PDA

View Full Version : Chinese lettering

Roger Strautman
02-23-2010, 5:52 PM
A couple weeks ago I was given a commission to produce a wall plaque as a gift for a Chinese company. This took plenty of research just to get the right characters in the right places. I did get someone from China to help a little. The plaque is 22" x 17" made of basswood and clear coated.

doris fiebig
02-24-2010, 5:26 AM
beautiful work again. the characters look very convincing, what does the center say ? do you know ? i can recognize the lower kanji, saying year, and i think the left is man, but the others,,, what i like in particular is the border you created, it gives an impression of stretched leather or linnen. very nice, and looks very difficult to cut those very narrow ridges. same in the border of the diamond shape. the narrow ridge is so pleasing, and i bet very difficult to cut. did you start with that to be sure you not spoil the carving in case a miscut would happen ? (though i cannot imagine miscuts happen for you ...) very beautiful work, thank you for sharing.

Roger Strautman
02-24-2010, 5:57 AM
Doris, the top characters spell King Slide. In the diamond area the four outside characters say "Best Luck in Tiger Year" with in the middle being 2010. Down the sides are 4 word phrases, the left "Prosperous and Better Business" the right is "Great Future Far".

Those side by side long straight cuts are the most difficult to maintain consistency. I've did this for enough years now, confidence is on my side and fear of mistakes is non existent.

John Schreiber
02-24-2010, 9:28 AM
Beautiful work. Thank you for sharing.

Aaron Koehl
02-24-2010, 12:59 PM
This is good, because luck is hard to come by in the year of the tiger