PDA

View Full Version : A New Exotic Wood... Aka "Piano Wood"

James Combs
02-23-2010, 5:04 PM
I went on a mission trip last fall with some friends to Cumberland Maryland. We were there to help a sister church put up a retaining wall and do some work inside the church. One item inside the church was to remove an old upright piano from the basement. We had to destroy it to get it out. I got to keep the wood from it. I have made a couple of pens from some birdseye Maple:D I found in it and there are some other nice pieces. Even a little bit of old cherry. Most of it was veneered poplar, however I am curious about some structural columns that were veneered with 1/8" Maple. The wood doesn't look like anything I have seen before but I am guessing that it is fir.:confused: Take a look and give me your opinion.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=309

Bill Bolen
02-23-2010, 5:21 PM
The cross grain looks like some sort of fir...pine maybe? ..Bill...

Ray Bell
02-23-2010, 6:51 PM
Very nice, I wonder if my wife would object to me tearing up the dining room table, or maybe the entertainment center. Might be some really nice pen wood in there;)

Nathan Hawkes
02-23-2010, 7:14 PM
Soundboards in (good) pianos are usually made of spruce, I believe.

Nathan Hawkes
02-23-2010, 7:18 PM
Looked at the link. Doesn't look like spruce, and it obviously wasn't the soundboard. I'd guess fir as well, but my experience is pretty limited. Whatever you do, don't waste it. That is some tight grained old growth stuff there.

Andrew Kertesz
02-23-2010, 7:21 PM
What were the keys made of? Even if they were ivory veneer it would make some nice inlays in some pens.

James Combs
02-23-2010, 7:54 PM
Not to worry. There is no such thing as wasted wood in my shop.:)

Looked at the link. Doesn't look like spruce, and it obviously wasn't the soundboard. I'd guess fir as well, but my experience is pretty limited. Whatever you do, don't waste it. That is some tight grained old growth stuff there.

Roland Martin
02-23-2010, 7:58 PM
My best guess would be fir also.

James Combs
02-23-2010, 7:59 PM
I don't know ivory from soap. However, I have been thinking the same thing as far as a pen inlay. I only kept maybe half a dozen, never thought about using the ivory at the time just kept some for the sake of keeping it. The white keys have a grain to them. Probably not plastic that early in the century. I will try to burn a flake of one and see what I get.

What were the keys made of? Even if they were ivory veneer it would make some nice inlays in some pens.

kenneth walker
02-24-2010, 11:29 AM
The black keys should be Ebony.

John Keeton
02-24-2010, 11:51 AM
JD, the white keys could be cellulose. It has a grain similar to ivory, but doesn't yellow as much as ivory does. Many of the older pianos/organs had cellulose.

Brian George
02-24-2010, 12:18 PM
The way you can tell if it is real ivory is to touch it to a flame. Rel ivory does not burn, just gets smokey. I brought back an ivory carving from Africa many years ago and someone told that's how to test. It does work.

charlie knighton
02-24-2010, 12:44 PM
James, thanks for sharing and for the ideas!!!!!

James Combs
02-24-2010, 1:30 PM
I believe you are right on the black keys. They kind of chuck out like hard candy (not as easily) if you break one.

The black keys should be Ebony.

James Combs
02-24-2010, 1:34 PM
Good possibility on the keys being cellulose because they aren't yellowing. Being that they are nice and white makes them good candidates for pen inlaying or segmentation borders. Will do one and post a pic.

JD, the white keys could be cellulose. It has a grain similar to ivory, but doesn't yellow as much as ivory does. Many of the older pianos/organs had cellulose.

kenneth walker
02-24-2010, 4:26 PM
years ago i knew a man that worked on pianos he rekeyed them and I would get all the old ebony and ivory keys I wanted.