PDA

View Full Version : #16 Walnut and Curly Maple - seems to be a recurrent theme!!

John Keeton
02-23-2010, 5:04 PM
On Christmas Eve last year, during the "bomb" raid by a few unsavory fellow creekers (during which I was pounded by a relentless barrage of boxes of wood), Brian Effinger sent me this beautiful chunk of curly maple.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136205&thumb=1&d=1261688406 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=136205&d=1261688406)

I knew at the time that my skill level just wasn't anywhere near doing justice to this piece of wood, so it has been sitting on my shelf just waiting for the right time, and the right project.

The blank was 7" x 2", and while on its own it would have made a nice little bowl, it just seemed that it deserved more. The only way to do that was to come up with a larger design that would incorporate this blank.

So this is what came of it.

Again, some may not care for this design. I intentionally took the bowl through into the walnut foot, and while I think it adds interest, I am not really sure about the look. But, it is a little late for that thought!!:D

Getting this one sanded out was really tricky! And, it could be better, but I was afraid to do much more. As Curt Fuller said, trying to get a decent transition line with a glue up is tough. I actually turned this in three stages so that I could assure that the various layers would spin true to the end. While it may not appear so, the grain direction on all the pieces are pretty close. They were not all sawed the same (quarter/rift/etc.), so getting them exactly the same was not possible. You just take your best shot!

9 3/8" x 3 5/8" and 5 3/4" across the bowl opening.

Hope you like it, but as always, this is just a fun journey and I want honest input. Can't get better without your help!! Thanks for taking the time to look - again, and again, and.....

Sean Hughto
02-23-2010, 5:06 PM
Looks cool from here. Follow your bliss.

Bill Bolen
02-23-2010, 5:18 PM
Another beautiful piece John. Kinda has an "old world" feel to it...Bill..

Brian Effinger
02-23-2010, 5:47 PM
Wow, John, your finishing schedule really brought the wood to life. The bowl is just beautiful. I also like the walnut at the bottom a little more now because it seems to blend in a little better. The finish gave both woods a complimentary golden hue.

Well done. You certainly did that wood justice. :)

Brian

David Christopher
02-23-2010, 5:54 PM
John, I really like this one. the woods and finish are beautiful.........and your favorite two woods

Steve Schlumpf
02-23-2010, 6:03 PM
Great looking bowl John! Nice combination of woods! Very interesting rim treatment! Do not believe I have seen that variation before! Pretty cool!

Looks like you have the finishing process down really good also! Very nice work! Seriously - very nice! Thanks for sharing!

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2010, 6:28 PM
Great looking bowl John. I do like the wood combo.

Paul Atkins
02-23-2010, 6:30 PM
Boy, are we having fun or what? Looks great.

Mark Hubl
02-23-2010, 8:00 PM
Well the hits just keep on coming. I really like the mixed wood and the shape of the piece. Not crazy about the shape of the foot or the dot of walnut on the bottom. I think that the foot could have been a little more petite. As for the dot, it makes me think funnel. Just my two cents, but really another nice piece John.

Also been meaning to ask, probably in one of your early posts, did you have your wooden nickels made or do you do those yourself?

David E Keller
02-23-2010, 8:10 PM
Beautiful wood on both counts. I'm not sure I like the walnut at the bottom... maybe a walnut foot but not visible from the inside of the bowl? Just an off the cuff impression.

I absolutely love the rim treatment. The finish is great and lends a nice warmth to the piece overall.

I love the variety of the turning that you've done so far. Looking forward to #17. Just a question; Did you crank out flat work at this pace? If so, your home must be filled with tables, chests, and chairs.;)

Leo Van Der Loo
02-23-2010, 8:15 PM
John I really like the combination the fit and finish and shape, very nicely done, But, I don't like the plug in the bottom, intentionally or not, it has that look, sorry.
I don't like putting it this way, it's just the way I feel about it :o

Roger Chandler
02-23-2010, 8:16 PM
John,

SAWEEEEEEEET! Nice finish and form. Pretty spiffy and very admirable.

Sean Ackerman NY
02-23-2010, 8:18 PM
I like the coziness of the outer rim and the warmth of the inside of the bowl. Like the others, not terribly keen on the dot o' walnut.

Are you cranking these bad boys out daily? I just started paying attention to your bombardment of picture threads everyday, so excuse my ignorance.

