PDA

View Full Version : Got My Lathe!!!!

James Farrow
10-30-2004, 9:39 AM
Well, I got my lathe. The Jet 1014 Mini Wood Lathe.

Still in the box though. Will try to set it up today.

The reason it is still in the box as I spent most of yesterday putting together a Mastercraft Workbench. They were on sale at CT for $69.99 (half price). Pretty good size. 48" wide, 24" deep, and about 60" high at the back. Has a bottom shelf, work surface, peg board on the back and a top shelf. And 2 drawers.

Assembly wasn't to bad except that for some reason they always have you putting "locknuts" in the most inaccessible places. Lots of cursing and swearing. LOL! Took a while too. It's a bugger to put these large things together when you are by youself. You spend half your time wrestling with the bloody thing. LOL! Must weigh over a 100 pounds.

Anyway, also got a bench grinder, and a 16" scroll saw. Will wait for the new Delta 10" bandsaw to come out and see if I can fit that in somewhere.

Just have to get all the small things now. Clamps, Chisels, sandpaper, calipers, face guard, bench brush, couple of extra faceplates, etc... etc...

Making a list and then hit LV or BB.

Great Stuff!

James :)

Tyler Howell
10-30-2004, 9:56 AM
James,
We share in your good fortune and revel in the excitement of a new toyl. I'm sure it is the intoxicating effect of the "NEW Tool Smell" that caused disorientation and a lapse in memory. Just a gentle reminder of the importance of pix with a gloat. I see from your post there will be other reasons to post pix very shortly. :p :p
Congrats and make some wood chips ;)

Ken Fitzgerald
10-30-2004, 10:10 AM
James.....I didn't get here fast enough to warn you about the 2 senior officers of the "Photo Cops" :eek: :rolleyes: :D .....Tyler's already been here. Good luck with the setups!

Ted Shrader
10-30-2004, 10:34 AM
James -

Congratulations on your new acquisitions! Looks like you made some good choices. After you get a break from playing with your new to..err... TOOLS, don't forget a picture or two.

Regards,
Ted

James Farrow
10-30-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks!

Yes, once I get the lathe set up I will take pictures of everything.

Alan Ryalls
10-30-2004, 2:46 PM
hi, james I can remember my first day unpacking the lathe,had to buy the wife a bunch of flowers to keep her sweet,and had to do ever since,but she"s worth it.
alan

Glenn Hodges
10-30-2004, 7:39 PM
Congtratulations James, what are you planning to turn?

James Farrow
10-30-2004, 7:50 PM
Thanks everyone!

Looking forward to start.

Plan on doing bowls, vases, candlestick holders, candle holders, etc..
Got some ideas for some segmented ones but will learn on one piece
ones first.

Bruce Shiverdecker
11-02-2004, 12:07 AM
Welcome to the Slippery slope of Round. It's HARD to go back to the Flat World after turning your first Freedom Pen!

Bowls have the same effect!

Bruce