PDA

View Full Version : What do you think makes a "successful" woodworker?

Victor Robinson
02-23-2010, 5:32 PM
What do you think are the qualities of a successful woodworker?

Let me define "successful" as being a woodworker who is
1) able to produce woodworking projects with reasonable precision (i.e., they don't fall apart),
2) gain considerable satisfaction from the endeavor and
3) generally continue its pursuit over the years.

Just to keep the discussion focused, let's leave out what the traits are of a successful "for-profit" woodworker, simply because that's going to bring a large set of business skills into the mix.

I'm curious to hear what you all think contributes to "successful" woodworking, and what often gets in the way.

Prashun Patel
02-23-2010, 5:46 PM
I'm not "advanced" (yet), but if finding and being able to do what you love a little bit every day is success, then I'm one darn successful sonuvagun.

John Harden
02-23-2010, 6:06 PM
I'm not "advanced" (yet), but if finding and being able to do what you love a little bit every day is success, then I'm one darn successful sonuvagun.

Agreed. If the scope of the question is limited to those who do not make their living by it, then I'd say a 'successful' woodworker is one who enjoys their time in the shop and what they create.

After all, that's why we do this.

Regards,

John

Stephen Edwards
02-23-2010, 6:10 PM
This is a great question! I think that your 1,2,3 and Shawn's comment about being able spend a little time every day doing something that you love covers a lot of being "successful" as a hobbyist woodworker.

I would add to that:

1. Learning new techniques

2. Thinking through challenges to find solutions

3. Learning how to make many of your own jigs and fixtures instead of buying them

4. Finding and using resources to help you learn to do the the 1,2,3 that I've listed above.

5. A can do attitude and remaining focused are huge assets. Cutting corners when we shouldn't and being satisfied with less than what we're capable of doing are distractions that can prevent us from being the "best" that we can be.

gary butcher
02-23-2010, 7:29 PM
I'll consider myself successful when I get a better than 10-1 scrap ratio :(

Neil Brooks
02-23-2010, 7:34 PM
One that meets their own, individual goals -- whatever they may be.

I think that's the pitfall of the original question: it doesn't distinguish between hobbyist, professional, and the many possible gradations in between.

For me?

If I can do a reasonably good job at building projects of ever-increasing difficulty, that's an A+, in my book.

But ... I'm visually impaired, so ... much of the time ... my A+ comes from just moving forward ... even a little bit ... on any project -- be it a piece of furniture, a shop jig, or a minor modification to an existing tool. Often, it may be learning how to properly sharpen my chisels, or better USE that, or another tool.

It also may be mastering a particular skill set, or just gaining the "book learning" of how to do a better job, the next time -- something I do a fair bit of.

Interesting question, though!

Joe Shinall
02-23-2010, 7:42 PM
One word:

PATIENCE :D

Bruce Page
02-23-2010, 7:44 PM
I consider myself a fairly decent hobbyist woodworker, albeit a slow one.
For me, I’d have to say patience is the key to good woodworking.

Rod Sheridan
02-23-2010, 8:06 PM
In addition to all of the above excellent points................Having a sense of humour is a big help towards being a successful hobby woodworker.

I still laugh at myself when I make two lefts instead of a pair for example......Rod.

Darnell Hagen
02-23-2010, 8:09 PM
Efficiency in the shop and customer service skills.

Kevin Womer
02-23-2010, 8:14 PM
One word:

PATIENCE :D

I agree, and building enough projects to satisfy the wife. Without her support, I'd have a hard time justifying tool purchaes and the invaluable time spent on the craft.

Victor Robinson
02-23-2010, 8:20 PM
Thanks for all of the thoughts so far everyone!

Let me reveal the impetus of the original question - maybe that will clarify what I was hoping to hear from all of you.

I'm a new woodworker - still working on mastering basics like milling, cutting, planning, gluing up, getting to know my tools, etc. At this point, I don't even know if I'll be any good at this hobby, let alone whether I will even enjoy it long-term. I can certainly say that I *think* I will, but I'm also starting to understand my personal traits that make this hobby fit, and those that don't.

