PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Pens Album

James Combs
02-23-2010, 3:27 PM
Yesterday I posted another album. This time it is some of my favorite pens. It can be seen at:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/album.php?albumid=308

They are not on a par with those of guys like John Terefenko but they keep my hands busy.:) No cracks about my home made stands either.:D

michael gallagher
02-23-2010, 4:13 PM
James-

I like your homemade stand (hey it's functional!). I think your best pen is the walnut one you made for your sister - good form and yes, the color does look a little different.

Bernie Weishapl
02-23-2010, 6:36 PM
James that is a bunch of good looking pens. I do like the stand.

John Keeton
02-23-2010, 7:01 PM
JD, I think the walnut is my pick. I don't care much for the profiled pens with the various shapes. But, I know little about them.

I have never used CA as a finish, and do not know what the compatibility is, but a coat of BLO, followed by dewaxed shellac really brings walnut to life.

David E Keller
02-23-2010, 8:20 PM
Nice looking pens, and I think you're off to a good start. Just like other turned items, there is seemingly no end to the cost or complexity of the types of pens that can be turned. DAMHIT.

Roland Martin
02-23-2010, 8:29 PM
Nice stands (did I say that out loud?):D Seriously, that is a nice pen collection you've got. Nice work.

Matt Ranum
02-23-2010, 9:27 PM
Nothing wrong with those pens! Nice work!

Billy Tallant
02-23-2010, 9:35 PM
Nice lookikng pens. I'm a fan of the Wall Street & Sierra pens. I like the walnut pen myself.

James Combs
02-24-2010, 1:27 PM
The profiles don't do a lot for me either but that is what my clients have been asking for. No accounting for taste is there?:) I don't mind doing them because they give me practice in shaping.:cool:

BTW I will be giving the CA/BLO combo finish a try soon as I can get into my shop (too cold).

JD, I think the walnut is my pick. I don't care much for the profiled pens with the various shapes. But, I know little about them.

I have never used CA as a finish, and do not know what the compatibility is, but a coat of BLO, followed by dewaxed shellac really brings walnut to life.