PDA

View Full Version : How do I remove live center from tailstock

Joe Little
02-23-2010, 6:43 PM
I bought a drill chuck for the 46-460 and cannot get the live center to release. The instructions seem to have you turn crank counterclockwise until live center is released but it doesnt seem to happen and I don't want to force it. Anyone tried this yet? Maybe I need to really muscle it but I have been known to break things when I don't use my head so I am being cautious.
Thanks, Joe

gary butcher
02-23-2010, 6:49 PM
yes, unwinding the tailstock is the normal way to release the live center. I doubt you'll break anything unless something is really badly made. Just make sure the shaft is unlocked before cranking back.

Joseph M Lary
02-23-2010, 6:55 PM
The MT on the drill maybe shorter then your live center . I had a delta and the live center was too short, it had a hole in the end so I added a small nut & bolt to make it longer to get it to release. Hope that helps you.

Joe Little
02-23-2010, 7:08 PM
Thanks Gary, unwinding did work, just needed to apply more pressure. Still taking care of my new toy with kid gloves.:D

Curt Fuller
02-23-2010, 9:47 PM
Joe, it sounds like the morse taper on the drill chuck is too short so it doesn't push out when you back it off. Lay a wide skew or a block of wood between the back of the live center and the cast iron part of the tailstock and then back off the quill and it should pop right out. I'm not much of a 'splainer' so maybe this picture will help....