Roland Martin
02-23-2010, 8:21 PM
You kind of can't go wrong with a figured maple & walnut combination. This certainly is a unique and interesting design. Probably the only thing I'm not sure I like is the walnut foot through the bottom of the bowl. Overall, I think this is a continuation of your fine turning skills.

Donny Lawson
02-23-2010, 8:28 PM
Beautiful bowl John, I can see it now.,one of these days you will be famous and look back on these bowls and see how it all started. You may not think that now but your work is REALLY good.Share your secret,how do make those bowls so RIGHT? I am serious those are great.I look foward to looking on here to see your next project.Keep 'em commin!!!!!!! It's a great inspiration to us all.:D
Donny

Doug W Swanson
02-23-2010, 8:29 PM
John,

Another quality piece!

I do think it would look better without the walnut dot inside the bowl. Otherwise, it looks really good. I like the different shape in the maple part and the rim. It adds a little flair to it!

JMO,
Doug

Joe Wiliams
02-23-2010, 8:40 PM
I like the 'dot' on the bottom:)

A bowl just like this was on my list of things to try once I get set up;)

Robert McGowen
02-23-2010, 8:41 PM
I guess that you have figured out from the above posts, that if a bowl turner sees this piece, the walnut showing through the bottom says "I saved this funnel!" It is unique though and probably more interesting than a 7" maple bowl.

Wally Dickerman
02-23-2010, 8:48 PM
Very lovely John. The curves from rim to the foot are excellent. The ogee form is very good.

I'll join some others on the foot. It's too heavy looking. Doesn't go with the rest of the bowl. A nice reverse curve coming from the body of the bowl would look a lot better. And perhaps not quite so tall.

I think that if you show the bowl to a non turner that most would like the walnut on the inside bottom of the bowl. What turner hasn't gone through the bottom of a lovely piece of wood and "saved" it by adding a contrasting color bottom? So that's how a turner thinks. That still doesn't make it a bad thing IMO.

The bead on the outside of the bowl? I think that you have a very nice form here and it doesn't need further embellishment.

This is perhaps nit picking, but I think that there is a bit too much walnut at the rim. It detracts from the really good curly maple.

John, I hope that I haven't picked this very well done bowl apart too much. I've taught turning to hundreds of students over the years, and have given tough critiques to all of them. Most of them appreciate it because it's the only way to learn. Of course not everybody agrees with my opinions....

Wally

John Keeton
02-23-2010, 9:15 PM
Thanks for looking, and for the comments. I agree on the "donut hole" in the bottom. Somewhere I saw a similar treatment on a bowl, and thought it would be neat. But, as soon as I opened up the walnut, I was pretty sure I had made a mistake. Just another lesson learned along the shavings strewn path!!

Brian, I really do appreciate the wood, and I do hope this is a fitting tribute for it. The BLO and shellac really did a great job of warming up the walnut and curly maple.

Wally, thanks for the honest critique. On the walnut rim, in order to have the form I did, I needed that much walnut. The transition had to occur at the change in curve, and the bead is there to mask the glue line and help with the transition of color. I used all of the thickness of the curly maple, so there wasn't much else I could do and have the overall form.

The basic form of this bowl were from one of the many drawings in Raffan's book. The rim style, the foot, the bead, and the basic proportions among those elements. His, of course, didn't have a "donut" in the bottom!;) And, it wasn't of two woods. I can see where less foot would probably be better, but I needed the thickness for my experiment with the walnut showing in the bottom, since I have the medallion inset. I also think an outswept foot might look good, as well. Raffan showed a beaded foot, but I thought that would certainly be too heavy with everything else that is going on with this bowl.

Also been meaning to ask, probably in one of your early posts, did you have your wooden nickels made or do you do those yourself?George Perzel, a creeker that hangs out in the Laser forum did them for me. They are 1.5" maple and recessed for a penny - just can't find any 2010 pennies yet!

Did you crank out flat work at this pace? If so, your home must be filled with tables, chests, and chairs.;)Not hardly!! I kind of like the 1-2 day start to finish on these bowls. Just hope I can convince myself to do flatwork again!

John I really like the combination the fit and finish and shape, very nicely done, But, I don't like the plug in the bottom, intentionally or not, it has that look, sorry.
I don't like putting it this way, it's just the way I feel about it :oLeo, I asked for and want honest input. I agree on the bottom, and I certainly appreciate your thoughts, and your knowledge. You have done more bowls than I have time left on this earth to think about!

