PDA

View Full Version : Motor problems

Joseph M Lary
02-23-2010, 6:11 PM
Took my headstock and motor in to day to have it looked at . The motor is making a knocking noise after about a hours use .It been going on for a few months . This will be the second motor. I know there are a few of you guys that have this lathe , are you having problems like this ???? .
Jet 1642 EVS2. they took care of it the last time no questions .
Just needed to vent, not real happy about it. Should of spent the extra money and got the Powermatic.:(

Roger Chandler
02-23-2010, 8:23 PM
Took my headstock and motor in to day to have it looked at . The motor is making a knocking noise after about a hours use .It been going on for a few months . This will be the second motor. I know there are a few of you guys that have this lathe , are you having problems like this ???? .
Jet 1642 EVS2. they took care of it the last time no questions .
Just needed to vent, not real happy about it. Should of spent the extra money and got the Powermatic.:(

Joe,

I don't own this lathe, but I have read of several who had a "knocking" problem in the motor, and some have posted about it on the AAW forum, I don't know about here on the Creek.

One poster said the tech guys at Jet said they were having a number of complaints about this issue, and they were hoping to get a handle on what the source of the motor problems seem to be coming from. He had his replaced, but had the problem again..... sounds like what you are experiencing.... are you the one who posted concerning this?

This is somewhere in my "memory bank" however, I don't remember all the specifics.

Joseph M Lary
02-23-2010, 10:50 PM
Roger
Never have posted on the aaw site, but I will take a look and see what I can find.

Mike Ragsdale
02-23-2010, 11:00 PM
Joe

I have the 1642 1.5hp. While I have never had this problem personally I have read where others with it find they were causing the problem by putting too much tension on the belt. I am not sure what everyone uses as a tension guide but I usually just let the weight of the motor put the tension on the belt and tighten it down. This may not be the issue with your lathe but hopefully it will help eliminate one variable.

Richard Madison
02-23-2010, 11:30 PM
Joseph,
Had what sounded like a "bearing knock" and a slight motor noise on my original EVS2 about 4 years ago. Amazon sent me a new one in exchange for the original. No problems on the second one.