So I defined "successful" on my terms - what I am aiming for - basically a competent hobbyist who enjoys what s/he is doing. That probably describes a good portion of SMCers, and at least parts of those who have taken woodworking beyond a hobby.

I suppose the major pitfall of what I was aiming to learn about with my post is that most people here *are* "successful" (as defined by me in the OP) woodworkers and therefore exhibit a lot of the traits required. Unfortunately we probably won't get to hear from all the folks for whom woodworking didn't pan out.

What I've learned from my very very limited experience so far:

Helpful traits:

* Patience - the understanding that projects will take a long time, sometimes stand still, sometimes be puzzling, and that solutions to challenges may not be available or apparent immediately.

* Satisfaction - being able to be satisfied with small accomplishments, even with the finished project looming overhead and seemingly unreachable any time soon.

* Being generally good with one's hands - a minimum level of coordination is required to ensure competence and safety.

* Attention to detail - a tendency towards perfection (without obsession) probably leads to better results. A tendency towards obsession probably leads to things just remaining unfinished or never getting off the ground in the first place.

Unhelpful traits:

* Impatience - obvious. Something I combat nearly each time I'm in the shop. Sometimes it's hard for me to refrain from proceeding on a project task so I can think of better ways to do it, which would often help. This can lead to settling for less than acceptable results in the name of getting it done sooner. I also struggle with being able to leave a particular task alone for the time-being - if I'm not working on it, it becomes a distraction for me until I figure out what I need to figure out to get it done. Although I haven't experienced it yet and hopefully never will, I am sure impatience can lead to the improper attention to safety issues.

* Being easily distracted - I often have a billion things on my mind. As a general rule, I've always been someone who is constantly juggling more things than he can handle. This doesn't help AT ALL in woodworking - it leads to sloppiness and can also pose safety hazards.

* Becoming easily frustrated - Plenty of things in woodworking lead to frustration. Sometimes it's our own lack of skills, sometimes it's the tools, sometimes it's just the way the wood behaves. But frustration can again lead to safety hazards and less-than-stellar work.

I suppose part of the allure of woodworking to me was that it would force me to work on some of my "unhelpful" traits. A lot of room for personal growth, if you will.

Neil Brooks
02-23-2010, 8:23 PM
In addition to all of the above excellent points................Having a sense of humour is a big help towards being a successful hobby woodworker.

I still laugh at myself when I make two lefts instead of a pair for example......Rod.

I have a fairly formidable pile of rights, at my place.

Maybe we should talk :)

Neil Brooks
02-23-2010, 8:28 PM
Victor-

Very nicely put!

I might add that ... another gradation is ... are you building from plans, or are you *making* the plans (a cook vs. a chef)?

It's important to have some perspective -- an ability to step back, and see (woodworking content, here) the forest for the trees.

Example: I just finished a project from plans. Toward the END, I realized a bug in the plans. I had the ability to have seen it, earlier, but was too caught up in the detail.

So ... detail ... yes ... but the ability to step back from it, when needed.

I think there's also a sort of martial arts analogy, here: there are a thousand moves, holds/throws, woods, joinery techniques, and tools. Using the right one for the situation ... is helpful. Maybe that's 'flexibility' more than anything else. Another way to put it might be: not falling into ruts, or unreasonably favoriting particular joins, woods, techniques, and tools ... without good justification.

Play a little :)

Ken Fitzgerald
02-23-2010, 8:33 PM
All the traits listed so far are great.....the biggest one for me

Enjoy the process.

It should be fun!

Brian Penning
02-23-2010, 8:40 PM
[QUOTE=Rod Sheridan;1353904]In addition to all of the above excellent points................Having a sense of humour is a big help towards being a successful hobby woodworker.