Are you cranking these bad boys out daily? I just started paying attention to your bombardment of picture threads everyday, so excuse my ignorance.Sean, this is pretty much your fault - you sold me the Delta midi!!:D;)

Craig Fales
02-23-2010, 9:17 PM
I love the look of curly. Nice bowl.

Curt Fuller
02-23-2010, 9:23 PM
Another beauty John! My favorite feature is the bead underneath the rim where the walnut meets the maple. That looks really sharp. Are the two woods fit together with a short tenon like joint? It's been my experience that if you can join them that way it greatly decreases the odds of the joint separating at some point because of wood movement. Very nice looking bowl though, the only negative would be that I agree with Leo's comment on the walnut showing through on the base. I've done the same myself to make a deeper bowl from a thin piece of extra nice wood. But to other turners that can have the "oops I turned through the bottom" appearance.

John Keeton
02-23-2010, 9:28 PM
Thanks Curt! The walnut is surface glued to the maple with Titebond. My experience on flatwork with Titebond is that the wood will split before the joint will fail on a long grain glueup. Hope that holds true on round stuff!!

Tony De Masi
02-23-2010, 9:41 PM
John, I like the overall shape of this one and of course the combination of walnut and maple, well forget about it!!!!!!!

I personally don't care for the walnut at the bottom inside. I've done this myself and I didn't care for it after I did it either.

So, what's #17's progress???????????

Tony

John Keeton
02-23-2010, 9:55 PM
Tony, I think the next piece will be Claro and curly maple again - another lidded piece. My daughter ended up with the one I did, and my wife wants one. This next one will be a different form with some similar features.

I have purchased a BUNCH of Claro walnut from Mike Smith, and I really like turning it. Plus, the Claro I get from him is nearly all figured and dry.

gary Zimmel
02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Another winner John!
Keep them coming....

Kevin J Lalonde
02-23-2010, 10:17 PM
Mr. John I do like the piece. It wont be long and people on here are going to be identifying pieces as "KEETON'S". You certainly have a style going that is all your own. So where do I sign up for these turning classes you are offering? :D

Thom Sturgill
02-24-2010, 7:20 AM
John, I understand wanting to use the maple in a larger piece, and my art training says that minor color elements need to be repeated so the foot makes sense, but I would have tried to make it lighter, possibly incorporating some carving to separate the ring into three separate feet. I would not cut through the bowl like that (unless it were a 'save') unless I did something special in the center like a segmented star or something, although I have intentionally exposed a tenon on the bottom of an applied foot.

All in all a nice piece, and as you've said a learning experience. Looking forward to more.

Rob Cunningham
02-24-2010, 12:48 PM
Another good looking bowl John. I like the combo of the woods and the overall shape.

Joe Little
02-24-2010, 2:32 PM
I love the combination of wood, very artistic.

Roger Bullock
02-24-2010, 4:10 PM
Another great looking bowl John. I have to agree on the interior not being just right but that may be the turner cutting too deep in all of us speaking. Since you seem to have the time (based on the number of bowls you have been turning out lately), maybe you could turn a small mound like you did for the "Bad Moon Arising" turning.
By the way, it's always good to see one more "Keeton". Can't wait for your first book "Early Turnings" by John Keeton.

Steve Mawson
02-24-2010, 8:35 PM
John,
You are making that Delta PROUD, bet it doesn't hardly cool off. Great way to show off that maple.

John Keeton
02-24-2010, 8:56 PM
Thanks to the rest for taking the time to look and comment. It means a lot. I do have to admit, the Delta isn't getting much rest!! But, I think it enjoys the workouts!:D

Michael Dromey
02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
You do very nice turnings. I am just learning. I have two small boys. So I don't get to just turn often. I am kept busy doing lots of other woodworking. But I have fun doing it all.

John Keeton
02-26-2010, 6:41 AM
I am kept busy doing lots of other woodworking. But I have fun doing it all.Thanks, Michael, and I fondly remember my former days of doing "lots of other woodworking!":D;)

It seems like only last year that I was a flatworker. Oh, yeah, it was only last year!:eek:

Enjoy those boys - that is far more important. My youngest is 35!!

Michael Dromey
02-26-2010, 10:56 PM
You are correct, they are the most important thing. I do really enjoy them. My wife and I were blessed with the best boys in the world.