really start posting there more. Tim Merrill and a number of other pros are extremely helpful and very articulate in their explanations.

Nicholas Bukky
02-25-2010, 8:18 AM
Well here it is all done and ready to shipout today.

Bob I learned how to run my router from that site. There are MANY helpful and willing folks on there. It is where I go for most of my questions.:)

Thanks for looking,
Nick

Gene Crain
02-25-2010, 8:35 AM
Turned out very well, nicely done! Now for the no ding delivery...:D

Gene Crain
plantasymaderas DOT com

Bob Savage
02-25-2010, 10:56 AM
Very nice!!!

Thanks for the tip, Nick. I'm going to start posting there more.

Nicholas Bukky
02-25-2010, 1:29 PM
Thanks! I hate using that high gloss paint you see every defect.....
And my heater in the shop quit working last night when I went to spray:(