I still laugh at myself when I make two lefts instead of a pair for example......Rod.[/QUOTE

Er...what am I missing? 2 lefts are a pair, no?...:D

Chris Kehl
02-23-2010, 9:40 PM
Victor,

It's kind of scary to hear you talk about some of your "unhelpful traits". I would almost think you were peeking in my shop window watching me! :D Impatience - I am getting better, but have to think that this is something every beginning woodworker struggles with. We are so excited to finish something and see the end results that we let things "slide", that a more seasoned hobbyist would not. Thinking about what we're going to do next, instead of concentrating on the task at hand. Frustration - again something that is hard to avoid starting out because we think, " if I just had that (insert dream tool here) I could do this." But on the opposite side of that, it is good for us to figure out the small challenges without that expensive tool. It's how we get better, and polish our skills. So my measure of being "successful" would be that each project I build is better in quality than the one before. Great question.

Chip Lindley
02-23-2010, 10:01 PM
A successful woodworker enjoys self-satisfaction, whether others laud his work or not. Discounting the lauding when he knows he could have done much better. Perserverence to do better next time. Yet, at the same time, knowing when *good enough* is plenty, and his sanity is still intact.

A reverence and respect for wood is essential. We, work with wood which took over 100 years to grow. Some will never grow again. A successful woodworker owes wood his best!

Glen Butler
02-23-2010, 10:29 PM
To me it is about caring about what you do. So often I see garbage just thrown together. Most people can turn out a quality project if they just care. Care to get the measurements accurate, care to get the joints tight, care to get a quality clean finish.

You also have to care to gain the knowledge necessary to do a good job.

That is why I spend so much time on SMC. :D

Victor Robinson
02-23-2010, 11:24 PM
That is why I spend so much time on SMC. :D

And here I thought it was for the girls...

Larry Charlot
02-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Understanding Wife who also has patience

Larry

Brian Kent
02-23-2010, 11:59 PM
Victor - a fun question. I like your own discoveries.

Successful woodworker:

Sometimes make something that at the beginning you did not know how anybody can do that.

Find energy in the creating.

Make something where people come into the room and say "Wow, you can hardly even see the patch where you messed up!":D;)

Bill Whig
02-24-2010, 12:53 AM
I think one needs to be pretty organized just to learn this craft, we've got (at least)

-markup and cutting
-joinery and sharpening
-use of abrasives and finishing
and
-Design. The older I get the more willing I seem to be to spend time on design. When I was "young and foolish" I was in too much of a hurry to start and finish. The idea of something taking more than a few days was practically unthinkable... Having learned something about designing since those days, I find myself taking advantage of it!

Bill

Josh Gilpatrick
02-24-2010, 1:02 AM
Hmm......i consider myself a successful woodworker cuz i can still count to ten.

Keith Westfall
02-24-2010, 1:40 AM
All of the above, without a doubt! Plus a while back I got to "help" my 10 year old granddaughter "build" a prefab birdhouse that grandma got at the local big box store.

We managed to use the drill press, the brad nailer and some glue. She was pretty proud of her accomplishment.

That is a success....

Rick Potter
02-24-2010, 2:57 AM
My three "P's".

Patience...to take the time to learn rather than being upset you cannot
produce a masterpiece on the first try.

Practice...doing simple projects as a learning experience, building skills.

Pride.......when you make something your family or friends consider a
keepsake, and request more. At this point I would consider
oneself to be successful.

Rick Potter

Prashun Patel
02-24-2010, 8:10 AM
Hmm......i consider myself a successful woodworker cuz i can still count to ten.

BWAHAHAHAHA! That's the best one yet!

Dave Gaul
02-24-2010, 8:49 AM
I have only been seriously woodworking for the last year or so, so learning the trade constantly means success to me... but...

The most important measure of success for me is, that if I can make something that I like, or if I make something for someone else and they like or hopefully love it, then I am successful!

Bob Riefer
02-24-2010, 8:59 AM
This was a good thread for me to read, considering I'm more than brand new to woodworking (I only own construction related tools so far, I'm taking a week long course in April, and then plan to launch into the hobby). Thanks for all the posts, very informative.

(although I'm still worried that I'll totally suck at this)

mike holden
02-24-2010, 9:03 AM
A "successful" woodworker is one who enjoys his time in the shop and wants to continue.

The quality of the work produced is not a factor, since you stipulated that commercial woodworking was not to be considered.

Mike

Todd Tyler
02-24-2010, 9:08 AM
Success, in my opinion is enjoying the escape woodworking provides, being pleased with your results (doesn't matter if anyone else is), and ending the day with no blood loss. Seems kind of basic, but I do this as a hobby.
Todd

Walt Nicholson
02-24-2010, 9:29 AM
Success for me was the first time I heard "Grandpa, can we go out and build something in your shop today?" Knowing that another generation might get some of the same enjoyment I have had out of working with with wood.

David Prince
02-24-2010, 9:46 AM
I would look at this two ways. One is success from within. How you feel about your skills and what you take away from it. The second is how others see your skills and what they take away from it.

A person could be so very proud of a piece of woodworking and admire it day after day because they built it. Another could look at that same piece (built by someone else) and see crap! Who is wrong?

I would say that success is a blend of the two. You build something so that it looks and acts like it should and enjoy the process and someone looks at it and feels your joy.

Woodworking is like golf to me. I may never be perfect, but I do enjoy playing the game and trying to better myself. (And keeping in mind that there is NO perfect woodworker nor perfect woodworker project) Everything has fault if you look close enough!

Brian Tymchak
02-24-2010, 10:24 AM
I consider myself a fairly decent hobbyist woodworker, albeit a slow one.
For me, I’d have to say patience is the key to good woodworking.

Right there with ya Bruce..

John Thompson
02-24-2010, 11:15 AM
Patience.. a love of wood and tools.. concentration and attention to detail.. knowing which tool to pull from the tool box for a given job and the ability to use it when you do.. confidence and ability to repair mistakes so they aren't apparent.. the ability to make another tool work if you don't have the correct one for that job.. the challenge of designing your own project.. knowing when to quit for the day when you are either "ahead" or "behind".. Discipline to not cut corners with shop safety...

Hope all of you enjoy this hobby as much as I have over the last 39 years... I'll go finish that lamp table now that I gave my $.02... ;)

Andrew Joiner
02-24-2010, 11:24 AM
2.5 Micron or better nasal hair.

Bill White
02-24-2010, 1:13 PM
Let's see now.......
Ending the day with all the digits ya started with, and finding all the tools ya thought ya had somewhere in the shop.......:confused:
Above all, patience and planning.
Bill

Brian Kincaid
02-24-2010, 2:54 PM
1. Has fun
2. Shares fun with others
3. Has very very cool toys

-Brian

JohnMorgan of Lititz
02-24-2010, 3:45 PM
This was a good thread for me to read, considering I'm more than brand new to woodworking (I only own construction related tools so far, I'm taking a week long course in April, and then plan to launch into the hobby). Thanks for all the posts, very informative.

(although I'm still worried that I'll totally suck at this)

Bob, I feel the same exact way. I've been slowly adding tools and last year took the bigger plunge and bought a workbench, jointer, planer. I've been slowly collecting other odds/ends over the past 4 years.

The past couple projects have taught me a couple things. I'm incredibly hard on myself and seem to have this awful knack of pointing out every flaw. And, I get incredibly frustrated as well.

At the end of the day, I've decided that I still love the machinery, the hand tools, and wood in general. what someone else mentioned really hit home for me - sometimes you have to look at the hobby as opportunities for growth in your personal life: patience, dealing with frustration (a constant for me it seems), concentration at the immediate task at hand.

So I think the long and short of it is, if you have the basic love for the tools and equipment and a desire to build something you and/or others will appreciate, then its a worthwhile investment as a hobby and doesn't matter if you totally suck at it.

Good luck!

Brian Greb
02-24-2010, 4:11 PM
Success in my opinion is first based on personal joy... i.e. do you enjoy your time in the shop or dread it?

After that i would have to say making pleasing pieces... do people other than your self or family like what you make.

next getting a value of self worth out of it... Are you proud of your accomplishments?

next advancing in the craft... do you improve constantly?

finally success is in your attitude...

"Live in the moment, not for the moment... enjoy life and be blessed with success"

Myk Rian
02-24-2010, 4:12 PM
What do you think are the qualities of a successful woodworker?
When you give an item to someone, and it brings tears, you have succeeded at being a wood worker.